Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do the Irish not realise swearing is offensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Swearing is about as rude as people saying 'am', 'ah' or 'um'. Everybody swears. I bet the Pope has sweared a few times. So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

krudler wrote: »
    Fuck is the greatest word in the English language.

And the most versatile ;)

Greetings
    How the fúck are you?
    Fraud
    I got fúcked by the car dealer.
    Dismay
    Oh, fúck it!
    Trouble
    Well, I guess I'm fúcked now.
    Aggression
    Fúck You!
    Disgust
    Fúck Me!
    Confusion
    What the fúck
    ?
    Difficulty
    I don't understand this fúcking business.
    Despair
    Fúcked again.
    Incompetence
    He fúcks up everthing.
    Displeasure
    What the fúck is going on here?
    Lost
    Where the fúck are we?
    Disbelief
    Unfúckingbelievable!
    Retaliation
    Up your fúcking ass!

It can be used to tell time
    It's five fúcking thirty in the morning!

It can be used in an anatomical description
    He's a fúcking asshole!

It can be used in bussiness
    How the fúck did I wind up with this job?

It can be maternal
    as in "Motherfúcker"

It can be politcal-- "Fúck Obama"

And never forget General Custer's last words : "Where did all them fúcking indians come from?"

Also, the famous last words of the mayor of Hiroshima "What the fúck was that?"

And, last, but not least, the immortal words of the captain of the Titanic, who said, "Where is all this fúcking water coming from?"

:)

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~choh/fcuk.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As in 'ah for fu*k sake will ya put it back in'?

I'm glad someone was awake enough to get it.:D

Ooh matron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What is swearing? What decides which words are swear words? Why is a swear word any different to other words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

OP you sound like you belong in the temperance league of women in 1920. Get the fcuk over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well now I'm hardly the shrinking violet, and I'm sometimes a grumpy fecker but I'm in agreement with the OP.

I'm not offended by bad language but I try to keep it to a minimum myself and I do sometimes wonder why Irish people curse so much.

I posted in another thread re. South Africans and working security with them.

When they started coming here (in large numbers) around 2001 there was always trouble because someone would tell them to "fu*k off* (over something trivial), I had to explain (and took pains to do so) that everyone here uses bad language and that there is a hundred ways we tell people to ''fu*k off".

Bad language is simply avoided and used only when necessary in most other cultures.

But how do people who dont like swearing only using bad language when they feel it is necessary? What constitutes necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

lahalane wrote: »
    But how do people who dont like swearing only using bad language when they feel it is necessary? What constitutes necessary?

It's totally arbitrary, which is why people saying that it only should be used when necessary or kept to a minimum are so full of shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

As a test i just checked our codebase for the word "cunt".
    398 occurrences.

Not sure your theory is gonna pan out universally.

Is that a lot or a little?

How big is your company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Because it isn't.

If swearing is considered so inoffensive, then why are so many words on this thread replaced by stars??!

*Not offended by them myself, especially when driving. I curse like a sailor when I'm driving.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It happens in lots of countries and lots of languages!

Ireland's FAR from unusual in that regard.

If you think Irish / British English speakers are bad, try Spanish! It's like ¡Hola!**** **** ***** beep ***** **** ***** BEEEP ;$$£ !!

Same in French most of time!

The big issue is when you're interacting with post-puritanical North Americans who are offended by 'potty mouths'.

Incidentally, there's plenty of swearing in the big cities in the US, especially the Northeast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yorky wrote: »
    Might've known the sort of replies that Boards would attract...
    If you came on AH looking for a polite discussion on swearing, I'm left to assume that you're missing some of your marbles.
    It simply displays a distinct lack of vocabulary.
    What do you say if you stub your big toe into the table leg in your kitchen whilst walking barefoot?
    Never in front of women
    One could therefore claim that he was a chauvinistic bastard who thought that women would be mentally scarred by bad words?
    My last reply to the omnipresent Boards pond life
    I somehow doubt this very much, as can't seem to fully fcuk off :pac:

=-=

Also, the foreigners don't use english swear words, as they have their own swear words; http://www.youswear.com

Personally I hate seeing f**k in newspapers. Its like theyre getting away with cursing? If they realise that the word is 'bad' then why type it in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Bad language is simply avoided and used only when necessary in most other cultures.

Frankly, and fittingly, that is bollocks.

I don't know if you've met any of our Polish friends but I can tell you that the word you will hear them say the most, kurwa, is not a "nice" word. English, Aussies, Scots, even the French are fond of a bit of merde and salope, and worse. Scheise! Fanculo!

The only people I've ever met who actively refrain from colourful embellishments in their language are upper middle-class white Americans. They're generally shockingly boring though, so that's no great surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You will be back.

C U next tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is it simply high-level ignorance - Do they actually understand what the words mean?
    I would guess they do know, and they do not find slang words for genitals or sexual acts offensive, which I am guessing are the slang words that you find offensive -since these are the most common words banned in films & media. Do you find any other slang terms offensive, like scoops for alcoholic drinks or anything?

It can be down to phonetics too, most people have no problem with urination, but might be offended by the slang term piss, but not wee. cunt/fanny, willy/dick. Some just phonetically sound more harsh.

Take two people in a situation where they're suddenly surprised by something. Person A might say "Fuck". Person B might say "Golly!" Why, if these two words are expressing the same emotion, is one word deemed more offensive than the other.
    +1, also golly is knowingly used by some people in place of God, like Jeez is used by some in place of Jesus, or people casually saying OMG. So it would make sense that many religious people would/should be FAR more offended by this breaking of one of the 10 commandments, than somebody using slang terms for body parts or sexual activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Is that a lot or a little?

How big is your company?

70 people, and that's number gets bigger when you add other choice words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

To be clear, it's entirely reasonable to be offended by anything under the sun.

Personally I don't like girls saying c*nt. It's a weird little neurosis I have.

What isn't ok is thinking that offense - which is the result of your own ****ed up brain generating this nonsensical feeling - grants you some sort of rights over how other people talk or act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

If you want a great laugh, use the word cunt like you would use the word "the" in front of Americans.

The look of horror on their faces is side splittingly hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I think I speak for the majority when I say:

Good
    Fucking
    Riddance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

Solair wrote: »
    The big issue is when you're interacting with post-puritanical North Americans

Got into a huge row on a mainly American Facebook group when I dared defend a friend whose language was deemed "unacceptable" (and it was an Irish woman who started the complaints!). They would mention their god crap every second sentence and expect us to deal with it, but their precious little eyes couldn't handle "that awful four letter word that starts with an f". I created a new Facebook account in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Get over yourself OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Might've known the sort of replies that Boards would attract...

Yeah, because ye'd get such a different reception in the other place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Waaaaaaaaah!

You forgot the AH-BLOO-BLOO

cuilteanna wrote: »
    Got into a huge row on a mainly American Facebook group when I dared defend a friend whose language was deemed "unacceptable" (and it was an Irish woman who started the complaints!). They would mention their god crap every second sentence and expect us to deal with it, but their precious little eyes couldn't handle "that awful four letter word that starts with an f". I created a new Facebook account in the end.

The yanks are funny like that, god love them.

• Advertisement

It never ceases to amaze me how much the Irish swear- just in routine conversation & the more relaxed they seem to be the more profane they get. Men & women alike - young or old - men in front of women, women to women, women to men, even adults in front of children.

It's especially cringeworthy when listening to a non-Irish national whom, after being here a while, would make a native blush. I sometimes contemplate the rude awakening they will get if they move on to another English-speaking country.

Is it simply high-level ignorance - Do they actually understand what the words mean?

I didn't make you find those words offensive, you did.

We have move on from ye olde days when "bull-feathers" was offensive.

Your rock is that way ---->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Nodin wrote: »
    The yanks are funny like that, god love them.

I hate the way they call swearing cussing though - something about it gives me the creeps.

No cussin'

/shudders

CruelCoin wrote: »
    You forgot the AH-BLOO-BLOO

Only one thing for it at this stage....

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I hate the way they call swearing cussing though - something about it gives me the creeps.

No cussin'

/shudders

'No cussin, cousin Merl, ah don't like them words comin outta yer purty mouth'

GarIT wrote: »
    What is swearing? What decides which words are swear words? Why is a swear word any different to other words?

The national outraged auld biddies committee, in collaboration with the "It's terrible Joe" brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

they will get if they move on to another English-speaking country.

High level ignorance< do you understand what this means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I'm going to post this once more, if you think it doesn't make sense then I urge you to think hard about it.

If you are offended by something, you deserve it. You have let yourself be offended by it.
    If someone makes a statement that you find offensive, there are only two possible outcomes to the statement:

1. The statement is false or incorrect, and you should ignore the person, they have no validity anymore.

2. The statement is true or correct, truth is something you need to accept, being offended by it is illogical.

Deal wiv it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

looksee wrote: »
    Ok then, all the current 'swear' words are just normal language and expression. So what do you say when you really feel strongly about something - like you hammer your thumb or need to sort someone who is abusing you?

F**kin jaysus is my usual response when I hurt my finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'd be very interested to see any research into whether those who swear are inarticulate or lacking a decent vocablary. My own experience, though no more valid than the OPs, indicates the opposite. Some of the most profane people I know would leave the OP searching for his thesaurus, were he to share his narrow-minded, judgemental views with them.

I have also found other nationalities, both English and non-English speaking, to swear just as much, if not more, than us Irish. From what I've seen it mostly comes down to an issue of self-perceived class. Those who are comfortable with their position, whether they be wealthy or poor, are rarely offended by swearing, whereas those who strive to be perceived as "better" than they are tend to loudly proclaim their sensitivities.

I'm more than capable of finding several ways to express my opinion, but nothing releases the tension, mor soothes my frustration, more than saying "bollox". It's a great word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I'm more than capable of finding several ways to express my opinion, but nothing releases the tension, mor soothes my frustration, more than saying "bollox". It's a great word.

+1

My absolute favourite swear word. I spell it "bollocks" though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The references to Stephen Fry are a case in point. He knows precisely when to use & when he is using such terms. Could not ascribe ignorance to him.

Aww you special snowflake, it must be hard for you to tolerate the ignorance and vulgarity displayed by every boards member who has a an opinion which slightly differs from yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

mike65 wrote: »
    Swearing is the refuge of the inarticulate

I have to disagree. Nana Billy is one of the most intelligent & articulate women that I know (ok, I am also a bit biased because she's my Mum), but that said she swears like a docker when required.

There's a time & a place for fncking everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

IMO swearing or Cursing as we Irish call it, isn't offensive unless you mean it to be

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

In many cases swearing is used in Ireland as a form of punctuation. Was on the DART recently with the kids and these two middleaged guys dressed in suits were having a conversation, and every second word seemed to be F***, or F***ing. Thankfully the tots were asleep, otherwise I might have politely asked them to keep the effing language down a little. It seemed like second nature to them, so I guess they wearn't even aware that they were cursing all the bloody time :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

It never ceases to amaze me how much the Irish swear- just in routine conversation & the more relaxed they seem to be the more profane they get. Men & women alike - young or old - men in front of women, women to women, women to men, even adults in front of children.

It's especially cringeworthy when listening to a non-Irish national whom, after being here a while, would make a native blush. I sometimes contemplate the rude awakening they will get if they move on to another English-speaking country.

Why is it high-level ignorance ?

Some Irish people swear liberally and some use it to punctuate sentences. I would hope that most people don't do it because they have a limited vocabulary but I'd really only see it as a problem if the swear words were said in anger and directed towards someone. I do find it offensive if an adult swears at a child for example but if they happen to use certain words in the presence of others I don't have a major issue with it.

In most cases censorship is what gives swear words their potency

If someone swears a lot and moves to another English speaking country they will have the intelligence to figure out that its causing offense / embarassment if it is.

Having been in other English speaking countries I saw more ads in NZ with swear words in them than I've ever seen here.
    I've heard plenty of swearing in certain environments too - sports events and the like.

At least Irish people don't use it as a substitute for being funny. Take a look at many an American or even British stand up comedian and much of the routine will just be them swearing-- oh the hilarity. Americans in particular love to drop the F bomb as they'd put it or use the C word for maximum impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

looksee wrote: »
    So let me get this right, you are commenting on a (presumed) English person querying Irish culture in Ireland, but you feel free to disparage English people who defend their culture against Irish people in England?
    no,the user like many have mistaken england to be an alternative word for london, we arent all from there and many of us come from a completely different background to that upperclass southern plummy stereotype,its amazing how people think london is the country when some of us are living hundreds of miles away in the same country.

ireland is no different to england when it comes to swearing and scotland is the same to.
    the lower rungs of society; the chav culture involves a lot of swearing because they have been socialy manipulated into believeing swear words are a bad thing and that is what fuels them, in england people have been arrested for saying simple undirected swear words in front of police officers under the anti social behavior law.

swear words arent developed to target specific groups,people can use them to mean what ever they want,its not the swear using persons fault if someone automaticaly takes offense to it because they have had it beaten into them not to swear though it is good to consider everyone and how they woud be effected,not just about self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bluewhitehoops

swearing is very expressive, love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Laneyh wrote: »
    Why is it high-level ignorance ?

Some Irish people swear liberally and some use it to punctuate sentences. I would hope that most people don't do it because they have a limited vocabulary but I'd really only see it as a problem if the swear words were said in anger and directed towards someone. I do find it offensive if an adult swears at a child for example but if they happen to use certain words in the presence of others I don't have a major issue with it.

In most cases censorship is what gives swear words their potency

If someone swears a lot and moves to another English speaking country they will have the intelligence to figure out that its causing offense / embarassment if it is.

Having been in other English speaking countries I saw more ads in NZ with swear words in them than I've ever seen here.
    I've heard plenty of swearing in certain environments too - sports events and the like.

At least Irish people don't use it as a substitute for being funny. Take a look at many an American or even British stand up comedian and much of the routine will just be them swearing-- oh the hilarity. Americans in particular love to drop the F bomb as they'd put it or use the C word for maximum impact.

Irish comedians in general know that they wouldn't get added impact or shock value using swear words, because most of the people here swear like troopers and wouldn't be affected by it in any way.

...of course, then there's Tommy Tiernan.......:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

What the f##k is wrong with a few fu(€ing swear words. What a load of b01locks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Whatever about Irish, couldn't believe how Aussie women in a particular bar in regional Oz turned the air blue with repeated use of the word 'cnut'..... pronounced 'cant'. I wouldn't mind the odd f word but this was a whole new level of swearing.

Australia - where you call strangers 'mates' and your mates 'cunts'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Get over yourself OP.

I'd say ditto right back if I were the OP. But it's no surprise that the OP just makes a comment about disliking swearing, and the next 82 comments all think a good old "oirish" fk off is in order, extremely original I must say :rolleyes:

It's neither here or there whether swearing is right or wrong, in front of kids and by really young kids, yeah it's a turn off. If people want to do it, fair enough, its their mouth after all. But I dont personally, its not a snobbery thing, I just didnt swear when I was a kid and I didnt pick it up, simple as. And to be honest I think you should respect peoples views on it. I dont for instance like people swearing at me, calling me a "b**ch" or C***t in a jokey term. just dont like it. so I make it clear if it happens once.

But telling the OP to get a life, grow up ect. Give over lads. Its not everyones cup of tea!! Doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Thicker skins I would imagine. We just dont care as much as others might.

Ten pages, mainly containing raised hackles. I'm raising the oul' eyebrows here meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Not at all. You tell me of a word that has the same meaning, impact and felixibility as fcuk.
    krudler wrote: »
    Fuck is the greatest word in the English language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's not very classy, used sparingly it can sometimes aid or drive home a point etc. Used excessively and it makes a person sound very ignorant imo. It's something I notice when I'm getting to know a new person, you can tell a lot about them from how they express themselves. Casual swearing is usually a turnoff for me.

I however am guilty as charged, I use it without thinking when around people I know, just one of those little habits. If I become angry I use as it stress reliever.

Advertisement