Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglesey Coastal Path

Options
  • 13-02-2013 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Seen this advertised in the Metro yesterday as being a 12 day stroll around the entire 200km coastline.
    Has anyone done this trek and is it possible to walk 20 to 30 km per day and catch a B&B or guesthouse enroute at the end of each days walk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I walked this back in 2007, but did it in 9 days rather than 12. I'm not sure you'd be able to do it just on-spec, and try and find a B&B on the night, but with a bit of advanced planning it's certainly possible, even though you may have to deviate slightly from the path to get to them. I booked mine through a company in the UK called Contours (http://www.contours.co.uk) and they book everything in advance, and arrange baggage transfers, and they do variations from 8-14 days, depending on how far you want to walk each day. They'll also arrange taxi transfers if for one reason or another the only B&B they can book is a bit too far from the coast to walk. We didn't need this in our case though.

The walk itself is a bit of an eye opener, having previously only ever driven across the middle of the island at high speed from Holyhead along the A55, and you realise quite how varied the coastline is .. quite rugged and rocky on the north coast, sand dunes on the south west, and some charming little villages on the way.

If you like I can fish out the info on the B&B's where we stayed. I should say that they were a bit varied, some were just about OK, others were fine, but one or two were really nice and friendly. Luck of the draw really.

EDIT: I should add that there are a number of companies that offer a service similar to what Contours offer, but I've used them a number of times for various LDP's in the UK and always been pleased.

Advertisement