Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole and rental income

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Do you still get the dole if you are getting an income from renting out properties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression that if the total income, including rental income (rent less expenses) is less than the amount of the benefit, you might be entitled to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you can earn about 130 per week on top of your dole,i dont know
    if theres a special rule rental income.IF you are not living in the rental property ,i think they look at its value,as to calculating your income,
    and deciding what dole payment you may be entitled to.eg you might get 70 per cent of the normal payment for example.
    Obviously they also look at how much rent you are paid per week.
    I know a single mother,she works 2 days per week,she declares her job to welfare,
    her payment is not effected as she earns 130 per week approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Job Seekers Benefit is not means tested.

For Job Seekers Allowance, the rental income is not counted as means, but the capital value is, the capital value is calculated as the Market value - mortgage.

So if your house is in negative equity, no means are included.

If you have small equity <20k, it is disregarded.

After that a formula is applied.

Advertisement