Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Hand Sketches Into Digital Pieces

Options
  • 13-02-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I'm an online marketer and I'm currently toying around with a few ideas; one being to create graphic novel style storyboards in the form of content for our company blog.

I'm looking to create a unique story around the brand I work for whereby a new chapter or page would be uploaded to the blog once a week. I'm not too shabby with the old pencil but was wondering if there was good hardware/software out there (cheap) that could transfer my work into digital form?

I was on the Wacom website and came across the Inkling: http://www.wacom.com/en/products/mobile/inkling

Has anyone used one of these before or can anyone recommend something else that I could use? I use a Mac by the way.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I'm an online marketer and I'm currently toying around with a few ideas; one being to create graphic novel style storyboards in the form of content for our company blog.

I'm looking to create a unique story around the brand I work for whereby a new chapter or page would be uploaded to the blog once a week. I'm not too shabby with the old pencil but was wondering if there was good hardware/software out there (cheap) that could transfer my work into digital form?

I was on the Wacom website and came across the Inkling: http://www.wacom.com/en/products/mobile/inkling

Has anyone used one of these before or can anyone recommend something else that I could use? I use a Mac by the way.

Cheers in advance.

I presume you mean that you want your sketches to look like they've been drawn digitally as opposed to just scanning in your paper work? I have a friend who has the inkling and loves it. There's also a tracing option in Adobe Illustrator but they only works well with relativley simple images with very defined outlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Yep drawn digitally. I'd find it pretty hard to draw digitally from scratch so I thought sketching and then converting would be the best option. So you'd recommend the Inkling for this?

Am I right in saying that if I simply just scanned my work,it would look terrible and would look like a photocopy of a hand drawn art piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that if I simply just scanned my work,it would look terrible and would look like a photocopy of a hand drawn art piece?

No, a scan will look exactly like your original. You wouldn't need to get the inkling. You could just get a cheap graphics tablet but you would also need software to work with. Free options are GIMP and Inkscape (for vector graphics)

I'll try the scan first and see how it looks. Cheers for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement