Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flakes can only be made in Coolock?

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm from Coolock and the rumour went that due to the hardness of the water, Flakes and there numerous variants could only be made in the Cadburys in Coolock!

Now I've a bet in work but I need some proof and not pub talk from 20 years ago!

Any help?

This is the official line (the guy claims he's won the bet based on his email reply):

"Thanks for getting in touch and we hope you enjoy our products. .We make Cadbury Flake at Coolock because that’s where the manufacturing expertise and plant is located."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Sounds like one for Fix it friday on the Ray Darcy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd also be claiming victory on the basis of that email reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jinx9000

they say elsewhere on their site that the manufacturing process is a 'Secret', so therefore there probably not readily going to tell you straight out!

from a business point of view, why would they keep flake production in Ireland and all other bars elsewhere!

any more suggestions, before i get onto Ray (thanks fo the idea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

jinx9000 wrote: »
    they say elsewhere on their site that the manufacturing process is a 'Secret', so therefore there probably not readily going to tell you straight out!

from a business point of view, why would they keep flake production in Ireland and all other bars elsewhere!

any more suggestions, before i get onto Ray (thanks fo the idea)

I worked for cadburys about 7 years ago, at that time anyway Coolock was the only place that Flake was produced. Nothing to do with water hardness though.

Was it just a business decision then/milk quality/distribution/double irish on the profits?

From a business model, nobody whould have different production lines in different countries?

you still got any pull in cadburys you could call upon :)

thanks for the help anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been speaking to my "connection" in Cadbury's, and she says that although the Flake is made in Coolock, as far as she knows the UK also produce some for their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jinx9000 wrote: »
    This is the official line (the guy claims he's won the bet based on his email reply):

"Thanks for getting in touch and we hope you enjoy our products. .We make Cadbury Flake at Coolock because that’s where the manufacturing expertise and plant is located."
    But there is no mention of water hardness at all, which is the main weirdness of the rumour/myth.

I would not doubt bars might be only made in some places. I always figured flakes & wispa & aeros were so expensive (per gram) partly due to the presumably difficult manufacturing process. I would guess flakes have a layering & cooling system, and wispas need special aeration & chilling, while a bog standard dairy milk could be make a child with a moulding kit.

If water hardness was an issue it is easy enough to "harden" soft water.

^ Thanks for all the help. Maybe the question needs to be why do they make all the worlds flakes in Coolock and side step the hard water angle?

Advertisement