Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowing??

Options
  • 13-02-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,
    Ive just started a java developer course and I was just wondering if there is any companies out there that may let me shadow a java developer for a day or so just to see what the job would be like on a day to day basis.

Does anyone know of any companies who might do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd say you'd have to contact them and ask directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

tumo316 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Ive just started a java developer course and I was just wondering if there is any companies out there that may let me shadow a java developer for a day or so just to see what the job would be like on a day to day basis.

Does anyone know of any companies who might do this?

Thanks

I'm not a java developer but you would be very bored shadowing me for a day.
    You are likely to be looking at someone coding and responding to emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I'm not a java developer but you would be very bored shadowing me for a day.
    You are likely to be looking at someone coding and responding to emails.

At least he/she would get an idea of a working day. That it's not all head down dev, that there are meetings (more than expected most times), reading specs, writing specs, supporting team members, debugging, working with QA, the list goes on.

The one problem I see with shadowing is, why would any company allow you to shadow ? best case scenario is you will slow who ever you are shadowing down for a day (however much you think you will be just watching). There are other issues on top of this such as NDAs, security passes etc etc.

I could be wrong though, maybe a company will see it as an easy way to view potential recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Smoggy wrote: »

At least he/she would get an idea of a working day. That it's not all head down dev, that there are meetings (more than expected most times), reading specs, writing specs, supporting team members, debugging, working with QA, the list goes on.

True buts its unlikely you will get all this crammed into one day. Maybe if they were hanging about for a week they would get the full picture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Smoggy wrote: »
    He should get an idea just from this sentence, and should realise not all company atmospheres are the same anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement