Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry or casserole recipies with NO Vegetable chunks??

Options
  • 13-02-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys, my partner is almost impossible to cook for. He doesnt eat vegetables...well actually he does but as long as they are smooth. EG, in a creamy soup. He doesnt like "big bits" in his food. I was wondering if there are any recipies out there for things like curries, casseroles etc that don't have the chunky veg in that I can cook for him. He will eat any type of meat and tinned tomatoes or passata sauce.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In dishes such as curry, chilli, casseroles etc the veg provides a flavour as well as bulk. It might be best to take existing recipes and simply chop the veg really finely or even blend it up.

Failing that simply make the curry sauce up without adding veg. Just take them out of the recipe as I doubt you'll find one without them in some form.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

He sounds like my son:D:D

All I do is take the vegetable part of the curry / stew / bolognaise etc and blend it finely before adding it back to the meat. It means sometimes I have to cook two pots of food, but if it gets him eating so be it. I hate my veg too blended so tend to add extra veg to my food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

A food processor would be very handy for this. Pasta sauces, curry sauces, chilli con carne, stews, casseroles and soups can all be blended up.

With a spag bol for instance, I would brown the mince and remove it from the pan. Add the chopped veg to the pan (garlic, onion, carrot, celery, peppers) and fry until softened. Add the veg to the food processor and blend until smooth.

Add the meat, veg puree and chopped tinned tomatoes back to the pan and bring up to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes until everything is incorporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Bobotie is a possibility for you, it's a beef or lamb minced curry dish, finely chopped vegetables and then oven baked. It's not hot, it's very aromatic with a savoury custard on top and it's lovely served with rice or with salad and garlic bread, mind you he may not "do" salad either! It's a South African dish and there are lots of recipes out there but the one I have was given to me by a native, so to speak, if you'd like it to try on him, I'll gladly post it for you. It's quite a simple dish but the end product is fancy enough even for a casual dinner party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

If you have a hand mixer or blender or whatever a fresh and easy alternative to pasta sauce from a tin or jar is:

Chop an aubergine (eggplant) up into small cubes and toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes in a bowl with a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes and about 3 or 4 cloves of garlic. Do this any time and leave until you are ready.

When ready bake this lot on a tray or parchment, in the oven on 200C for about 30 mins or until the aubergine is golden. For extra flavor here I tend to sprinkle the lot with pine nuts about 20 minutes into the baking.

Start some pasta cooking at around the 20 minute mark too.

When the over stuff is finished turn it into puree (smoothness or lumpiness of your own choice) in your blender or hand mixer. Mint leaves and high quality olive oil are good to add to the lot before doing this. Optional of course.

Then just turf it all into the bowl, drop in the pasta, mix until everything is coated (parmasan a good addition at this stage) and eat eat eat.

As for curry without lumps there are many "dry" curry recipies out there. I personally love Goat Rendang:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s2194058.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Made this recently and it was lovely, I grated the carrot and apple so no big lumps.

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/family/chicken-curry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Reminds me of first 10 seconds of this clip :):)

Advertisement