Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants that will grow up a shed wall

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

pwurple wrote: »
    Wow, that is a big shed! My husband would love it.

Can't quite see what you planted from the photos. Is one of them a clematis? If so, those are not self clingers... You need to put up something for it to wrap itself around. Like a trellis. Also , clematis prefer some shade to full sun, so it may not look its best. Should survive though.

What else is there?

Yeah Clematis I only planted them, I have to fix a trellis on both sides of the door this weekend, there is so much to do I get one thing done and the weather breaks again got the plant advice from this thread great help off everyone a gardener I am not, so will you bear with me and I will check what else I have growing the Sun shines behind the shed early morning at about noon its to the wall at the right and for the rest of the day it shines to the front right on top of the door I hope the plants will surive.

Cheers.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    Who owns the garden boundary wall that the shed is built of off?

Any issues with neighbours over it?

The only problem I can see with that shed is damp and it soaking through into the inside because of non rendered blockwork.Was there a DPC installed aswell,to stop damp rising?

I like the high level side window,nice touch.:)

Is there a window at the other end to allow some light to that end of the shed?

Did you run power to the shed for lighting/sockets?

I like the double doors too...chunky.:)

Hi Paddy147
    The boundry wall is next doors and I got permission to build against it from my Neighbour

There was DPC put under all the blocks when it was built. someone did say to render it but I heard I can get a clear liquid to paint on the walls to stop the damp entering.

There is no window at the far end. but the light is ok.

The power is on the way have armour plated cable been run to it in the next few weeks by a mate in work and don't panic he is the Electrican.

Gates I bought from a chap in Cavan and had my mate cut them to size and make the hinges and hang them it the shed is starting to take over my life I started it this time last year and what a time to it has been terrible weather never again the lawn needs re seeding I am losing the plot now Ha.:);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Hi Paddy147
    The boundry wall is next doors and I got permission to build against it from my Neighbour

There was DPC put under all the blocks when it was built. someone did say to render it but I heard I can get a clear liquid to paint on the walls to stop the damp entering.

There is no window at the far end. but the light is ok.

The power is on the way have armour plated cable been run to it in the next few weeks by a mate in work and don't panic he is the Electrican.

Gates I bought from a chap in Cavan and had my mate cut them to size and make the hinges and hang them it the shed is starting to take over my life I started it this time last year and what a time to it has been terrible weather never again the lawn needs re seeding I am losing the plot now Ha.:);)

Sounds and looks nice.:)

May I suggest that you use 3 core 10 square SWA for the power to the shed,and get some double sockets installed on the wall in 20mm steel conduit and at 1.2 meters in height.

This means you can install the likes of work benches and potting benches and the sockets will be just above normal working bench height.
    Use 2.5 nymj from an IP rated fuse board to the socket locations.1.5 nymj for the lighting.

Thats what I did with the sockets in my own shed.

Again looks like a nice job you did there.:)

pwurple wrote: »
    Wow, that is a big shed! My husband would love it.

Can't quite see what you planted from the photos. Is one of them a clematis? If so, those are not self clingers... You need to put up something for it to wrap itself around. Like a trellis. Also , clematis prefer some shade to full sun, so it may not look its best. Should survive though.

What else is there?

As promised this is what is planted.

Lonicera Japonica Halls.
    Clematic Polish Spirit which you spotted well done.
    Pyracantha
    Loricera Periclymenium Belgica.

Now all that means nothing to me as I said I am not a gardener but I do like colour and Purple is one,with the trellis added I am hoping the rough look on the shed will improve, my new problem is to grass the soil or let it grow wild to get Butterflies and insects in I dont know, anymore tips I will be delighted.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As promised this is what is planted.

Lonicera Japonica Halls.
    Clematic Polish Spirit which you spotted well done.
    Pyracantha
    Loricera Periclymenium Belgica.

Now all that means nothing to me as I said I am not a gardener but I do like colour and Purple is one,with the trellis added I am hoping the rough look on the shed will improve, my new problem is to grass the soil or let it grow wild to get Butterflies and insects in I dont know, anymore tips I will be delighted.:)

The lonicera's are honeysuckle. One evergreen and one which drops the leaves in winter. They would be what I call scramblers rather than climbers. They don't cling, their natural habitat is to twine one or two strong stems up the trunk of a tree and then dangle down from the higher branches. This will need a trellis, but you may find it heading for the roof and making a big clump on top there, rather than covering your wall.

Pyracantha will bush up, and you can clip into almost a hedge. Again, not self clinging.

The clematis, my grandmother's words of wisdom on those was that they 'don't like wet feet'. But it looks fine there, no swampy conditions. It will behave similarly to the honeysuckles. Run up and then clump.

The non-rendered wall itself.... To be honest with you, you don't have plants there that are ever going to completely cover that wall and make it invisible. A clinger like ivy, or virginea creeper might have, and the pyracantha will do about the best job of the lot. Having a deciduous one means you will be looking at the wall through those bare stems for some of the year at least.

• Advertisement

Hope you dont have any young kids who like to play and run around in the back garden..........with regards to Pyracantha.

It is a very very thorny climber/bush that has big thorns on it,as it grows.

Just be aware of that.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Hope you dont have any young kids who like to play and run around in the back garden..........with regards to Pyracantha.

It is a very very thorny climber/bush that has big thorns on it,as it grows.

Just be aware of that.

I have two 5 year old Grandchildren girls I asked in the garden centre for plant that would climb and no thorns, should I dig them out, I would like to get it right at the start.:eek:

I have two 5 year old Grandchildren girls I asked in the garden centre for plant that would climb and no thorns, should I dig them out, I would like to get it right at the start.:eek:

Well thats a decision only you can make,with regards to kids and their playfullness and safety in the garden.You know your own grandkids,so what ever you think is what matters.:)
    Me personally,I wouldnt,but thats just me.

Garden centre obviously didnt listen to you,with regards to no thorns.

Another member also posted about them having nasty thorns...(page 1).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83200319&postcount=5

Your right there I remember that now, because I did not want throns don't know why I did not write down the names before I went to the Garden Centre,I think we were just out and you know what happens then, "O look a Garden Centre let's have a look". "the rest as they say"
    Thanks anyway for all the help I have read some of your comments on other threads and lots of good advice,

Cheers.:)

Advertisement