Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants that will grow up a shed wall

• 13-02-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I built a concrete shed last year I would like to put some plants that will grow up the front of the shed like a tight bush with berries taking that rough look away can anyone reccomend a bush like plant / tree not Ivy but something with a bit of colour the Sun shines on the front of the shed all day that is when the Sun decides to appear again:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So, looking for a leaner... with berries.

How about pyracantha. Very bright coloured berries. Often grown up against walls.

Here's a pic
    http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=431

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

both red and orange berries available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    I built a concrete shed last year I would like to put some plants that will grow up the front of the shed like a tight bush with berries taking that rough look away can anyone reccomend a bush like plant / tree not Ivy but something with a bit of colour the Sun shines on the front of the shed all day that is when the Sun decides to appear again:D
    Cotoneaster microphyllus or cotoneaster horizontalis, youll know them when you see them. Good points are bees love them, lots of berries on bare stems, easy to manage and it has no nasty thorns. Bad points, cant think of any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Be aware that Pyrocantha has thorns. Huge great nasty thorns that really hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cinquecento

Try a honeysuckle - Hall's Prolific is bright yellow and sometimes keeps its leaves through the winter. Harlequin has red and yellow flowers with a darker leaf. For both, you'll need to put in vine eyes and wire to support the growth.

Clematis Armandii is useful - evergreen, early flowering, though, again, it needs support to start.

We planted Rosa Felipe Kiftsgate to cover a brick shed - it went up one side, over the roof, down the other side and across into the neighbour's garden - so, relatively successful but needed to be pruned a lot.

Depending on the size of your shed, you could plant a few things so you have a long season of flowering. Maybe mix in a climber that's better known for the colour of the leaves in autumn - something like Russian Vine, but you really need to manage that to make sure it doesn't go wild (it's common name is 'Mile a Minute').

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

As an alternative you could build a simple Green Wall and grow flowers or even vegetables, herbs etc .
    It can be as formal or rustic as you like and can be done very cheaply with pallets. If you google green walls or vertical gardening you should get a lot of ideas. Heres some link to some easy to build Green Walls.

http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/home_and_garden/diy_project_make_your_own_pallet_wall_planter.php

http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/creating-a-pallet-garden-step-by-step-instructions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

NO NO NO don't plant Russian Vine, you will just waste a couple of years before you have to dig it out and dispose of the vast quantity of growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Thank you everyone for the tips I am a bit worried about a plant with big thorns as I have two lovely Grandchildren Twin Girls age 5 and I don't want them in any way hurt the shed is 20ft x 10 ft its long enough I have 3 sides to cover so I will hit the garden centre and with the good advice I have received I will pick something but I do love red and purple colours I will add a photo of before and another later in the year and see how the growth looks and again Thank you all.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Check out a climbing hydranga

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Clematis Armandii is a beautifull evergreen climber and has lovely flowers and a lovely scent too.

Once it gets established/started,it takes off quick and will make for beautifull wall coverage.
    We have it growing in various locations around the front and back gardens.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 dah89

I'd cover the wall with an espalier or fan fruit tree, and in a couple of years enjoy the pleasure of walking out and picking one off the tastiest apples/pears/plums or even a peach (lot of work though), you're ever going to taste. You also will have the blossom in spring. Here's a few examples http://blog.glamourdrops.com/2011/06...ats-natty.html

Thank you everyone for the tips I am a bit worried about a plant with big thorns as I have two lovely Grandchildren Twin Girls age 5 and I don't want them in any way hurt the shed is 20ft x 10 ft its long enough I have 3 sides to cover so I will hit the garden centre and with the good advice I have received I will pick something but I do love red and purple colours I will add a photo of before and another later in the year and see how the growth looks and again Thank you all.;)

Yup, the pyracantha is thorny... but my mum grew it up our shed to deter us from climbing up it. :)

I'm actually not a big fan of berries around children either. My own child is a monkey for picking random berries and stuffing them into her mouth. Check that whatever you chose to grow isn't poisonous.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Clematis Armandii is a beautifull evergreen climber and has lovely flowers and a lovely scent too.

Once it gets established/started,it takes off quick and will make for beautifull wall coverage.
    We have it growing in various locations around the front and back gardens.:)

Did you put up the wrong photos there by mistake? It's one stem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Virginia creeper. Green in summer, red in autumn and but loses its leaves in winter.

img_0154.JPG

viriginiacreeper2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

All posters ,read opening request.......
    Dont think poster asked for recommendations for climbers that will run riot on his shed. Some suggestions here are not suitable.

rje66 wrote: »
    Dont think poster asked for recommendations for climbers that will run riot on his shed. Some suggestions here are not suitable.

No surprise there.... it's the gardening forum. aka, no moderation to speak of.

pwurple wrote: »
    Did you put up the wrong photos there by mistake? It's one stem.

I dont know why you have adopted this humor on quite a few threads as of lately??

You need to calm down,relax and not be so on edge and going completely off topic for no reason what so ever.

Why not try to be friendly with everyone and not be adopting this attitude.

Gardening is for everyone afterall.

No surprise there.... it's the gardening forum. aka, no moderation to speak of.

No need for that.

paddy147 wrote: »
    I dont know why you have adopted this humor on quite a few threads as of lately??.

Sorry paddy147, but I find one teeny tiny stem on a trellis to be a fairly chuckle-worthy example of 'beautiful wall coverage'. Thought i would give you the benefit of the doubt though. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry paddy147, but I find one teeny tiny stem on a trellis to be a fairly chuckle-worthy example of 'beautiful wall coverage'. Thought i would give you the benefit of the doubt though. :)

Eh I actually posted that it will make for lovely wall coverage.
    Try reading what was actually posted for a change before you try to be and act so smart..

And of course you know when I planted it and accidently snapped it in half.

And you also know when that picture was taken too.

Do you???

Of course you dont....:pac::pac:

To the OP......

Chaenomeles Rubra is also something to look at planting and training up the wall/walls.:)

Took this pic today while out on a romantic stroll with the girlfriend in Malahide Castle.:D

rje66 wrote: »

Virginia creeper is fine, just give it a trim once a year like everyone else instead of expecting things to stay static. It will make a lovely cover for ugly concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

OP, there is a pump house nearby where I live that has red robin planted around it and it looks great. It is like a laurel with red leaves that shine in the sun. Have a look at one in a garden centre if you can, you will need a few plants though. Aldi get in spring shrubs every year which include red robin and if budget is a consideration, these are great value and good quality as I have planted a few myself. You can however get more established plants in a garden centre.

Tisserand wrote: »
    OP, there is a pump house nearby where I live that has red robin planted around it and it looks great. It is like a laurel with red leaves that shine in the sun. Have a look at one in a garden centre if you can, you will need a few plants though. Aldi get in spring shrubs every year which include red robin and if budget is a consideration, these are great value and good quality as I have planted a few myself. You can however get more established plants in a garden centre.

Thank you all very much I am looking out the garden daily and the ground is drying up lovely can wait to start and thank Tisserand I have it planed this weekend start turning soil it will be nice to see some colour againest the shed as I said I will post some photos before and after,;):)

I asked a while back for ideas to cover a shed I built, I said I would put some photos up so here is the start of the shed. I have done some planting on the advice I received on here and will put these up as well thanks to everyone concerned with the help I am only now like you all awaiting the Sun to shine on my garden.

Thanks all.;)

I asked a while back for ideas to cover a shed I built, I said I would put some photos up so here is the start of the shed. I have done some planting on the advice I received on here and will put these up as well thanks to everyone concerned with the help I am only now like you all awaiting the Sun to shine on my garden.

Thanks all.;)

Shed? Looks more like an outbuilding. Virginia creeper or Crimson glory vine would have been perfect for it.

Shed? Looks more like an outbuilding. Virginia creeper or Crimson glory vine would have been perfect for it.

Well where I live in the Country this is a shed,maybe in England a shed is a small timber building at the end of the Garden, Thanks for the advice on the plants but as in the opening post I dont need something that will take over the garden or in my case the shed.

Wow, that is a big shed! My husband would love it.

Can't quite see what you planted from the photos. Is one of them a clematis? If so, those are not self clingers... You need to put up something for it to wrap itself around. Like a trellis. Also , clematis prefer some shade to full sun, so it may not look its best. Should survive though.

What else is there?

• Advertisement

Who owns the garden boundary wall that the shed is built of off?

Any issues with neighbours over it?

The only problem I can see with that shed is damp and it soaking through into the inside because of non rendered blockwork.Was there a DPC installed aswell,to stop damp rising?

I like the high level side window,nice touch.:)

Is there a window at the other end to allow some light to that end of the shed?

Did you run power to the shed for lighting/sockets?

I like the double doors too...chunky.:)

Advertisement