Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employing a personal reader

Options
  • 13-02-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,
    not sure if this is the right place to ask but I am hoping for some guidance. I am an employer and am looking to hire a personal reader for my employee's professional exams. The exam body do not provide assistance and I am struggling to know where to start. Does anyone have any experience of this? I am aware of the FAS grant available, but speaking to FAS themselves has been a bit confusing as some of the info has been contradictory. Just wondering if anyone had any advice or opinion on how to best get the ball rolling...
    thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Fair play to you for looking after your employee.

There is indeed a FAS grant http://www.fas.ie/en/Allowances+and+Grants/Personal+Reader+Grant.htm

It says it is for 'work related reading', so you might have to craft a careful explanation as to why the exam is 'work related'.

I'm not sure where you'd find a reader. Try contacting the local NCBI or the Disability Services unit in your nearest university - they might have people on contract for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 makus

thank you for your help. I got in contact with some colleges who gave me the name of a disability action group that provide readers for exams. Hopefully they will be able to source a reader for us.
    Cheers :)

Advertisement