Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with bin collection company

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I put my landfill bin out about once a year & last night did so but it wasn't emptied.

The longstanding arrangement I have is I buy tickets from the company to attach to a bag when it's full. The company gave me an old bin which they were discarding and I place a liner in the bin.

I contacted the bin company & they said the ticket system has been replaced by a tag system and there's 'nothing I can do for you'.

I explained the rep - who has since left and started their own company - had sold me the tickets and that they were in breach of contract.

They still refused so I contacted the environment section of the local authority who said this is an issue between me and the contractor but agreed to examine the licensing terms.

The environment section called me back later to say the company would collect the bin this afternoon and would honour the one remaining ticket if it was used within the next three months.They opined that this was 'fair enough' and I 'should meet them in the middle'.

I pointed out - again - the frequency of my filling a landfill bag and that it was somewhat ironic that the environment section was encouraging me to increase my landfill waste..

Can anyone suggest what to do in this case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Yorky wrote: »
    I put my landfill bin out about once a year & last night did so but it wasn't emptied.

The longstanding arrangement I have is I buy tickets from the company to attach to a bag when it's full. The company gave me an old bin which they were discarding and I place a liner in the bin.

I contacted the bin company & they said the ticket system has been replaced by a tag system and there's 'nothing I can do for you'.

I explained the rep - who has since left and started their own company - had sold me the tickets and that they were in breach of contract.

They still refused so I contacted the environment section of the local authority who said this is an issue between me and the contractor but agreed to examine the licensing terms.

The environment section called me back later to say the company would collect the bin this afternoon and would honour the one remaining ticket if it was used within the next three months.They opined that this was 'fair enough' and I 'should meet them in the middle'.

I pointed out - again - the frequency of my filling a landfill bag and that it was somewhat ironic that the environment section was encouraging me to increase my landfill waste..

Can anyone suggest what to do in this case?

Don't see the issue - a perfectly reasonable solution and well done to the proactive environment section. What am I missing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Don't see the issue - a perfectly reasonable solution and well done to the proactive environment section. What am I missing? :confused:

This may help:
    I put my landfill bin out about once a year
    I pointed out - again - the frequency of my filling a landfill bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ah ok, the issue is that you wouldn't in the normal course of things use the ticket within the three months??It is quite unusual that anyone would use the service that infrequently I would have thought.

It sounds to me like the council got the best compromise they could and unless you have something in writing from the bin collection company that they have reneged on, not a lot you can do tbh.

Advertisement