Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with work colleague

Options
  • 13-02-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a work colleague who has recently been found out by my one of co-workers that he blatantly lied regarding some IT qualifications that he has.He would of never got the job on my current team without these and in my opinion stopped 1 or 2 other good people from getting it as they would have been overlooked due to this.

There's another role coming up soon with 2 people having the sufficient experience, him being one.Once again, the other guy is at a major disadvantage in regards to these qualifications.I don't want to rat the guy out but is there anyway to approach this situation to make things fairer.

What to do? 13 votes

Rat him out to HR?
    0% 0 votes
    Say nothing?
    53% 7 votes
    Approach him regarding it.
    46% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Ok, so he may have lied, but if he is able to do the job, then who are you do potentially get him the sack. If he is not up to the job, then possibly this will all come out in the wash, as I don't imagine he could be covering that up for long. And what you report is purely hear-say - a co-worker tells you that he lied. What proof do you have that he did lie? What proof has your co-worker?

Perhaps the recruiting team knew his limitations but for some reason overlooked them...maybe he knows one of them, or is the MD's nephew.

As for the new role, you say that he has sufficient experience, but not qualifications. How does ratting him out make it fairer for the other guy? him being out of the running does not guarantee the other chap will still get the job?

I think you need to mind your own business. If this chap is able to do the work he was hired for, then that is all that matters. If on the other hand he is being carried by others, then by all means approach that with HR. If not having the qualifications makes him a danger to others, then tell HR. But if he is able to do the work and there are no issues with that, then butt out.

You didn't hire him, you weren't in the interviews, you do not know what decision making process was followed to pick him...perhaps HR already know he doesn't have the qualifications and you 'ratting him out' will make you the bad guy. Your 'opinion' that two others were overlooked because of him are just supposition and guess work - you cannot know who would have got the job if he were not in the running - for all you know none of them would have been hired and the job re-advertised.

Sounds to me like sour grapes, if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

I agree. Don't say nothing. Most people lie on their cv. In 2009 one in 3 lied and it's only got worse since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I have a work colleague who has recently been found out by my one of co-workers that he blatantly lied regarding some IT qualifications that he has.He would of never got the job on my current team without these and in my opinion stopped 1 or 2 other good people from getting it as they would have been overlooked due to this.

There's another role coming up soon with 2 people having the sufficient experience, him being one.Once again, the other guy is at a major disadvantage in regards to these qualifications.I don't want to rat the guy out but is there anyway to approach this situation to make things fairer.

Rat him out and find you're not 100% correct and watch him own your house...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

What's the point in requiring qualifications if you don't need them to do the job?
    What about the doctor/nurse/pilot etc who makes a good show of doing the job but is found out in an emergency at a high price.
    Exaggerating responsibilities to flesh out a CV is different to fabricating qualifications!

If you were given this scenario in an interview how would you answer it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

When you say qualifications do you mean work experience or actual letters after his name?

If he lied about work experience I wouldn't worry too much. I added "XML" on a recent job application because a job I'm applying to requires it.

Lying about letters after his name (i.e. formal qualifications).. unless you were up against him you shouldn't really stick your nose into it. Perhaps give a heads up to the people he is interviewing against and if they want to make something of it, let them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How did you find out? Can you prove it? Can you organize some way for HR to find out themselves, without knowing that you told them?

TBH, if the quals mattered, then their validity should have been checked by HR during the hiring process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

This forum cracks me up.

You do wonder about the people who start these threads???

Too many nosy bitter folk in Ireland with way too much time on their hands.

Let the man do his job and mind your own business....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Unless you were directly involved in the interview process you should stay out of it.

As a hiring manager I sometimes waive some of the job requirements if a particular candidate is bringing different strengths to the table. For Example, when hiring an EE, a degree +2 years experience was specified in the job specification,but a person that applied had a certificate + 10 years of very relevant experience at a close competitor along with a complimentary skill in project management , that I wanted to add to our team. HR came to me and asked if I would be interested in interviewing him even though she did not have a degree, as a good cover letter had caught their eye. I interviewed and hired her.

To some of the candidates that were not successful,it could have "looked" like the candidate was not fully qualified?

I have not had any complaints from any of the internal candidates or staff though, she is just too good at her job :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

What about the doctor/nurse/pilot etc who makes a good show of doing the job but is found out in an emergency at a high price.

It's hardly the same thing is it? and with jobs as you specify, they don't just take your word for it that you have the qualifications, they check them out. As I said in my earlier post, unless the fact he does not have the qualifications puts peoples lives at risk, then mind your own business.

As Mrs OBumble says - if the qualifications were that important to the job, then HR should have checked them out prior to offering the position.

From the OP, seems to me that this guy is doing his job well enough, the only issue they have is that *possibly* one of their mates *might* have got the job if this guy had not been given it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that guy's a legend!

• Advertisement
Advertisement