Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NortonAntivirus Ireland & GB

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, Is it OK to use Norton 360 2013 purchased on Amazon here in Ireland. It's far cheaper.
    I hope I'm asking in the right location forum.
    Thanks & God bless

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Hi there

Norton 2013 would be the same regardless of where you buy it, as the updates for the package will be coming from Norton themselves.

However, I would suggest a free antivirus package, rather than a paid one. The paid ones such as Norton dont do anything better than a free one.

I suggest either AVG or Avast if you're interested in a free antivirus package. I have used both for years, with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 d.i.y. man

Thanks for that. What about all the associated "extra's" such as antiphising etc.
    I see ur an LFC man just like me. Som hard to take results while the Devils are making hay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

d.i.y. man wrote: »
    Thanks for that. What about all the associated "extra's" such as antiphising etc.

Scaremongering. You are just as secure with the free ones as long as you run them regularly.

I recommend Avast and run Malwarebytes and ccleaner monthly for a healthy troublefree PC

• Registered Users Posts: 21 d.i.y. man

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Scaremongering. You are just as secure with the free ones as long as you run them regularly.

I recommend Avast and run Malwarebytes and ccleaner monthly for a healthy troublefree PC

Thanks I'll follow up on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

I see ur an LFC man just like me. Som hard to take results while the Devils are making hay.

Tough times for us on the football front but what goes around comes around! (hopefully!) ;)

Yep as the last poster said, the extras included in packages like McAfee are just designed to make you think like you're getting something extra special for your money - which you're not. If you install AVG or Avast, along with Malwarebytes (which targets Spyware), you'll be fully secure on the virus/spyware front. CCleaner removes temporary internet files and clears the browser cache etc, which will also help with computer performance.

No point in paying for something when you can get something just as good for free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I recently did a windows reinstall for a relative....
    She's asked me did she need to reinstall her "Nortons Antivirus"
    I told her shed be better off throwing the disk in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

imo i am certainly not a fan of norton but i am also not a fan of avg/avast etc ... i have come across quiet a few viruses in the last few years that have not been caught by malwarebytes/avg/avast, yet eset nod 32 has caught them. the only time when nod 32 failed, it updated about 6 hours later and caught the damn thing.....can get free months trial here..... i usually bulk buy licenses every year or so and pass them out to friends and family which makes it all a lot cheaper for everyone. for a few bucks a year i know i have a good antivirus/firewall behind me which brings peace of mind.

i don't think my system is ever safe from the world wide web but i feel a small bit safer with nod32....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi, Is it OK to use Norton 360 2013 purchased on Amazon here in Ireland. It's far cheaper.
    I hope I'm asking in the right location forum.
    Thanks & God bless

why pay for norton when avast is free and just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have a look at:
    AV-Comparatives
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

and
    AV-Test
    http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/

Compare the ratings yourself and decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I believe, the OP has already decided... started another thread this morning, wondering how to disable a document scan, each time Word opens (a "specialty" of NAV). ;)

And why is it, anytime someone asks a product-specific question, people come along telling them to use something else (this seems to be particularly popular with AV software and web browsers)? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Torqay wrote: »

And why is it, anytime someone asks a product-specific question, people come along telling them to use something else (this seems to be particularly popular with AV software and web browsers)? :D
    OP got an answer and an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Well, we all like free, but sometimes there is a price to pay, especially for "free" AV software: browser hijacking (AVG, Avast!), advertising popups (Avira), nasty stuff that would makes any other type of program ad- or even malware and yet the makers of "free" antivirus software get away with it. MSE doesn't even qualify as antivirus software.

Some people just don't want that and rather pay for the software, even if it is only for the benefit of technical support. As they say, "A software worth using, is worth paying for." What's wrong with that?

Now, I'm no "fan" of Norton, McAfee et al, but I do respect other people's choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I would imagine this happens because this is a public forum with open discussion where the conversation is dynamic and not a company customer care forum where the conversation can be more formulaic.

I find that a lot of the extras in AVs simply slow down the machine and don't actually deliver much extra protection. Even in Avast I do a custom install and only install the File Shield and Web Shield. I don't want the extra browser toolbars and the like.
    Well, we all like free, but sometimes there is a price to pay, especially for "free" AV software: browser hijacking (AVG, Avast!), advertising popups (Avira), nasty stuff that would makes any other type of program ad- or even malware and yet the makers of "free" antivirus software get away with it. MSE doesn't even qualify as antivirus software.

Some people just don't want that and rather pay for the software, even if it is only for the benefit of technical support. As they say, "A software worth using, is worth paying for." What's wrong with that?

Now, I'm no "fan" of Norton, McAfee et al, but I do respect other people's choice.

I also try to respect people's choices where possible. Heck, I used IE for years just because I was sick of being told what to do by people who thought they were better than me. I still stay away from Linux for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Karsini wrote: »
    I also try to respect people's choices where possible. Heck, I used IE for years just because I was sick of being told what to do by people who thought they were better than me. I still stay away from Linux for the same reason.
    You should check out Mint...

Advertisement