Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hubert Dawson

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi. Hubert Dawson was born Altamont St., Westport, c. 1893. In 1901 he is living with his widowed mother and siblings at that address. He is missing in 1911.
    Hubert was the first man to down arms in the Connaught Rangers mutiny in India in 1920. The authorities put him in hospital in an unsuccessful attempt to quell the protest. Hundreds of Rangers mutinied, two were shot dead in scuffles. A total of 61 men were sentenced, 14 to death. Only one. James Daly was executed. The others were released in 1922-23, and most returned to Ireland.
    An acquaintance of Hubert's reported his death in Altamont St. in 1963.
    Any information on Hubert would be welcome, when did he come back to Ireland, what did he do here, etc. For some reason, it appears he was not sentenced, and retained his medals, contrary to the newspaper report on his death.
    Many thanks, Patrick Flanagan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'll see if I can get some information from a cousin of mine living up the country. His dad's (my uncle) uncle was James Daly. He might have some information but I'd say it's doubtful considering my uncle passed away a few years back and most of his siblings have passed away also.

Alternatively and with a better chance of gaining some info you can try here: http://www.museumsofmayo.com/clewbay.htm

Hopefully some Westport resident's will be able to be of more assistance to you. Good luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

Thanks Happy, I'll try Westport Historical Society

Advertisement