Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI student loan

Options
  • 13-02-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I applied for a Student loan from Bank of ireland a few weeks ago. I am doing an apprenteceship and getting in a steady weekly wage which increases annualy by roughly €90, I showed them my contract and they kept a copy of it, i also had my mam down as a guarantor so basicaly i was pretty safe, i had agreed to pay the loan off at €50 a week, i wanted €5000, so it was a 2 year loan. I wanted the loan for a car to get in and out of work as i am using the folks car and its becoming a nusiance for them, To cut a long story short they rejedcted the loan as a car isnt a proper reason fot a student loan and they also said that i wasnt paying enough a week or some crap like that, needless to say i was extremely pissed off, anyone know a different route to take with the bank, I tried the credit union and they say i have to have 50% of what i want or been saving for so lone, which neither i have,

Any help would be greatle appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

pinto 2.0 wrote: »
    I applied for a Student loan from Bank of ireland a few weeks ago. I am doing an apprenteceship and getting in a steady weekly wage which increases annualy by roughly €90, I showed them my contract and they kept a copy of it, i also had my mam down as a guarantor so basicaly i was pretty safe, i had agreed to pay the loan off at €50 a week, i wanted €5000, so it was a 2 year loan. I wanted the loan for a car to get in and out of work as i am using the folks car and its becoming a nusiance for them, To cut a long story short they rejedcted the loan as a car isnt a proper reason fot a student loan and they also said that i wasnt paying enough a week or some crap like that, needless to say i was extremely pissed off, anyone know a different route to take with the bank, I tried the credit union and they say i have to have 50% of what i want or been saving for so lone, which neither i have,

If it is just a car you want try get a cheaper car for around €1,500. You'd pick up a nice taxed and tested car for that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

A €5k car for a student! Of course they are concerned. You can get a decent car for €2k which will last a number of years. I am working in good professional job with decent money and my car is only worth about €4k. Be a bit more realistic about it and they may consider it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

pinto 2.0 wrote: »

You most likely got refused because you were applying for loan that's normally used to put students through college and pay for fees. You'd have a better chance of getting the loan if it was a car loan you'd applied for.
    As the others have said 5k is a bit much for a car to borrow. My advice is to head over to the bangernomics thread and they'll find a nice car/van with test in good spec and condition for under 2k.

Advertisement