Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compare

Options
  • 13-02-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

What is the price diff in running a 70 w metal halide to a 80 w fluorescent tube ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hello Daithi,

We mostly deal with customer supply rather than queries as technical as the above. ESB Networks are the people for engineering queries.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daithi136

Hey Una , they were no help , I can figure out price of fluorescent tube on your calculator just can't find out how much to run a 70w metal halide . If you or anyone could give me an idea that would b great . Cheers , Daithi .
    Hello Daithi,

We mostly deal with customer supply rather than queries as technical as the above. ESB Networks are the people for engineering queries.

Regards,
    Una

Hi again Daithi,

I am still trying to get a definitive answer on this, and will have it for you ASAP.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As a unit is a kilowatt/hour then surely a 70 watt costs 1/8 less than an 80watt irrespective of what the item is - provided the wattage is constant. Could be off the wall but it's just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daithi136

I know what your saying alright but the metal halides are renouned for being heavy on power and the fluorescent tubes ( which are A rated ) are supposed to be fairly efficient , don't know now !

• Advertisement

Hi Daithi,

Thanks for your patience.

A 70W metal halide lamp will cost about 11 cent to run, over a 10-hour period if the electricity costs 16 cent per kilowatt hour. So it is roughly 1.12 cent per hour.
    If it is a floodlight, a 30W LED lamp would give equivalent light at a running cost of 48 cent per hour. So if running for 10 hours a day, yearly cost for a 70W metal halide is €40.88 euro and yearly cost for 30W LED would be €17.52.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's exactly what I said. 70 watt is 70 watt. 70 watts of anything for 10 hours is 11 cent. 0.7 kWh x 16 cent = 11.2

Advertisement