Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I get boxes?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Will be getting some things I own shipped over, about 40kg - 60kg of stuff so I will need a few big sized boxes. Does anyone know where I could get a few big brown boxes in Ireland (Cork)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

WasterEx wrote: »
    Will be getting some things I own shipped over, about 40kg - 60kg of stuff so I will need a few big sized boxes. Does anyone know where I could get a few big brown boxes in Ireland (Cork)?

Any supermarkets or local shops would have them going before they recycle them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depending on what you consider big, ask wine shops/ off license- they will have nice sturdy boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Any supermarkets or local shops would have them going before they recycle them :)

Ah, cheers for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

Do you mind telling me who you are using to ship your goods? Are they going by air or sea freight?
    I've to plan the same...probably a bit more stuff than you.
    Mine will be going from Dublin so your agent may not be applicable to me, but I'm still interested to hear what you've found out re prices/transit times etc.

Thanks!

Re your boxes, offlicence boxes would usually be very small (for wine anyway) so not much use to you. Supermarket boxes would be too flimsy generally. You will want SERIOUSLY strong boxes to protect your stuff as they will most likely get a fair bit of handling.

You could try somewhere that does electrical appliances, but the easiest thing most likely is just to buy them from one of the bigger furniture removal companies or storage places, I think they sell them too. HTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

If you're looking to send through the post by An Post, I would check their website, they have some restrictions about box size and weight. I'm pretty sure you can't have more than 20kg in one box. A friend of mine moved to Canada last year and we had great fun balancing out all the boxes!

I can't find the details on the size but the weight is here:

http://postage.anpost.ie/

It's handy it gives you the price for standard post, registered post & courier. However, they do not offer insurance on anything below courier these days.

I'm sure if you contact one of the courier companies, DHL, Fedex, UPS they might handle larger boxes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Homebase sell boxes for moving/storage. They looked a decent size when I saw them but I think they were about €20 for a pack of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

When I last moved house I got those make-your-own storage boxes in argos... it was about €20 for ten and I was able to get a load of stuff in them, they were ideal! :)

Went to local supermarket and asked around for boxes, they did have boxes but they weren't any good for re-packing. They would have been good for moving around locally but deffo not abroad. Anyway I've been on a few sites and seen boxes selling from 2e - 10e each so I'll probably end up getting a few of them online. They are the double-wall boxes to so they're very strong.

Not sure what delivery service I would use tbh. DHL seem good. Don't think An Post can handle the weight and size of the packages I'll end up with. I'd deffo have them go by Air aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Went to local supermarket and asked around for boxes, they did have boxes but they weren't any good for re-packing. They would have been good for moving around locally but deffo not abroad. Anyway I've been on a few sites and seen boxes selling from 2e - 10e each so I'll probably end up getting a few of them online. They are the double-wall boxes to so they're very strong.

Not sure what delivery service I would use tbh. DHL seem good. Don't think An Post can handle the weight and size of the packages I'll end up with. I'd deffo have them go by Air aswell.

i used DHL to post from england to ireland as it was cheaper than taking it on a ryanair flight, i used a suitcase as i was posting clothes etc, i got it quick enough couple of days but the suitcase which was plastic had a couple of cracks on it.

• Advertisement

gary27 wrote: »
    i used DHL to post from england to ireland as it was cheaper than taking it on a ryanair flight, i used a suitcase as i was posting clothes etc, i got it quick enough couple of days but the suitcase which was plastic had a couple of cracks on it.

Yeah I'll make sure it's all well packaged and sealed before I send it off.
    gary27 wrote: »

Cheers man, yeah that's a really good deal! I don't need that many boxes though, think I need about 2 and one of them needs to be about 85cm wide.
    Gonna scout around on ebay and see if I can find what I'm looking for! :D

Yeah I'll make sure it's all well packaged and sealed before I send it off.

Cheers man, yeah that's a really good deal! I don't need that many boxes though, think I need about 2 and one of them needs to be about 85cm wide.
    Gonna scout around on ebay and see if I can find what I'm looking for! :D

no problem, glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Check your PM :)

Advertisement