Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos restricting job opportunities

Options
  • 13-02-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

So I'm planning on getting an upper-arm half sleeve soon, but before I do, I wanted to check with you all about the possibility of it getting in the way of a career. Hopefully I'll heading down the engineer path, going into college next year.
    I already have one a bit above my left elbow, and obviously long sleeve shirts can solve most problems, but I thought I should still find out anyways

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Unless your planning this :D

faceTattoo_2471516b.jpg

I wouldnt worry too much, everything on the arms can be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

As long as you get nothing below the wrist and above the neckline you can wear a suit and nobody will be any the wiser. I wouldn't over think that aspect of a half sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Once you've nothing on the head, neck and hands you should be fine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

If you have any doubt at all do not proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If a shirt cuff or collar can hide it then fire away, if they can't then hold back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Op only you can answer that one really it all depends on the line of work you work in, or were you see your future as regards work. But as other have said generally most tattoos can be easily concealed with a long sleeve shirt if needs be.

Or alternatively even if you're not sure about placement but are sure about the idea and 100% want the tattoo maybe think of other places to put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Chikablam wrote: »
    So I'm planning on getting an upper-arm half sleeve soon, but before I do, I wanted to check with you all about the possibility of it getting in the way of a career. Hopefully I'll heading down the engineer path, going into college next year.
    I already have one a bit above my left elbow, and obviously long sleeve shirts can solve most problems, but I thought I should still find out anyways

I'm currently studying engineering as a mature student and having worked various jobs over the last few years I can say that I'd recommend getting nothing below the elbow (ie: nothing that would be visible with your sleeves rolled up. That's my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm currently studying engineering as a mature student and having worked various jobs over the last few years I can say that I'd recommend getting nothing below the elbow (ie: nothing that would be visible with your sleeves rolled up. That's my view.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, cheers everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Just to throw my 2cent in on this. I work for a corporate bank. No dealings with the public, but do on occasion have meetings with clients and other banks that we deal with. I have 2 big tattoo's on each upper arm, and 2 on right forearm. Now, Monday to Thursday, it's a shirt and tie job, so nothing is visible, unless i wear a white shirt, then the two upper arm ones can be seen, but only if you actually pay attention. On Fridays, baring any meetings with externals, we are casual. Generally, i would still wear long sleeve T's or light shirts, but have on occasion worn short sleeve rugby shirts (The collared ones, not Leinster or the likes). Now, obviously with short sleeves, the two on my forearm can be seen, but nobody has commented/hinted/or asked for them to be covered. I have worked here for 10 years mind.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, by all means, get the tattoo where it can easily be covered, but, you could always find yourself working for a company that is pretty open minded about tattoo's. It will take time to get a feel of their thinking on tattoo's, but you could be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Once it can be covered up I wouldn't worry about it. My bf has both sleeves done and his whole torso is covered in ink, he is an engineer and is just completing his degree in college but has worked in various engineering jobs and has never had any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I am looking to get a wrist tattoo but work in professional services, should I not get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kitten_k wrote: »
    I am looking to get a wrist tattoo but work in professional services, should I not get it?

Nah go for it, I don't see any circumstances where visible tattoos may cause problems in a particular profession

edit: thats sarcasm btw. Visible tattoos present problems to some employers in some professions. This should be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Unless your planning this :D

faceTattoo_2471516b.jpg

I wouldnt worry too much, everything on the arms can be covered

TBH if she had a second language and was good with numbers our place would still hire her :pac: our boss has a thing for diversity.

Tattoos seem to have lost a lot of the negative connotations associated with them in the past, I think a lot of employers look past them or even embrace individuality nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I'm an optician with multiple piercings and also tattoos on both my forearms.

I recently was offered a field service engineer position with my tattoos and piercings obviously not being a difficulty at all.

Peoples perceptions are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

RiseToMe wrote: »

Peoples perceptions are changing.

In some professions,perhaps.

My best friend has numerous facial piercings and tattoos,yet she was stunned to see that her son's teacher had a tongue piercing, and felt this was totally inappropriate for a teacher!
    Her reaction totally shocked me.

In my own line of work,I know my clients have an expectation of how I should /do behave-they'd be gobsmacked if they thought I was anything but what they see.....(a vision of perfection:D,needless to say!)

Eitherway,am not gonna rock the boat by flaunting my tattoos-
    I love my work,don't plan on changing it-so....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm fairly strongly of the opinion that your private life and work life are 2 totally separate entities. By that I mean that if you keep your tattoos discreet (keeping sleeves covered with long sleeve shirts etc) there's no reason why they should restrict any potential job opportunities.

Advertisement