Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cure for colic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

I know exactly what your going thru hanna.v! My first had colic really really bad and you feel so bad you cant do anything for them! :( We tried different tablets but they didnt do anything, then got my hands on a bottle of gripe water and it worked wonders. We also changed over to Dr. Browns bottles which helped cut down the amount of air been taken in!

What you can also try is just keep the baby up against you cause the heat on her tummy can help bring up the wind and also, if you have a rocking chair, it can sooth both baby and mommy (or daddy)

Hope everything work out for you and baby :)

And for OP, there is no cure for colic unfortunately, babies will eventually grow out of it after a few weeks but defo get some gripe water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hey a roundabout suggestion just occurred to me. You certainly have your hands full so maybe one approach to take is to manage yourself really well.

So you'll be less frustrated by the crying make sure you're eating as nutritiously as possible, that you are getting rest as much as you can (early nights for a while!), take all offers of babysitting, get some good exercise - post natal yoga or Pilates. Maybe bring your baby to mother and baby yoga?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 masie74

PM sent with phone no for cure. Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

There's a reiki healer woman in inniskeen that's supposed to be very good, my niece had reflux and they found this gave her relief

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

pwurple wrote: »
    Xzanti, I'm not trying to convince you. i know seeing something with your own eyes is much more convincing than anything I can write.

But this is a public internet board which will show up in searches for years to come. Just adding the potential side effects so people don't assume it's risk free.

Alternative therapies are great when they are non-invasive, like aromatherapy or colour therapy. The worst that can go wrong there is that people become so convinced by it, they stop taking their medication.

But when they can do physical harm, like moving skull bones or manipulating someones spine, however rare, it's a different story. The brain and the spinal chord are not things you want to damage.
    If you knew how much discomfort little babies are in when they have skeletal issues you would not be so quick to judge how good or bad Osteopath are. If you had a slipped disc in your back you would be in severe pain, I know because I had one. If I can comfort a helpless baby I will give them every chance possible. We took our little lady to a Cranial Osteopath because we tried plenty medical treatments and none worked. We were at the doctor several times with a very unhappy baby who suffered with extreme colic trauma and reflux after a long labour followed by a C section. The only answer we were getting from the doctor was it will get better but we don't know what is wrong with her. The baby slept all the way through the examination and the procedure at the Osteopath. Immediate effects were seen that night. No sign of colic, voilent crying in her sleep almost disappeared and reflux stopped after only one session. The Osteopath told us we should see immediate progress and we did. Now you can say what you want but for the 3 problems to nearly vanish after one session is more than a lucky guess. She did say It does not always work and not to bother with any more treatment if this was the case but it was still better than going to a doctor who was doing nothing. All Osteopath have to be registered so I don't know where you get the idea that they are not a recognised organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

pwurple wrote: »
    Xzanti, I'm not trying to convince you. i know seeing something with your own eyes is much more convincing than anything I can write.

But this is a public internet board which will show up in searches for years to come. Just adding the potential side effects so people don't assume it's risk free.

Yes, I think we can all agree that any practice of that nature is never risk free.. especially where new babies are concerned.. and I will reiterate that there is only one clinic that I ever recommend.. and I have acknowledged that it is unregulated so people need to be cautious.

With regards pulling up horror stories from the internet.. please (if you haven't already) type "Cranial Osteopathy is it safe?" into Google.ie

The entire first page is full of positive reviews.. including a discussion forum from the VHI website containing yet more good reviews from parents who have opted for the treatment.

Just in the interest of keeping things balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

i am so grateful for all the tips and advice from everyone, in the end i will wait for one more week to start using grape water (dd will be one month old than which is recommended age) and if it does not give any result i will call the osteopath and see what they say. i am pretty sure though that all her problems are strongly related to the harness shes wearing for her hip dysplasia that prevents her from moving/kicking her legs. anyways i thank you all for the ideas and help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

hanna.v wrote: »
    i am so grateful for all the tips and advice from everyone, in the end i will wait for one more week to start using grape water (dd will be one month old than which is recommended age) and if it does not give any result i will call the osteopath and see what they say. i am pretty sure though that all her problems are strongly related to the harness shes wearing for her hip dysplasia that prevents her from moving/kicking her legs. anyways i thank you all for the ideas and help!

I'd say you're on the money, kicking the legs is a sure fire way of moving wind, if she can't do that she can't move it along. Hopefully the gripe water will help :)

Advertisement