Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My grans rescue dog had puppies yesterday

• 13-02-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

My gran rescued her sheepdog from a farmer who was going to put her down and she already had a german shep female who is neutered. She was looking into getting the sheepdog neutered but yesterday she popped out puppies. I myself go over most days but I'm not physically able look after puppies very much (pregnant with high blood pressure and other things) and my gran is in her 80's. All my uncles work so they can only visit and help in mornings and evenings but she has them all day and all night alone and Im the only grandchild out of like 30 odd of us that visits her. I'm worried that its gonna be too much for my gran and there's too many puppies out there already. My gran loves her dogs and she wouldnt give them up plus they wont leave her side there protective of her. How old are the puppies usually before they start walking and venturing around there surrounds? gotta do something to keep them off the lane and from getting hit by cars (few young lads with there fast cars live beside her)

Any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

They'll need to be 8 weeks at least before they can be rehomed. Is their any rescue close by that maybe can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I know they have to be that but I never had female dog so never had puppies and I dont know when they start wandering around the garden. I need to be able to come up with a pen or something before they start walking around and get hurt Im not leaving gran running around after them she fell once before and we gotta prevent it happening again. as for rescues the <snip> is based down the road from me but they cant help until they are old enough to be taken from there mother and gran wont give up her dog so got no option there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

They wont be up and exploring for a few weeks. Not til their eyes are open. You will have to look after them until about 8 to 10 weeks. The <snip> will be happy to take them at that stage.

That gives a bit of time to get an enclosure sorted.. need to get materials first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

It wont take much to keep them enclosed. Good luck with it and dont forget about mammy dog! She sounds like she could do with some TLC herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Make sure all the pups are feeding ok. Also, get the mammy on a good quality puppy food and make sure shes fed at least 4 times a day as she will need extra food while shes feeding the pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

No good deed goes unpunished hey :rolleyes: Maybe contact a local welfare organisation, whilst the pups obviously can't be moved for a few weeks, they may be able to offer some practical help, food, visits, worming etc, and then take the pups in when they are old enough to be rehomed.

You should be fine for the next 3/4 weeks with keeping them contained.

Best of luck with it, and well done to your Gran for taking this dog in.

My gran is a saint.. Will defo look into any help I can get her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Where is she based? Maybe we could give you some info for people in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

pm'd you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

<snip> is based in West Cork - find them on FB - they might be able to help?
    Also, <snip>, or <snip> (think they're galway based).

I'm not affiliated with any of them, and don't know their details, but they're all on my FB feed so it's worth a try to see if they'll at least publicise the situation for you or help with re-homing.

Best of luck with it!

Mod note: Rescue names removed as it's against the forum charter to name or link specific rescues.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

andreac wrote: »
    Where is she based? Maybe we could give you some info for people in the area?

We live in the midlands in Longford we are like 5 mins from the national ISPCA centre thing I'm worried about at min is there were a lot of puppies found in Leitrim and there going to be under pressure with all of them so there resources are tight. There already appealing for people to come forward and help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Have a look on irishanimals.ie, there is a list of all rescues in ireland, you may find a smaller one near to you that could help.

I know I'm going to sound really cynical now, but living in the real world as I do, a lot of rescues will be happy enough to take pups in, as they are easy to rehome, and can generate some much needed income and publicity for the organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Would your grand consider letting a rescue foster the mammy until pups are reared, then she gets mammy back and the rescue rehomes the pups? I've fostered like that a couple of times where people have genuinely gotten a surprise litter

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

My dog recently had puppies. The pups were 7-14 days old before they opened there eyes, and were 14-21 days before they started to wander away from there bed, but were 4 weeks before they really started to wander around.

You will need to start worming them from 2 weeks, and then ever two weeks there after, if you ask your vet they will tell ya which worm dose to use, an oral dose is usually better.

Mine started to eat a little bit from about 3 and a half weeks, there mother didn't realy have much milk, so i bought milk re-placer for them, and miked it with puppy food, and they are all doing very well now.

Advertisement