Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Skype Phone

Options
  • 14-02-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey guy,

Can anybody recommend the best skype phone available to replace the house phone in my parents home. Preferably with wifi as so it can be positioned in the centre of the house and that it's cordless range is adequate for a typical rural irish bungalow so that signal isn't lost.

I've also read that skype phones from there website don't include wireless and I've also read of an issue about having to load your contacts from your computer on by your laptop!

Any input greatly appreciated, eoghan.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hi Eoghan,

Is it a skype phone in particular you want? You can't port your number to Skype, but you can port to most irish providers.

Using wifi instead of ethernet may make call quality quite weak, depending on router range, speeds etc. I would always recommend using ethernet and then beaming wirelessly.

Here's a skype phone:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000OYN67Q/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1360846104&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eoghan101

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Hi Eoghan,

Is it a skype phone in particular you want? You can't port your number to Skype, but you can port to most irish providers.

Using wifi instead of ethernet may make call quality quite weak, depending on router range, speeds etc. I would always recommend using ethernet and then beaming wirelessly.

Here's a skype phone:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000OYN67Q/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1360846104&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Can you port your irish laneline number to avoid the line rental charge? I've been looking at blueface. Their website says you can keep your number but they add on extra numbers, is that the case?
    I've been looking at them skype phones already on there website, I've three internet in the house(It's fairly reliable) so the router is positioned near the window but I want to keep the phone in the centre of the house and I can't wire it phone directly to the phone

eoghan101 wrote: »
    Can you port your irish laneline number to avoid the line rental charge? I've been looking at blueface. Their website says you can keep your number but they add on extra numbers, is that the case?
    I've been looking at them skype phones already on there website, I've three internet in the house(It's fairly reliable) so the router is positioned near the window but I want to keep the phone in the centre of the house and I can't wire it phone directly to the phone

If you port to blueface then you don't have to pay line rental. You could get an ata and have a 4 core wire going from the router in to the centre of the house, and connect a normal landline phone there.

You could go for goldfish.ie or one of those and it would cost you €2.50 + vat a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

eoghan101 wrote: »

Firstly Blueface do not use Skype .... it is a different service.

Secondly, if you are using a mobile phone provider's dongle for internet, you are unlikely to get a good phone service over the internet connection.

If you opt for a SIP service like Blueface then you can use an ordinary DECT wireless phone so you don't have to use wires.

IMO, without a better broadband connection than that provided by mobile phone operators, you will not get a good reliable phone service.

Could you post a speedtest?

I have seen some using mobile broadband with a low bandwidth codec.

Johnboy does make a good point, mobile is not definately ideal for use with SIP and skype. It is possible though if you have the speeds and low latiency(which might be a problem).

Blueface give a free 076 number with a call plan or pay as you go topup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement