Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The secret life of dogs!

• 13-02-2013 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

I don't know if anyone caught the programme "The Secret Life of Dogs" that was on last week. I had recorded it and finally got to watch it. What an brilliant programme it was. It really reminded me of just how incredible these animals are.

I think sometimes I take for granted how amazing dogs are and in particular those that are trained for search and rescue, assistance for the blind among other jobs.

I felt such an urge to sit beside my boy and give him so many cuddles and just take time to reflect on how much better mine and my families lives are because he's here.

Maybe try to see if you can watch online on the itv catch up or something. Definitely worth a look for any dog lover.

Anyone else see it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah, it was absolutely great. The thing that fascinated me most was the slow-motion capture of the dog drinking out of his bowl. I always thought that the dog would curve his tongue into a little 'bowl' like humans can to drink, but instead it curls backwards and scoops up water that way! I was very surprised at that. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

I don't know if it was the same programme but I saw a thing that has scientifically proven dogs are the only animal that can recognise human facial expressions and definately know when we are happy, sad, angry etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Yeah, it was absolutely great. The thing that fascinated me most was the slow-motion capture of the dog drinking out of his bowl. I always thought that the dog would curve his tongue into a little 'bowl' like humans can to drink, but instead it curls backwards and scoops up water that way! I was very surprised at that. :o

Me too! And also that dogs are left pawed and right pawed!! Straight away went to check it out on Sami...he's right pawed. :)

Really amazed me the story of the guy in the wheelchair who got hit by a car and his assistant dog saved his life. And I'll admit, tears were shed and not just by me but by himself too!!! :D

I don't know if it was the same programme but I saw a thing that has scientifically proven dogs are the only animal that can recognise human facial expressions and definately know when we are happy, sad, angry etc.

Think thats the same one. There was reference to dogs being able to understand what mood we're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone caught the programme "The Secret Life of Dogs" that was on last week. I had recorded it and finally got to watch it. What an brilliant programme it was. It really reminded me of just how incredible these animals are.
    What channel (and day) was it on, and was it "the secret life of dogs", or "the secret life of the dog"?

If it was on the BBC, was this it;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It was on ITV/UTV, a program by Martin Clunes, and called "The Secret Life of Dogs".

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

the_syco wrote: »
    What channel (and day) was it on, and was it "the secret life of dogs", or "the secret life of the dog"?

If it was on the BBC, was this it;

youtube link...

No that's an older one.

Not sure if itv player works in Ireland but here's a link anyway... https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-secret-life-of-dogs - EDIT - no it doesnt work but you can see details about the programme.

Here's a short clip from youtube: http://youtu.be/k_Jzb0yWdcU

It's part of a series narrated by Martin Clunes. The following week's episode was about horses - "Martin Clunes - Heavy Horsepower"

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

damoth wrote: »
    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-secret-life-of-dogs - EDIT - no it doesnt work but you can see details about the programme.

Go find a UK postcode from anywhere, plug it in after registering and it'll work.

carav10 wrote: »
    Go find a UK postcode from anywhere, plug it in after registering and it'll work.
    No it won't, not for me anyway. It seems to use GeoIP lookup to ascertain your location, regardless of what you enter as a postcode on registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Is this it???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCfdtEhHokM

I think it is :)

• Advertisement

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Is this it???

Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeah it was brilliant, i stumbled on it by accident and missed the first half so cheers for posting the link. It was really informative i learned loads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

I really enjoyed that. Incredibly sweet story of Endell. Thanks OP and for the youtube link!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

such a pity they can't live as long as we humans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Thanks a lot for sharing!!
    I just finished watching it and I was about crying all the time for love to dogs!!
    They are incredible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

jsabina wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for sharing!!
    I just finished watching it and I was about crying all the time for love to dogs!!
    They are incredible!!!

Read this and thought to myself yeh they are incredible! So i turned to cuddle my dog and there she is cleaning her arse. Incredible alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Watched it last night and our guy was gas! He kept walking over to the TV and standing in front of it staring! I must post a picture of it later.

Brilliant show. Frodo is mad for cocking his head to the side when looking at us. Now we know why :D

Yunnie wrote: »
    Read this and thought to myself yeh they are incredible! So i turned to cuddle my dog and there she is cleaning her arse. Incredible alright....

Charming! :D

My lad was huffing and puffing throughout the programme. I think he thinks they are intruding on "his patch" when he sees animals on the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Is this it???

Thanks for that; it was awesome and cute :)

Advertisement