Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime dog licence

Options
  • 13-02-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Does anyone have a lifetime dog licence? If so what details does the licence contain about your dog?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yes, I have one for my youngster, which I got a couple of weeks after they came out.

It has all the details that are on the normal annual licence (name, address, dog's breed, colour, sex, chip number). But the one difference with my lifetime licence is that there's a photo of the dog on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

DBB wrote: »
    Yes, I have one for my youngster, which I got a couple of weeks after they came out.

It has all the details that are on the normal annual licence (name, address, dog's breed, colour, sex, chip number). But the one difference with my lifetime licence is that there's a photo of the dog on it.

Oh, didn't realise they'd have a photo. Did you have to take him/her to a photo booth, and get them to sit on the stool, staring ahead without smiling? :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ISDW wrote: »
    Oh, didn't realise they'd have a photo. Did you have to take him/her to a photo booth, and get them to sit on the stool, staring ahead without smiling? :P

And can you dress them up? Any restrictions on head gear/sunglasses? Does their face have to fit perfectly in the oval?

Sorry :pac:

Did you have to take him/her to a photo booth, and get them to sit on the stool, staring ahead without smiling? :P
    Stheno wrote: »
    And can you dress them up? Any restrictions on head gear/sunglasses? Does their face have to fit perfectly in the oval?

Well, yes. What else did you expect? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well, yes. What else did you expect? :confused:

I was joking :) Two person job to take the photos, or just liberal use of treats?

• Advertisement

I was joking :)

I know! :o

Two person job to take the photos, or just liberal use of treats?

You know the score when it comes to photographing black dogs, so in truth, if I had just scribbled a large black inky blob onto the paper, it'd would have looked something like what her photo looks like on her license :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

is there any point to a dog license ? surely another reason for the government to ride us:o i volunteer and donate to charity's i think i would rather do that then buy a license;);)

I know! :o

You know the score when it comes to photographing black dogs, so in truth, if I had just scribbled a large black inky blob onto the paper, it'd would have looked something like what her photo looks like on her license :D

You forgot a smiley in your grumpy "well what did you expect" post :)

How do white dogs turn out?

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    is there any point to a dog license ? surely another reason for the government to ride us:o i volunteer and donate to charity's i think i would rather do that then buy a license;);)
    It be the law?

oh yea the law:D:D

• Advertisement

Not only do I run a rescue, I also pay to have my own dogs licensed! Breaking the law is not the answer!

You forgot a smiley in your grumpy "well what did you expect" post :)

How do white dogs turn out?

I toyed with the idea of a smiley smiley, but thought you'd get that I was messing... Oops! :o
    Little small white dogs? Usually either sticking their tongue out at the camera, or giving it the fingers :P

Sorry DBB we will just have to agree to disagree;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

The money collected from them go towards funding the pounds, as far as Im aware anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I thought it was a bit jinxy when we were due a new license a few months ago so just got the 1 year one! :p

well then as a dog lover why would i want to pay money to aid dogs being put down? would be not be better to donate that money to dog shelters where a dog will be well looked after:D

I toyed with the idea of a smiley smiley, but thought you'd get that I was messing... Oops! :o
    Little small white dogs? Usually either sticking their tongue out at the camera, or giving it the fingers :P

Typical small dogs :o
    well then as a dog lover why would i want to pay money to aid dogs being put down? would be not be better to donate that money to dog shelters where a dog will be well looked after:D

If you are a dog lover then you'll not mind your money going to a local centre where animals at least get collected and sent to centrally, giving their owners an opportunity to find and reclaim them, giving people looking for a dog a chance to give an abandoned dog a home, and giving rescues a central point of contact where they can go to work with and rescue dogs who otherwise would have been put to sleep.

Dog pounds, like them or loathe them, are a fairly vital service, thousands of dogs pass through them every year, and many of those thousands get a second chance at life because pounds exist.

In the past ten years, due to increased awareness and greater involvement of rescues in those pounds, euthanasia rates have decreased significantly.

What would you prefer? that we have dogs roaming the streets, hungry, injured and prey to anyone that might come across them?
    Or the situation as currently exists in Galway where there is a herd of abandoned horses?

The pound system is not perfect, and neither is every pound in it, but it serves a function, and having worked directly with pounds, I would be of the opinion that they do more good than not.

Now, I know people find it very hard to see past the pounds, but they do, like it or not, provide a vital function.
    If you're lucky enough to live in a county with a good, pro-active pound, then your license money goes towards enforcement of dog control laws (loose dogs, dangerous dogs, dog crap etc), and towards the rehoming of dogs that would otherwise have been left to wander the streets.
    It's not the pounds' fault there are so many dogs in them. It's the irresponsible owners.
    The truth is that there would be more misery for many dogs if the pounds weren't there, though I know some pounds are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I called to well over 100 houses today for dog licences. I got some good answers.
    Here are the best three.
    Me Ding dong "Sorry for bothering you Sir but have you any dogs"? Been married to one for thirty years but I got rid. Me " ok cheers"

No. 2 Any dogs on the premises Sir"? Him no closes door. I walk three steps and woof woof woof from his front window. I call back and say you said you'd no dog. He said "no I said I've no licence" and English wasn't his first language either. All smiles to each other and just logged it accordingly.

No.3 ding dong. Checking for dog licences Mam. (Had already seen dog) ok wait one minute. Came back with a tv licence. She then just shrugged her shoulders and said no English. Pointing at a picture of a dog I ended up barking on her door step trying to explain. We eventually communicated the point to each other but her poor doggy was beside himself with my bad accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Isn't there a system that says there are licenses or not? I know I have them for my two, but if you called to the door I'd have trouble finding them. :D

Also, do you check if dogs have tags in their own homes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Whispered wrote: »
    Isn't there a system that says there are licenses or not? I know I have them for my two, but if you called to the door I'd have trouble finding them. :D

Also, do you check if dogs have tags in their own homes?
    Yes have data base. Hard copy is very random not in door number order or not in any great useable order so we call to all houses bar it's easy to tell they are licence holders. Data base is also sensitive to misspellings, bad data entry, people changing addresses etc.
    I don't ask for tags at door but leaflet we hand in is very good in that regard. I always ask though when patrolling parks and canals etc for dog walkers. Usually use it as an icebreaker as it is usually a visible call before I approach person in charge of dog. The majority of the time I've made my mind up on what outcome I'm seeking before I approach the person the only sway would be on the attitude and or demeanour I receive.
    On not finding them if the person is genuine a thrall back at work should usually concur with the owners claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

Thanks for this. I'm having some trouble with my local council in trying to get one. The licence they were providing was a general dog licence with the heading changed. It did not contain any details on the dog. I wanted to see if this was the same in other areas.

jimjim12 wrote: »

Thanks for this. I'm having some trouble with my local council in trying to get one. The licence they were providing was a general dog licence with the heading changed. It did not contain any details on the dog. I wanted to see if this was the same in other areas.

I know I caused a mild kerfuffle when I asked for one, I was the first in the county to get one! They were preparing for them in the council alright, just weren't quite ready! But they pulled it together in a day or two. This new license is not widely known about, sounds like you caught your council on the hop!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

How much is the new 'lifetime' licence, is it a flat fee regardless of age of dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Cant understand why the dog license is a piece of paper. Both mine are licensed but I havent a clue where they are. In the UK you get a tag with the license number on it which must be worn on the collar. Would probably make checking a lot easier too.

Cant understand why the dog license is a piece of paper. Both mine are licensed but I havent a clue where they are. In the UK you get a tag with the license number on it which must be worn on the collar. Would probably make checking a lot easier too.

its only in Northern Ireland that you have to buy a license for a dog, the rest of the UK don't have them.

acermaple wrote: »
    How much is the new 'lifetime' licence, is it a flat fee regardless of age of dog?

It's €120, regardless of the dog's age. When it was introduced in Jan 2012, the annual license was increased from €12.70 to €20 per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

its only in Northern Ireland that you have to buy a license for a dog, the rest of the UK don't have them.

really? I just assumed it was all over. The tags are a good job though.

really? I just assumed it was all over. The tags are a good job though.

I agree, I think the tags are a much better idea than paper. And at the moment, its only NI that has compulsory microchipping as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I agree, I think the tags are a much better idea than paper. And at the moment, its only NI that has compulsory microchipping as well.

+1 .
    I think the NI system is great and think it would encourage more people to get a licence if the dog had to wear a tag and indirectly I think it encourages more responsible dog ownership.

DBB (sorry cant do multiple quotes) Thanks for the info on the cost of the life time dog licence. I might think about them for my younger two - well they are are five.

But, and I know this is terrible, what happens if you get a lifetime dog licence for a dog thats 1 year old and it suffers a misfortunate and dies at 2 - I am assuming you dont get a rebate.
    I know its awful to think like this but its the logical/assessing side of the brain kicking in.

Advertisement