Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity league 2013

• 13-02-2013 3:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

With the start of it just around a month away, should the FAI being doing a lot more to promote it? Also is division 1 getting enough coverage on TV/papers? The lower leagues in England get a lot more TV coverage whether its just to show the goals or a short highlights of games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Can't wait, UCD at home first up in the league. Either side of that we have a home game against UCD in the Leinster Senior Cup and then in the League Cup we got a home draw against UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The more hidden and secret the First Division the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The premier division doesn't get near enough coverage in papers. You have to skip through six or seven pages of English rubbish to get to a small round up of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The FAI probably should be doing more to promote it but they don't. Their dedicated website for the Airtricity League is an absolute mess.

When Monaghan went out of the league last season, a black scribble was drawn over their crest. Really really amateur stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The more hidden and secret the First Division the better.

It is called the graveyard for a reason.

lala88 wrote:
    should the FAI being doing a lot more to promote it?

This question gets asked every year. The answer is yes, but things won't change.
    AgileMyth wrote:
    The premier division doesn't get near enough coverage in papers. You have to skip through six or seven pages of English rubbish to get to a small round up of the games.

The "English Rubbish" is what sells papers. Our own rubbish doesn't. And to be fair a few of the tabloids do give the LOI decent coverage on Fridays and Mondays.

This season will be more of the same anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Whats everyones prediction?
    Personally would love to see Drogheda win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

1. Sligo
    2. Pats
    3. Rovers
    4. Drogheda
    5. Cork
    6. Shels
    7. Limerick
    8. Derry
    9. Dundalk
    10. Bohs
    11. Bray
    12. UCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

iDave wrote: »
    Whats everyones prediction?
    Personally would love to see Drogheda win it.

Can't see past Sligo retaining myself. St. Pats will be tricky customers and Shams are going through changes. Big emphasis on Quigley as their new talisman now that Twigg has left. He's a good player but not sure if he has the consistency to lead the line. Time will tell.

As for Bohs. a few key players have departed and strength in depth is not something we have so it'll be a tough ask for a lot of the younger players with very few experienced heads. Mid table obscurity is fine with me.

Drogheda had a really good season last year and there'll be a bit of pressure on them to emulate that form. I think they'll finish top 4 but it'll be a race between themselves and Cork who look to have a decent squad methinks.

Dundalk and Limerick are two teams I'll be keeping a close eye on. On paper, Dundalk have a better team than last season. Kenny had an atrocious season with Shams last time out but I think this is the level that he can really thrive under with no real great expecations.

Limerick are a bit of an unknown quantity to most I'd imagine so can't really comment on them.

Relegation wise I think UCD will go. They play (arguably) some of the best football in the league but they're very young and don't have the greatest back ups in their ranks. Bray and possibly Bohs could be involved. Small squads and inevitable injuries does not bode well unfortunately.

Looking forward to getting back to Dalymount anyway for the new season. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'd be surprised if Sligo can retain the championship after losing McGuinness & Quigley to their nearest rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I hope, Shels won't be beaten and battered every time out :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm going back to Tolka...and to put the icing on the cake, I'm looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I can see Shamrock Rovers winning it quite comprehensively tbh.

I think we'll finish third last ahead of Bray and UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Lucan Bohs wrote: »

Seriously? I can't see a bottom three that doesn't include Shels :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

born2bwild wrote: »
    Seriously? I can't see a bottom three that doesn't include Shels :(
    In my opinion the bottom 4 will consist of Shels, Bray, UCD and Bohs or Limerick. I think however that the bottom 2 will almost certainly be Bray and UCD with the latter most likely to go straight down.

I also think its between Sligo, Shams and Pats for the league itself. Personally think we can do it this year as long as Fagan doesnt get badly injured. Sligo without McGuiness and Quigley might not be as strong and Shams without Twigg and with a new manager dont seem as settled as other teams. However would worry for our chances if Fagan and Forrester get injured/leave or whatever. Our goal threat would be weakened without the two of them.

Anyway my 1-12 prediction for the league is

1- Saints
    2- Sligo
    3- Shams
    4- Cork
    5- Derry
    6- Drogs
    7- Dundalk
    8- Bohs/Limerick
    9- Bohs/Limerick
    10-Shels
    11-Bray
    12- UCD

For the 1st Division.

1- Longford
    2- Harps
    3- Waterford
    4- Athlone
    5- Cobh
    6- Wexford
    7- Mervue
    8- Salthill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

For the first time in a number of seasons there are a lot of clubs who could win it. Rovers should, but we said that last year. Sligo should but its difficult to do it twice in a row. Pats should be there or there about. Drogs are still operating on a small budget but that made no difference last year. Cork are this season's dark horses for me.

Anyway I backed the Drogs ew at 20/1, ridiculously generous odds. 4/1 for a top three finish, with a better squad and a second place finish last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

- bo - wrote: »
    1. Sligo
    2. Pats
    3. Rovers
    4. Drogheda
    5. Cork
    6. Shels
    7. Limerick
    8. Derry
    9. Dundalk
    10. Bohs
    11. Bray
    12. UCD

I'll take 6th place right now thank you very much.

gimmick wrote: »
    The "English Rubbish" is what sells papers. Our own rubbish doesn't. And to be fair a few of the tabloids do give the LOI decent coverage on Fridays and Mondays.
    I'm aware of that. My problem is mosty with the Irish public but nothing will change while we're constantly bombarded with overseas football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lads for the craic this season dont get annoyed by the fact your team is dying because someone who doesnt go to their teams games wont go to yours. it will only annoy you :D

Instead pick someone you know who doesnt go and make it your goal to get him/her to 5 games.

I'd be surprised if Sligo can retain the championship after losing McGuinness & Quigley to their nearest rivals.
    Mcguiness has been well replaced. Not that it really matters. When you have Peers at the back you don't need other defenders :D

Quigley is a different story. We didn't need him 'til North was ruled out but he was brilliant for a few games after that. Hopefully Elding comes in and scores a few before North is ready again.

We have P Milly so we will win. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Lucan Bohs wrote: »

I would concur about Shamrock Rovers I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I really dont know where Cork will come this season, but I fear it might not be as good a season as some might think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Lads for the craic this season dont get annoyed by the fact your team is dying because someone who doesnt go to their teams games wont go to yours. it will only annoy you :D

Instead pick someone you know who doesnt go and make it your goal to get him/her to 5 games.

The past 3 seasons I've got 5 mates interested in Bohs and 3 are now regulars so it 's well worth getting your mates to tag along!

I have brought along 3 lads to see both Shelbounre and Bohs and now they go to few games a season.

So if any one of you Bohs or Shels fans make another smart ass comment about Cork I'll tell them to stop.;):pac:

So can we agree on a non offensive approach to the retards **** ****ing ***** who switch on the simpsons after a defeat rather than endure a 3 hour trip home from Derry boards.ie soccer patrons.

just saying like (cork lads say this) you wont get them to your games if they dont go to theirs but you might get your mate :p

just an idea......

Got the new brother in law saying he wants to go to a few games this year. I've also recently acquired a niece and nephew so there's potential there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dan1895 wrote: »
    I've also recently acquired a niece and nephew so there's potential there too.

Our attendances are dire but abducting kids is a bit extreme!

Why would the FAI promote the League, they make a profit for it either way! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So can we agree on a non offensive approach to the retards **** ****ing ***** who switch on the simpsons after a defeat rather than endure a 3 hour trip home from Derry boards.ie soccer patrons.

just saying like (cork lads say this) you wont get them to your games if they dont go to theirs but you might get your mate :p

just an idea......

Your posts are some of the most Xenophobic on this forum. I don't take your belated instructions seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Part of the problem, I find, is the prices. I try to catch a game or two when I'm back (as in now, but unfortunautely nothign is on!) but for the same price I can go and watch Hertha Berlin in the Olympiastadion. Even when they were in the top division against certain clubs.

Anyone know if there are any pre-season friednlies on?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Part of the problem, I find, is the prices. I try to catch a game or two when I'm back (as in now, but unfortunautely nothign is on!) but for the same price I can go and watch Hertha Berlin in the Olympiastadion. Even when they were in the top division against certain clubs.

Anyone know if there are any pre-season friednlies on?
    Friendlies?
    http://extratime.ie/fixtures/future/107/

Too expensive? 15 quid???

Who needs the Olympic Stadium when you've got Fahy's Field?

I really don't know where Cork will come this season, but I fear it might not be as good a season as some might think.

5th I will be happy with. I do not think our squad is that much better than last season. If we start better than last season, which should not be too hard given how awful we did last season, we will be fine.

Limerick have moved our game with them to 7.45 Saturday evening. Mess. I think that is their time for the season as long as there are no clashes with Munster in Thomond.

• Advertisement

5th I will be happy with. I do not think our squad is that much better than last season. If we start better than last season, which should not be too hard given how awful we did last season, we will be fine.

Limerick have moved our game with them to 7.45 Saturday evening. Mess. I think that is their time for the season as long as there are no clashes with Munster in Thomond.

I heard talk of that being moved to Sunday afternoon so 7:45 saturday aint too bad, ya can't beat a Friday night though.

Much rather Saturday then a Sunday evening anyway.

Cant wait for this game personally.

Might head out in Limerick after it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a few of us from Kilkenny heading across.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I heard talk of that being moved to Sunday afternoon so 7:45 saturday aint too bad, ya can't beat a Friday night though.

Ya, there was talk of it being Sunday at 5.15 for TV but I think thats definitely not the case now.

Ya, there was talk of it being Sunday at 5.15 for TV but I think thats definitely not the case now.

Will it be on TV on the Saturday? Wouldn't mind seeing the game but not at the expense of attendances.

Dunno tbh. I dount too many would be interested in showing it at that time on a Saturday. Certainly not RTE anyway as it is a 6 nations day with Premier Soccer Saturday on after. Setanta maybe, but don't they show live Serie A on Saturday evenings?

• Advertisement

Boylesports odds 2013

Shamrock Rovers 11/8
    Sligo Rovers 23/10
    St Patrick's Athletic 9/2
    Derry City 12/1
    Limerick 16/1
    Drogheda Utd 22/1
    Cork City 25/1
    Shelbourne 40/1
    Bohemians 50/1
    Dundalk 50/1
    UCD 125/1
    Bray Wanderers 200/1

Limerick 16/1 ? Really poor odds imo!!

Drogheda a nice outside bet?

Drogheda a nice outside bet?

If they continue where they left off last season they are the only team imo that have a chance of topping either of the Rovers alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Boylesports odds 2013

Shamrock Rovers 11/8
    Sligo Rovers 23/10
    St Patrick's Athletic 9/2
    Derry City 12/1
    Limerick 16/1
    Drogheda Utd 22/1
    Cork City 25/1
    Shelbourne 40/1
    Bohemians 50/1
    Dundalk 50/1
    UCD 125/1
    Bray Wanderers 200/1

Derry at 12/1 is very generous IMO, think they'll be the dark horses this year

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

uch wrote: »
    Derry at 12/1 is very generous IMO, think they'll be the dark horses this year

Am I missing something, can someone fill me in as to why limerick are 16/1

Am I missing something, can someone fill me in as to why limerick are 16/1

Bookies in fear that Limerick might actually buy Messi once JP gets the cheque book out.

Cork City lineup will be looking like this.

McNulty

Dunleavy
    Murray
    Dennehy
    Murphy

Duggan
    Healy

Morrissey

--Turner
    D. Horgan

D. Kavanagh

Speaking to a couple of players the other night they are quietly confident heading into the upcoming season.

Lot of people saying 5th is about our lot. Bookies have us at 25's.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that if we can avoid injuries we will be in the mix going into the last series.

If they continue where they left off last season they are the only team imo that have a chance of topping either of the Rovers alright.

they wont, they brought in Robbie Horgan as coach and are switching to 433 attacking football,expect them to be better than last season :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Robbie has been with Drogheda since Mick Cooke took over.

markc1184 wrote: »

Hes listening to him now.

he was excellent with us and Sporting

markc1184 wrote: »

That's what I thought:pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

If Pre season and the Portadown game is anything to go by I think Drogs will be playing some lovely football this season. If that is down to Robbie then long may it continue.

Tempted to throw a few quid on Drogs now and I'm not a betting man. At least it may keep things interesting at both ends of the table for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

This point was brought up at Shels a couple of years back. Reducing tickets by say 20% will not yield a 20% increase in attendances to cover the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement