Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many scans is normal to have during pregnancy?

• 14-02-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

(Originally posted the question in the Fathers Thread)

Hi,

Just wanting to get some advice from people around how many scans is normal during a pregnancy? Myself and my wife went for our first scan the other day at 15 weeks. Thankfully all is well :D The doctor we saw in the Hospital told us that there was no need for anymore scans unless my wife goes over. While this does sound like positive news (i.e. Doc thinks that all is healthy and going well) I'm getting a little worried that we should have at least another scan? Am I just being over (hyper) worried?

The Doc we saw was lovely and really set us at ease and was supportive of our choice for Home-birth. This was a welcome relief as we had been warned of potential hostility around this from the nurses and Docs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KP81

Would get weekly/daily scans from 2 wk prior. The water level started dropping for my wife and she had to be induced. Wouldn't have been caught if she hadn't insisted on ultrasound every visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

From what the Doc said we don't need to go back to the Hospital at all (unless there are complications with pregnancy/labour). Just have the appointments with the GP and the Home-birth Midwife. The Doc did say we could return at anytime if we had any concerns.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

1-2 scans is normal.

Your midwife will send you for more if she is worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

hi lang 1 scan is all ive ever had on any of mine but was given appt for babies that went late. luckily never had to have them as baby arrived before. good luck with the home birth. im due in 2 weeks and planning a home birth for first time on fifth pregnancy. hopefully all goes to plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As moonbeam said, 1-2 scans depending on the hospital. I was sent for a measuring scan at 37 weeks which I wasn't expecting at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭Guffy

Just one scan to check growth around the 20 week mark and tell you sex of baby. You can get gp to refer you for a private scan if you wish. That's what we thought we'd do but didn't bother in the end. She wanted his looks to be a surprise :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

In the coombe you get a dating scan at 11-12 weeks and an anomaly scan at 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was scanned at every appointment, with two anomaly scans at twenty and thirty four weeks. I think an anomaly scan is essential, not to find out gender but to pick up on any problems. I wouldn't have gone without one, mine picked up a potentially serious issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My hospital (NMH) only officially does a scan at 20 around weeks - this is the anomaly scan and was very thorough. However, any appointment I've been at or anytime I've had to go in with problems they use the little scan machine in the room to check baby's heartbeat and fluid. So maybe the 15 week scan is the only "official" one done by a sonographer but you will get mini ones at other appointments.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like it is not unusual for there to be only one scan. As I said there was no issues coming from the scan and the dates were spot on too. We'll link-in with the Midwife around this and see where we go. It's all becoming that bit more 'real' now that we've seen him/her on the screen :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

lang wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Seems like it is not unusual for there to be only one scan. As I said there was no issues coming from the scan and the dates were spot on too. We'll link-in with the Midwife around this and see where we go. It's all becoming that bit more 'real' now that we've seen him/her on the screen :D

The scan is brilliant, it never ceases to amaze me seeing the baby in there all comfy. Congratulations on becoming a father anyway!

There's always the option of a private scan if you ever feel the need for it, if you wanted a further anomaly scan etc.

foxy06 wrote: »
    hi lang 1 scan is all ive ever had on any of mine but was given appt for babies that went late. luckily never had to have them as baby arrived before. good luck with the home birth. im due in 2 weeks and planning a home birth for first time on fifth pregnancy. hopefully all goes to plan

seems like we've had same experience as yourself as only other date for scan is 41 weeks if overdue. Good luck with the birth in the coming days. Hope all goes well. I would be interested to hear how all involved find the experience of Home-birth. My wife is all on for it but as this is our first we are going into the unknown with everything and I am a little aprehensive about it. We've met the Midwife and she's very nice and was able to answer all the questions we had. As she said herself it is her way of making a living so she's not going to take any unnecessary chances with Mother and Baby. So that does make me feel a bit better about the birth. I love the idea that we will all be at home and will be able to do what we want, when we want. I also like the fanct that we will be together through it all and that we will all be sleeping in our own beds together the first night.

Again, I hope all goes well!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    There's always the option of a private scan if you ever feel the need for it, if you wanted a further anomaly scan etc.

Think it's something we might look at in the coming weeks, but if all's going well then there shouldn't be a need for it. We'll see... kinda just going with things at the moment... not trying to rush anything and enjoying the bump getting bigger and bigger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

lang wrote: »

seems like we've had same experience as yourself as only other date for scan is 41 weeks if overdue. Good luck with the birth in the coming days. Hope all goes well. I would be interested to hear how all involved find the experience of Home-birth. My wife is all on for it but as this is our first we are going into the unknown with everything and I am a little aprehensive about it. We've met the Midwife and she's very nice and was able to answer all the questions we had. As she said herself it is her way of making a living so she's not going to take any unnecessary chances with Mother and Baby. So that does make me feel a bit better about the birth. I love the idea that we will all be at home and will be able to do what we want, when we want. I also like the fanct that we will be together through it all and that we will all be sleeping in our own beds together the first night.

Again, I hope all goes well!

I had a home birth back in January and absolutely loved it. My first was born in hospital so I have experience :) The care you are getting is brilliant. I felt with hospital I was brushed off at every appointment. With home birth its personal. You get all your questions answered, as you said you can planned whatever way you wanted and feel comfortable, with only people present you wish to be there for you. No unnecessary interventions and better support with breastfeeding. I know few people who had there first children at home and they absolutely loved it.
    Its good to know that the hospital is there if its needed and the midwives never take chances.
    I went to hospital only for first visit at 12 weeks with scan and then at around 20 weeks for anomaly scan. That's it. Everything else was done at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

We got one scan at 13 weeks... Same this time round.

We are going private for early scan in march & prob for 3d or anomally scan later on as CUMH doesnt provide one normally.

Advertisement