Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can GPU fry monitor?

Options
  • 13-02-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

My monitor died yesterday, at first it started making buzzing high pitch noise, brightness dropped suddenly and then I could smell burning plastic. Also top right corner of the screen got black. At that point I just switched it off.
    I plugged in my spare monitor and it started making that high pitch buzzing noice again. Other than that its working fine. Could it be video card that's causing this or what else should I check?
    Its hardly possible that I have two faulty monitors.
    P.S.
    I tried few different resolutions and its running on 60Hz by default so that's not a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd say dirty power would be more likely than the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

ED E wrote: »
    I'd say dirty power would be more likely than the GPU.

Dirty power? Do you mean bad power cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

He means not a proper 240v supply, possibly way above it if things are starting to melt!

Is the screen plugged straight into a wall socket? I'd also be changing the power cord as well just in case. I don't think the signal coming from the graphics card would do any damage as if it was powerful enough to melt the screen the graphics card would already be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

He means not a proper 240v supply, possibly way above it if things are starting to melt!

Is the screen plugged straight into a wall socket? I'd also be changing the power cord as well just in case. I don't think the signal coming from the graphics card would do any damage as if it was powerful enough to melt the screen the graphics card would already be dead.

Ah ok, thanks.
    Must test it tomorrow to see what is actually coming out of the wall socket. It's plugged in to the Belkin extension lead with surge protector. Must try different power cable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

TomasMan wrote: »
    Ah ok, thanks.
    Must test it tomorrow to see what is actually coming out of the wall socket. It's plugged in to the Belkin extension lead with surge protector. Must try different power cable as well.

your extension lead is likely faulty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

PCS, tvs, electronic devices,can be damaged by a power surge, thats why surge protectors are needed, especially in older buildings where the wiring maybe not so good.

Advertisement