Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent Shockwave Flash Problem.

Options
  • 13-02-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've an intermittent problem with Shockwave Flash and am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem and if it's been solved.

If I power up my laptop (Dell Studio 1745, Windows 7) and I do not get the startup tones (which chimes when the user logon screen appears), then I know I'm going to have problems, ie no flash. My Google Talk messenger will not work, no YouTube, no watching DVDs, etc. Then when I power off, I will get a message saying that it is waiting for Explorer... logoff sound, and I get a "Force Shutdown" prompt.

However, this does not always happen. Usually the first time I power up in a given day. To get past the problem, I normally just power down completely (not restart), then power up again, and it's running fine. Alas, the Restart option has never resolved this, it has to be complete power down.

I've tried fiddling around with Flash in the browser (Chrome), disabling it, etc. Also uninstall flash, then reinstall. But there's never been a permanent fix.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When the problem occurs can you play audio files ok ? Do you hear any windows sounds ? Check device manager to see if there are any issues with the audio system both during the problem and after the power cycle.

When you shut down the computer normally do you do a full shut down or put it to sleep or simply close the lid ?

Might also be an idea to check the error logs to see if anything coincides with the fault.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

ZENER wrote: »
    When the problem occurs can you play audio files ok ? Do you hear any windows sounds ?

I'm not sure. I'll give it a go the next time the problem occurs.
    When you shut down the computer normally do you do a full shut down or put it to sleep or simply close the lid ?

A full shutdown everytime. I like the idea of the sleep and hibernate options but they just cause so many problems.
    Might also be an idea to check the error logs to see if anything coincides with the fault.

Ken

I never realised this existed. There are a few errors and warnings there but none that are obviously related to sound/video.
    When the problem recurs I'll have a fresh look immediately after Windows launches.

Thanks for the leads. I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

I googled one of the error messages and found someone with a similar flash problem.
    I followed their instructions. No problems so far. Will see how it goes.

Advertisement