Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one thing you miss

Options
  • 13-02-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi

Strange question here.

I'm over in Calgary shortly and will be meeting a few Irish ex-pats and wanted to bring something from Ireland to give them.

Its a token gift that I am thinking of, something that will hopefully raise a smile. Tayto chrisps are not very practical for packing.

What would you ask for? or appreciate? I'll have to bring/pack about 15 of what ever it is that I bring.

Chocolate bars has been suggested to me, large Cadbury fruit and nut bars?

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Chocolate is much much much nicer from home, maybe some creme eggs? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

whatnext wrote: »
    Hi

Strange question here.

I'm over in Calgary shortly and will be meeting a few Irish ex-pats and wanted to bring something from Ireland to give them.

Its a token gift that I am thinking of, something that will hopefully raise a smile. Tayto chrisps are not very practical for packing.

What would you ask for? or appreciate? I'll have to bring/pack about 15 of what ever it is that I bring.

Chocolate bars has been suggested to me, large Cadbury fruit and nut bars?

Any thoughts welcome.

In no order

Jaffa Cakes,
    Tayto
    ANY Cadburys chocolate
    Lucozade (really hard to get here as contains a banned colouring)
    Millions http://www.alloccasionsweetshop.co.uk/strawberry-millions-tubes.html
    Tea Bags - these are good lighweight option
    Mcoys crisps
    King crisps
    Monster munch
    Bisto

No meat though unless you want to attract the sniffer dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

To any smokers there, I'd say they'll be missing a box John Player Blue cigarettes. Not sure if you can get those in Canada but if not I think it would put a smile on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

there is no silk cut purples for me either i just hope there's coke zero them two are mainly my diet on construction sites:o

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    there is no silk cut purples for me either i just hope there's coke zero them two are mainly my diet on construction sites:o

There is coke zero lol, and "soda/pop" is very cheap here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

is my purples a no?:(:(

THanks god for the zero:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I'm in the USA, but the thing I miss most are plain tea biscuits, and Whispa.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Cheese and onion crisps

They'are the main flavour for gods sake! I've had boxes of hunky dories sent over!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Tonto86 wrote: »
    I've had boxes of hunky dories sent over!

Beast! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

at xmas the mother sent over a box containing:

10 Tayto cheese and onion
    10 Buffalo Hunky Dorys
    5 Rancheros
    5 Walkers Baked cheese and onion
    5 Chipsticks
    A box of celebrations
    A box of galaxy minstrels
    3 boxes of those belgian chocolates you get in Aldi/Lidl for 1.99 ($15 for the same over here!!!!)
    2 bags of those sugarland sweets from Aldi (You cannot get chewits/chewy fruit flavoured sweets here)
    10 flakes
    10 twirls
    10 bags of maltesers
    A packet of after eights
    A box of lyons teabags
    16 pack of penguin bars to go with the tea.

N.B. my oul doll works in a post office back home - It costs the same to send a 6kg box as it does a 19.99kg box to Canada, so fill it up when you get stuff sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Dont forget the waffles:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I was just informed by my friendly little chemist owner who sell British goods that Tayto is coming to Toronto within the next month:D:D

pretty sure these guys sell tayto in east toronto...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reckoner

Anybody in Vancouver, there's a British shop down at Dunbar 41st that sells a load of Irish/British stuff, Barrys tea, Lucozade, biscuits. Obviously paying a bit more but it's worth a go, especially if you've been away a bit and missed certain things

• Registered Users Posts: 48 HandsomePete

Walmart has a British section in their supermarket. Yorkies, Curly Whirlies, fruit pastilles etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Buckfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

Walmart has a British section in their supermarket. Yorkies, Curly Whirlies, fruit pastilles etc.

Is this toronto?? please tell me yes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

retalivity wrote: »
    at xmas the mother sent over a box containing:

10 Tayto cheese and onion
    10 Buffalo Hunky Dorys
    5 Rancheros
    5 Walkers Baked cheese and onion
    5 Chipsticks
    A box of celebrations
    A box of galaxy minstrels
    3 boxes of those belgian chocolates you get in Aldi/Lidl for 1.99 ($15 for the same over here!!!!)
    2 bags of those sugarland sweets from Aldi (You cannot get chewits/chewy fruit flavoured sweets here)
    10 flakes
    10 twirls
    10 bags of maltesers
    A packet of after eights
    A box of lyons teabags
    16 pack of penguin bars to go with the tea.

N.B. my oul doll works in a post office back home - It costs the same to send a 6kg box as it does a 19.99kg box to Canada, so fill it up when you get stuff sent!

retalivity, the new spokesman for Weight Watchers :)

reckoner wrote: »
    Anybody in Vancouver, there's a British shop down at Dunbar 41st that sells a load of Irish/British stuff, Barrys tea, Lucozade, biscuits. Obviously paying a bit more but it's worth a go, especially if you've been away a bit and missed certain things

Two on North Shore as well. The British Butcher Shoppe, Queensbury Ave, North Vancouver and the shop in Park Royal south

ciaran67 wrote: »
    retalivity, the new spokesman for Weight Watchers :)

Ive still got stuff left over, and the gf helped me eat a lot of it....the hunky dorys are expiring in march though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

anyone have any clue where i could hunt down a bitta lucozade in calgary? an essential hangover supply

anyone have any clue where i could hunt down a bitta lucozade in calgary? an essential hangover supply

Try a Caesar.

Or... had a dozen Puget Sound oysters last weekend in Seattle, early on before quite the session. Both woke up clean as a whistle. Used to have them in Davy Byrnes back in Duke St - always works.

What a top laff in Seattle last Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Try a Caesar.

Or... had a dozen Puget Sound oysters last weekend in Seattle, early on before quite the session. Both woke up clean as a whistle. Used to have them in Davy Byrnes back in Duke St - always works.

What a top laff in Seattle last Saturday night.

Next time your in a supermarket have a look at the Mott's Clamato ingredient list, MSG is the third or fourth ingredient, they're not tasty but they are addictive.

I work in a bar in Calgary and often take the Sunday morning shift, in the 3 months I've been here I've made thousands of Caesers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

try a caeser? i brought clamato and caesar rimmer to ireland for christmas to make my own :P love them

• Registered Users Posts: 48 HandsomePete

Delira wrote: »

Is this toronto?? please tell me yes! :pac:

I saw them in the Oakville Walmart

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Next time your in a supermarket have a look at the Mott's Clamato ingredient list, MSG is the third or fourth ingredient, they're not tasty but they are addictive.

Oh no didnt realise that. Ive got a huge container of it in the fridge! Thanks for heads up mate.

Advertisement