Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CER / Utilities dispute

Options
  • 13-02-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Looking for some advise. I had an issue for close on 5 years where I knew that I was being over charged by my electricity supplier ( ESB & Airtricity ). Numerous times I questioned my bill and was given every possible reason from for it being excessive from a faulty kettle to seal on fridge. Anyway to cut a long story short it was edventually found that my neighbour had a cross wire to my meter. This was done at the time the house was built and the meter was installed by the builder and signed off by ESB Networks.

After over 12 months of constant letters to CER/ESB/Airtricity/ESB Networks I was edventually refunded the amount I was overcharged. I contested that I should also be reimbursed for all of the letters, phone calls & the expense of having to get independent electricians to identity the problem (this was on the advise of utility company) I also took 2 days off work for appointments with ESB Networks. One of these they never turned up for but tried to charge me €250 for an unnecessary call out. I literally had to fight tooth and nail to get the problem fixed.

Anyway main issue I have now is CER think €105 compensation covers all of the expenses I have incurred. I have given them a detailed breakdown and it is closer to €600. I have been told the CER decision is final and they will not request utility companies to pay any additional expenses.

Any idea how I can take this further, the small claims court say they can not get involved as the CER is the governing body. It's Also worth noting that I'm now waiting a few months for the €105 euro compensation and dispite sending follow up emails have not received this amount.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, Just curious how exactly are you calculating the 600 amount? How is it breaking down, how much of it is made up of "my personal time x amount, or letter = 15e"?

How did CER come to the 105 amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Design78

I gave CER a full breakdown of the following:
    Phone calls - made from mobile as I don't have a landline
    Electrician - airtricity told me it was a faulty fuse box and I needed to sort myself
    2 days unpaid leave - to meet with ESB Networks

I did not have anything in for personal time for correspondence ect only the time that I had to take off work.

Also I had said I should be due some form of interest for the time they held overpayments, 5 years in total. I didn't have an amount suggested for this and it was not included in the €600.

CER Respose to my dispute over compensation offered was:

"The CER has determined that the combined ex gratia payment is a fair
    and reasonable resolution given the respective customer service failings by both suppliers and the network operator. In light of this, the CER now considers this matter resolved. Thank you for contacting the CER. We hope we have been of some assistance in relation to this matter."

Advertisement