Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Chip Question

• 13-02-2013 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

just a quick question.

I have dog tags on my dogs but one of them has a microchip as well.

Am I supposed to register him somewhere so that in the event of him ever being picked up and scanned they know he's mine.

He is registered to me on his IKC papers and has a license.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi,

just a quick question.

I have dog tags on my dogs but one of them has a microchip as well.

Am I supposed to register him somewhere so that in the event of him ever being picked up and scanned they know he's mine.

He is registered to me on his IKC papers and has a license.

Thanks.
    Yes you need to register the chip with whatever company it's with. The breeder should have given you the details which you then changeover to your info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You can register the chip with whatever company you like, for a small fee.
    The three microchip companies in Ireland are Animark, Fido, and Pet-Trace.
    I think most will tell you that Fido is by far the easiest to deal with: they've a great, interactive website, and very easy to deal with. Also, they are the first port of call for most pounds and rescue groups, because they're easy to deal with.
    That said, all Irish microchips are registered on a Europe-wide database too, so if I were to find your dog, for example, I'd scan him, stick his number into the Europe-wide database, it would tell me which of the three Irish databases the chip is registered to, and I'd then go and deal specifically with that Irish database to find out your contact details.
    I hope that makes sense!

Advertisement