Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emirates Beware

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Nhocht

castie wrote: »
    Its still their responsibility.

The customer service guys have the "we do no wrong" approach to handling issues which is leaving alot of people disgruntled.
    Its worth noting as well that with the customer service being outsourced they will not allow any direct contact with anyone from emirates.

This is what I am experiencing and it sounds like I will need to go legal with this to get any satisfaction.

Like I said previously, my biggest gripe with them is for fobbing me off without a proper hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You obviously haven't seen 1st class if your comparing them to Ryanair.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

kona wrote: »
    You obviously haven't seen 1st class if your comparing them to Ryanair.

Just because they have first class doesnt mean their post and pre sale customer service is any better for ecomony class passengers...

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Just because they have first class doesnt mean their post and pre sale customer service is any better for ecomony class passengers...

I've heard them likened to White Star Lines(who ran the Titanic) in that they give a beautiful service to the 1st Class passengers but it's fairly basic and no frills for the poor souls in steerage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I was more referring to the bitching about the quality of their product. They certainly are not comparable to Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

I would suspect that given it took some force to rip off the cover in question that the damage was done after the stroller left Emirate's hands at the gate and the damage was done by the baggage delivery roller/carousel mechanism. Have you tried comtacting their ground handling agents and/or DAA ? It might not be Emirates fault at all.

The OPs contract is with Emirates, not the various companies that Emirates hire at each airport.

markpb wrote: »
    The OPs contract is with Emirates, not the various companies that Emirates hire at each airport.

Absolutely! Anyway the damage was done somewhere along the way and probably during the transfer in DXB. The Servisair lads in Dublin were most helpful and took time to search carousel and aircraft.

However nice the first class or the aircraft might be, the experience is incomplete without proper customer service. I was very surprise to hear that Emirates as a matter of policy do not entertain claims for damage to strollers period. They were not interested in who, why, how, what. Just went straight to "no" and "goodbye"!

Good thing I logged in today. Have almost forgotten about the whole thing. I should really be submitting my claim to the small claims court before the statute of limitation kicks in.

Would appreciate any advice for doing so.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Nhocht wrote: »
    Good thing I logged in today. Have almost forgotten about the whole thing. I should really be submitting my claim to the small claims court before the statute of limitation kicks in.

Would appreciate any advice for doing so.

Thanks.

We're into the realms of the Consumer Issues forum here tbh.

Have you written to Emirates, as opposed to speaking to them in person or by phone?

If not, send a registered letter, laying out clearly and concisely the reasons for your complaint and the fact that your attempts to seek resolution have thus far been met with indifference. You can also stipulate a reasonable time frame for them to investigate the claim and reply accordingly.

The SCC should be your last resort & as your complaint is relatively recent, I'd imagine any time constraints on you pursuing a claim won't factor.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I love Emirates. Their business class is fantastic and the all round service is great.

I had a laptop damaged on a KLM flight from Manila to Amsterdam when it was in the over head compartment and just claimed off my travel insurance. Got £300 off them. Can you not claim off your travel insurance as it would be covered?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. I have tried everything with Emirates. I have spoken to them written them. The Irish agents are sympathetic by Emirates in the UK do not care at all. They basically sent me a "go away and leave us alone" letter without even bothering to look at the facts and evidence. The last communication was my letter to them which I have not received a reply to and I presume they won't at this stage.

Only option left to me is to pursue a claims through the SCC, which I intend doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

My friend's experience with the small claims court and an airline I won't name for fear of being accused of bashing it, is that they will wait until the last day possible before the court case to see if you give up/go away/expire and will then offer to settle your claim in full.

Under Irish law, a company must have legal representation in the small claims court whereas an individual doesn't have to. That is a big incentive for companies not to go to court because usually the cost of legal representation exceeds the claim cost in question. As far as I'm aware, as long as you don't appeal, costs can't be awarded against you if you lose.

josip wrote: »
    My friend's experience with the small claims court and an airline I won't name for fear of being accused of bashing it, is that they will wait until the last day possible before the court case to see if you give up/go away/expire and will then offer to settle your claim in full.

Under Irish law, a company must have legal representation in the small claims court whereas an individual doesn't have to. That is a big incentive for companies not to go to court because usually the cost of legal representation exceeds the claim cost in question. As far as I'm aware, as long as you don't appeal, costs can't be awarded against you if you lose.

Thanks for the great advice. That is what I have been told previously. Unfortunately, Emirates have left me no choice but to resort to this course of action.

Hopefully, my experience may help others who find themselves in similar situations with Emirates. Going by their policies, this should happen fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Where did you get the idea that they are a 5 star airline? Skytrax considers them a 4 star airline.
    Considering that you are talking about a stroller, do airlines consider these an item with limited liability?

You might find this interesting....

http://elliott.org/blog/case-dismissed-american-airlines-completely-destroyed-our-stroller/

Smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Moved to Travel as the thread is not Aviation or Aircraft related.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Why didn't you just claim on your travel insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nhocht wrote: »
    We flew Emirates longhaul recently. On the return flight, Emirates managed to tear off the hood on my daughters stroller and it was no where to be found. This stroller has previously been on plenty of other flights with other airlines with no issues. When I reported this to the ground staff, the reaction I got was not great. They basically told me that Emirates are not like the other airlines and will not accept any responsibility for any damage.

I decided to give Emirates the benefit of the doubt and tried contacting them. I thought a so called 5-star airline would care about their customers. First thing I found was how difficult it was to get contact details for their baggage claims department. The only contact details I found on their website are for buying tickets. I persevered and finally got a phone number and email address. I managed to submit a claim but it took numerous calls, emails and a few weeks before I was basically fobbed off. They did this without even asking me for details of the stroller or the damage done to it. So basically they did not care and only replied to get me off their back, which isn't going to happen.

Apart from shiny planes their service isn't that great anyway. We found their multinational crew very detached and uninterested.

So there, think twice before you make a decision to fly Emirates. I now consider them the longhaul Ryanair.

Did you fill out a damage claim form at the Airport ?

http://www.emirates.com/de/english/help/faqs/FAQDetails.aspx?faqCategory=214913#faq8
    What should I do if my baggage is damaged in transit?

If your baggage has been damaged in transit, you need to file a claim before you leave the airport by approaching the nearest Emirates representative or the baggage services desk. This can usually be found in the customs hall, near the baggage claim area.

If you have left the airport without filing a claim, you must contact your local Emirates office within 7 days.

Occasionally, a bag may be delayed and subsequently delivered in a damaged state. In these cases, please contact Emirates.

Same deal with KLM and most other airlines, they will not entertain claims after you leave the airport.

Yes, claim was filed in the airport. I even had a before photograph taken just before the stroller was handed over to show them the bit that was taken. They were not interested whatsoever in the damage or how it was caused. The fact that the ground staff actually warned me about that says a lot.

It is Emirates policy not to take any responsibility for strollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We few emirates because they offered cheapest rate for our route. The multi-national multi-lingual staff were all friendly and I found the aircraft one of the best we've flown in, with spacious bathrooms with moisturiser, comfortable seats and lovely food for a flight. We were happy with our experience and would fly with them again.
    On the other hand am not a fan of Ryanair and even if they offer cheaper flights I buy them from the competition.

The fact that they wash their hands off baggage claim though is very bad service. Hope the small claims court gives you the resolution to this.

Advertisement