Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much is too much mileage on a diesel car?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Just keep the maintenance up!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2749168&postcount=133

Looks like a TDI (VE).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

bbk wrote: »
    Just keep the maintenance up!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2749168&postcount=133

Looks like a TDI (VE).

Ye can't kill an old 1.9. Don't think the same will be said of the new cr stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Ye can't kill an old 1.9. Don't think the same will be said of the new cr stuff:)

Yeah, makes me feel better that I probably won't have anything major happen to mine. I do take care of mine if I do say so myself. 400,000 off making it to the 600,000 mile club on TDICLUB anyway :p

From the sounds of it, the US version of a commute is quite a long trip indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

Yeah, I suppose cheap fuel makes people consider commuting crazy distances;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bbk wrote: »
    Yeah, makes me feel better that I probably won't have anything major happen to mine. I do take care of mine if I do say so myself. 400,000 off making it to the 600,000 mile club on TDICLUB anyway :p

From the sounds of it, the US version of a commute is quite a long trip indeed.

Heard people say "Oh, your commute is only an hour? Lucky you!""

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Loro78

Hi guys,
    Don't have much clue about cars altogether, but looking into buying my very first diesel car! I fell in love with the Volvo S40/s60 and v40/60ies, they're just absolute stunners! I have approx 5 to 7 grant to spend, and was looking at cars between 04 and 07. Mostly 1.6 or 1.9 Diesel. Only, most of them have an exorbitant high mileage, starting off generally around the 110 k, if I'm lucky a little lower than that but immediately reflected in d price!

I've heard the Volvo S are very susceptible to dpf (or dmf?) filter failure, turbo breaking etc, but really badly want a Volvo...

What do ye think would be an acceptable mileage for, say, a 05 Volvo 1.6 Diesel? And roughly what price should that b going for? I've no idea whatsoever! Also, any ideas what to look out for in Volvo s? I'm planning on keeping the car until it dies, more or less...

Thanks a lot, any input highly appreciated! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 05 diesel car is going on 10 years old, the majority of them will have north of 100k or 150k miles on them at this stage and I'd be very suspect of anything with less than that on them unless there was hard evidence to prove otherwise.

Also there is no set mileage at when things like DPFs or DMFs fail on modern diesels, however they are more prone to failure as the mileage gets higher. Ideally finding an example that has had either or both replaced by the previous owner is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Main thing is to be sure about the mileage. Somehow most diesels seem just around the 100k when for sale.

But if it really is 90k then thats a plus for a six year old car.
    Depends on the rest of the car, but at 90k the engine will not be worn out or anything, unless abused. Just about worn in I'd say.

Which doesn't mean there can't be other stuff wrong as others already had mentioned. Wear and tear stuff, diesel filters, turbo bits, each car usually has their own array of known bits that should be replaced/serviced at certain intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

UK back are far superior to ours.

Lol. Clearly haven't done much back road driving in the UK. Some of the back roads in Cornwall make the back roads in the arse of the Cavan drumlins look like High quality motorways.

Thanks a lot for your reply, every little bit of info is very helpful to me. What do you reckon should be my absolute max ceiling in mileage generally?? Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

All depends on how the car is looked after, I know it's been said already but I've been in cars with near half a million miles on that were better than others with less than 100k, I'm currently in a TDI Golf plus with near 250k miles, the only thing that ever went was a clogged up fuel pump, no problems with a DMF, DPF, EGR etc etc. I previously had a Mondeo with 120k miles that had already had a DMF and then shot it's injectors.

Suppose the only way to find out how a car has been looked after is via service history, invoices etc - and having a bit of good luck, too (which I never had in relation to cars, unfortunately!)... Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Have a 05 1.3 cdti astra with 143k miles. Clutch and egr both at 136k miles and a battery at 126k. Car drives far better than my 1.6 petrol astra with 130k on the clock, its a 98 and runs perfect but its slow compared to the diesel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Everyone just looks at DMF and DPF on diesels with high mileage, why ignore the rest of the car?
    My CMax has 310k km on it and, yes, it did have the clutch and DMF done, but what you really want to look out for are the usual wear bits, like brakes, shocks, suspension, exhaust, buckled wheels, timing belt, hidden rust, general bad servicing, stored fault codes, accident damage and so on.
    I fear that there is a new breed of diesel buyer who "knows his stuff" who will only look at DPF, DMF and injectors and buy the car because it's grand and then find out that there's more to buying a car than checking 2-3 items that get a lot of attention buy petrol car owners down the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It's hard to say what the ceiling should be.
    I've seen 3 year old cars with 200k on them and they were perfect. Company car doing a couple of airport runs a day.

My personal ceiling for a car I'd intend to keep for a few years is probably around 100k kilometres (60 odd k miles). Maybe a little more, up to 90k, for a diesel.

The main thing is how genuine us the mileage?

If you ran stats for cars for sale you'd find that hardly anyone needs a diesel as they all seem to stay under 100k in their first 5 or 6 years. Which I find hard to believe.
    I'd say - and this is totally gut feeling no more - that 50% plus of Irish second hand cars for sale are clocked.

Advertisement