Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post registered letter issue

Options
  • 13-02-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I sent a registered letter last week, it was a deposit for a tattoo in Belfast.

I put money in the envelope and sent it registered, as you do.

I got an email from the studio today saying that they got the envelope but that it was empty, I 100% sent the money and I remember clearly putting it into the envelope when I got the money from the teller.

I'm at a loss as to what to do really, I have asked the studio if the handwritting etc matched that on the envelope as it did on the letter, so I am waiting to hear back from them.

Is their any cover on this from An Post or am I out of pocket?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are the shop in Belfast telling the truth or has a staff member pocketed the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are the shop in Belfast telling the truth or has a staff member pocketed the cash?

It's a family business with a husband and wife, they also already charge and I have met them. I sent a deposit last year and never put my name on it but she knew I had sent it from an earlier email. They dont come across as the type of people who would rip you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why didn't you get a Postal Order with the cash? You should NEVER send anyone cash!

Meanwhile - if you have the receipt with the tracking number, I'd get on to An Post. Ask them to start an investigation.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

An post never cover money sent through the post. Even registered. You simply cant send cash, ever.

Yeah it seems that way, looks like I made a balls of this one anyway!

Although, I should get onto them, at least to inform them of it, I know that they can't cover it and won't, but it was registered and someone must have opened it and gone through it.

Right pain in the hole this one!

• Advertisement

Just checked my tracker number, "NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS" twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well - someone's telling porkies. Your supplier says they got the envelope, sans cash. An Post say there was no answer.

Draw your own conclusions, OP.

It was only delivered there yesterday, even though I sent it on the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Cash is never covered. (I should know - I worked there)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Did they say whether the envelope had been tampered with before they opened it ?

Presuming of course that you sealed the envelope prior to posting .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't see what come back you have OP,

An Post don't cover cash being put in the post like you did, you should have used a moneyorder or cheque.

You can only speculate regarding if the recipient stole the money, you'll never be able to prove anything

I heard back from the studio today, they said that there was sellotape on the envelope, and I sealed with from licking the glue, so thats a handy few bob for someone.

I might as well notify An Post but I won't bother trying to get my money back. The studio have been very understanding and we are working something out.

Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

This is interesting because I recently found some old punt notes and was looking at the options for exchanging them for Euro.

Because I live a long way from Dublin and rarely travel there during normal business hours (which would allow me to visit the Central Bank), I was considering doing the following as indicated on the Central Bank's website:

If you wish to exchange your Irish banknotes by post you should send them to the address given below.

Please also complete the exchange form set out below; this completed form should be sent along with a copy of your photographic ID and your banknotes. Subject to the successful completion of the Bank’s verification/authentication process, the Bank will then send a payment directly into your bank account for the appropriate amount. Failure in completing the form in full or failure to submit all relevant supporting documentation will result in delay in reimbursement.

Mutilated Notes Section
    Currency Centre
    Central Bank of Ireland
    PO Box 61
    Sandyford
    Dublin 16

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/exchange/Pages/irishnotes.aspx

I was planning on sending them by registered post but I was worried that the first line of the above address was a bit obvious for any, er, interested observers along the route ...... and now I see the OP's experience.

I could put the notes in an envelope addressed as above and then put this into another envelope with the first two lines left out and send it by registered post to this address.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I'm just curious. Why would you need to send a deposit for a tattoo :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

emeldc wrote: »
    I'm just curious. Why would you need to send a deposit for a tattoo :confused:
    Presumably because tattoo artists bill by the hour, so if the OP is planning on booking out 5 hours in their studio, they want some kind of guarantee that he'll actually turn up rather than leave their studio sitting idle for that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The other problem is that item will have been handled by the Royal Mail as well as An Post, so there are two companies involved.

You should 100% definitely report it anyway. If they've a tracking barcode on it they can look at CCTV and stuff around the time the item was scanned / where it was scanned.

Definitely worth investigating, even if it's not covered.

Cash in the post's always a pretty bad idea though as it can be lifted quite easily and sometimes even at the receiving end by someone else e.g. shared hallway / mail area in a business / apartment building.

We had an apartment in the centre of Cork and our mailboxes were regularly broken open and rifled through by various unsavory characters looking for cash / cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

jprboy wrote: »
    If you wish to exchange your Irish banknotes by post you should send them to the address given below.

Please also complete the exchange form set out below; this completed form should be sent along with a copy of your photographic ID and your banknotes. Subject to the successful completion of the Bank’s verification/authentication process, the Bank will then send a payment directly into your bank account for the appropriate amount. Failure in completing the form in full or failure to submit all relevant supporting documentation will result in delay in reimbursement.

Mutilated Notes Section
    Currency Centre
    Central Bank of Ireland
    PO Box 61
    Sandyford
    Dublin 16

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/exchange/Pages/irishnotes.aspx .......

That's mental. They are actually suggesting you send cash into then by post???!!! You may as well post it directly to Anpost with a sign on it saying "Alert! Money inside!"

Advertisement