Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McElearney, Tullycorbett, Monaghan

Options
  • 13-02-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I am trying to trace ancestors or descendants of a Bernard McElearney from the parish of Tullycorbett, Co. Monaghan, d.o.b 1868.

I understand that he emigrated to the USA after 1901. He had sisters called Rose, Mary Ann, Betty, Margaret, and Ellen, and a brother called Owen.

My grandmother was Ellen Brennan, nee McElearney. I am hoping that someone will have some information on Bernard.

Regards,

Brid Brennan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcelearney

My grandfather was named Owen McElearney. He lived in Cambridge MA from about 1900 to his death (which I don't remember, but I believe it was in the '60s)

He, and his wife Josephine had 7 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

@mcelearney - I can see Owen and his wife Josephine F. on various US census returns. He is listed as born in Cambridge, Massachusetts c1900, and on the 1930 return shows both his parents as Irish born..As well as further census searches, checks for marriage and or death certs would be the place to start as US versions of these usually show parents names. Update : WW1 Darft registration card for Owen Joseph McElearney shows his date of birth as 16 Nov 1897.

@BridBrenn- re Bernard & Ellen - where in the US did they end up, should they have been in Ireland for the 1901 census ?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

age a little out for him, but possibility for Bernard and Ellen with mother Margaret and several siblings in 1901 at Derryhallagh townland, which is in Tullycorbet civil and RC parish. (The Tullycorbet reference on the census return transcript is to the electoral district)

Mc Elerney household, Derryhallagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcelearney

Thank you @shanew. I found this thread via a google search and then spent some time on ancestory.com tracking down more of the info you found (thank you).

Advertisement