Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Test

Options
  • 14-02-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Ok so I haven't had a cigarette in 2013, about 5 or 6 weeks. I'm 100% sold on vaping really enjoying it etc. Tonight my girlfriend who's a very light smoker and I've been trying to convert to vaping but not really suceeding bought a pack of silk cut purple after a concert.

Which brings me to my current situation. I'm going to smoke a cigarette and see what it does for me. They don't smell nice and I honestly don't have a craving or anything like that but I'm curious none the less. How far have I really come in 5-6 weeks?

Stay tuned for the results...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Ok. First off for nicotine hit I think that gave me more than chain vaping a 12mg juice would have in 7 or 8 minutes, my head is spinning, but I'm attributing that to the other sh*t that's in there.

Taste wise while it was very nostalgic it was fairly horrible at the same time. I've been smoking cigarrettes on and off since the age of 14 so that was a real eye opener, I never thought a cigarette wouldn't taste nice after a few pints.

Overall it confirmed my suspicions that vaping >> smoking cigarettes.

Glad I did it as I'm now certain that I'm not missing out on anything. I'd actually recommend doing this to anyone who's gone a similar length of time without a cigarette but is around regular smokers.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

about 3 months in for me i took a drag off my mates marlboro light, tasted like **** and didnt get much smoke off it, i really like the vapour production from vaping so i wasnt happy about that. Taste was awful and stuck in my mouth for a while.

Now i dont mind people smoking around me, i love the smell of smoking but hate the stale smell of cigarettes off people and their clothes now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I had a smoke 3 days after starting out and nearly puked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I actually struggled through the fag in a situation where I would've eaten fags before, i.e. chillling out on the couch listening to music with a drink in front of me. If ever I was going to enjoy a cigarette it was going to be in those circrumstances and I can categorically say that I did not enjoy it.

I was a day 1 convert as well, had zero trouble making the switch but I found smoking a fag just now a very worthwhile experiment. I guess you always have that nagging doubt until you try one...

Just to reiterate, vaping >> smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Took a while for me + the right device before I completely gave up on fags.

I was smoking one fag a day for about 3 months before I ran out one day and was too feckin lazy to go to the shop .. havent touched one since the start of November - honestly believe the one-a-day was sincerely just "habit"
    • Carto's + Cig Style - EPIC Fail
    • CE2 + Ego - Down to 3 or 4 a day, they broke too easy though and cost too much - Battery Was ****.
    • CE-4 + Ego - Down to 3 or 4 a day, they broke too easy though and cost too much - Battery Was ****.
    • CE-Tanker + Ego - Down to 3 or 4 a day, Rebuilt a few, Tank Discolored - Battery Was ****.
    • Ce5+ Ego - Down to 3 or 4 a day, Rebuilt a few, bought a few heads Broke 2 Tanks - Battery ****.
    • Rev3 + Ce5 - Down to 3 or 4 a day, Great Battery Live - Fantastic Vape @ 5v, Tanks Broke though
    • Rev3 + DID Genesis - Down to one a day - Rev3 Broke after it fell off the table :( Boooo
    • Telescope SS Full mech + Genesis - No fiddling every 10 mins, battery is great, vape is great

The DID is Worn out, tastes ick if not cleaned every day and being replaced in a few days ... Chromed Genesis or Atty is 100% NOT WORTH IT.

Anyhoo .. Congrats to all those who kicked - pisses me off I could have bought a Provari + Top notch genesis many MANY times over with the amount I spent "figuring things out".

and Yep - the Cloud of vapor you get from vaping is a million times more satisfying than the smoke from a fag IMHO :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Just too embarrassing to leave up

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

I had a drag off a rollie a couple of weeks after starting vaping outside the pub and it tasted gross. Few months later on new years eve I had one drag of a tailor made ciggie while madoutuvit and that one drag was good enough to make me realise my vaping device wasn't cutting it any more. So I ordered a vamo and a genesis atomiser and a killer and a load of new juices. Reckon the vamo was a bit of a waste as the thing weight a metric tonne and isn't easy to hold onto constantly like my ego twist is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I think risking it is a dangerous road......

Last summer when I was about 6 months vaping I started to struggle a bit. The usual things.....devices, juice etc not working and I broke my RDA on top of it all.....saw a real hot girl loving a cig on a summers day relaxing and my cravings went through the roof!!

Gave in one day just to see what a real one was like and it tasted foul, no vapour etc and chucked it. Couple of hours later I got another hankering and gave in again and had a few drags. Tasted foul.....but not quite as foul......happened again the next day and it began to taste not so bad....

Over the 2 days I probably smoked a total of 1 fag but I really had to dig right back in to where I was when I started all over again. I did that but it opened my eyes to never give in to the temptation. You'll end up right back where you started.....or at least that's my feeling on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

saw a real hot girl loving a cig on a summers day relaxing.
    **** it I must have missed that day, or been in bed after a night shift.
    Touch wood I have never once wanted to or been tempted to put a fag in my mouth since day one, never came off them slowly just May 20th never smoked again. Now I cant even stand the smell of them and the horrible smell off peoples breath is brutal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

only time I get a craving for a cig is when someone lights up in a movie i'm watching. bastard actors

• Advertisement

Yeah, for me it's hot girls having one by a pool or something that seems to set it off......

I suppose all I'm saying really though is that they taste rank but I'd say they could draw you back in very quickly....I vape 9mg too so a couple of puffs from a Carrols would give me a damn good hit and a lot more rush than 9mg juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Up the nicage!

The only thing that's ever gotten me that nicced buzz the way vaping does is a nice Cuban cigar a friend brought back from his travels.
    I was absolutely floored, and that was just flavour-inhales! Luckily I was drunk at the time so I didn't seem unreasonably handicapped after it. But I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i absolutely gag at the smell of fag smoke now. make me sick to the pit of my stomach like if you read in the car. bleuuurgggh.

the last night i was out with a mate who smokes, she asked me to hold her cigarette when she was searching in her bag for her phone and ... i kinda forgot how to hold it :confused: i'm on some deep level a bit :( that she won't even try vaping but sher what can ya do. she's started to smoke less around me i notice, so i think at least she's finally accepted that what i'm doing isn't smoking and i'm an ex-smoker. that something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

she asked me to hold her cigarette when she was searching in her bag for her phone and ... i kinda forgot how to hold it

Less fun when you are used to a bottom firing mod .. hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Sister bought me a riva kit way back for Christmas 2010, she quit smoking by vaping and now she doesnt even vape!!! Anyhow, I tried the kit, was impressed, but was not ready to quit fags, kit stayed in my drawer for a year.
    November 2011 a good freind of mine died from smoking and it got me thinking again about quitting. New years day 2012 I pulled out the kit and I havent looked back since, well actually I have cause I would smoke a few "fags" (if you know what I mean) just to "relax".
    I vaped 510 attys for the first 5 months and loved them, then changed to carts on a lavatube and absolutely fell in love. Then discovered tanks and thats where I am now, might go down the rebuildable route soon but tbh I get everything I need from a cart, great flavour, th and vapour. Im sure the flavour is way better with a mesh wick but tbh I can do without the hassle of learning the set up right now. Have tried various clearos, atty tanks, smokeymizers, etc. but I always end back on carts.
    I try to keep my vaping as cheap as possible(that was the second reason I gave up) so I dont go mad buying devices, etc. Got a box full of ego and riva batteries, lavatube, vamo, a few tanks, a s*** load of carts, tons of cheapish juice(that I love) and thats it. Would love a sexy mech mod but I would have to carry a multimeter with me;-)
    Worked out from receipts that I spent €750 last year all in including juice, sounds alot but I would have spent almost €4000 on fags.
    So all in all I have saved my lungs and my pocket!!!:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you can just say joints, we're not the police

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Sister bought me a riva kit way back for Christmas 2010, she quit smoking by vaping and now she doesnt even vape!!! Anyhow, I tried the kit, was impressed, but was not ready to quit fags, kit stayed in my drawer for a year.
    November 2011 a good freind of mine died from smoking and it got me thinking again about quitting. New years day 2012 I pulled out the kit and I havent looked back since, well actually I have cause I would smoke a few "fags" (if you know what I mean) just to "relax".
    I vaped 510 attys for the first 5 months and loved them, then changed to carts on a lavatube and absolutely fell in love. Then discovered tanks and thats where I am now, might go down the rebuildable route soon but tbh I get everything I need from a cart, great flavour, th and vapour. Im sure the flavour is way better with a mesh wick but tbh I can do without the hassle of learning the set up right now. Have tried various clearos, atty tanks, smokeymizers, etc. but I always end back on carts.
    I try to keep my vaping as cheap as possible(that was the second reason I gave up) so I dont go mad buying devices, etc. Got a box full of ego and riva batteries, lavatube, vamo, a few tanks, a s*** load of carts, tons of cheapish juice(that I love) and thats it. Would love a sexy mech mod but I would have to carry a multimeter with me;-)
    Worked out from receipts that I spent €750 last year all in including juice, sounds alot but I would have spent almost €4000 on fags.
    So all in all I have saved my lungs and my pocket!!!:-)
    Fair play man,if you're getting into rebuildables I find mesh is better for heavier tobacco juices and such and silica is better for sweet flavours.

Silica scares me, always got a burnt rubbery taste of it in clearos, vivi nova and now my e vod, I presume its the same stuff as used in rebuildables, find I cant chain vape with it.
    Sir, whats a joint???;-)

Don't be put off by that taste from clearo's, Nova's and stuff. I'm the same.

Si in a rebuildable is nothing like that taste. Those clearo's and Nova's are horrible for me too. Plastic taste.

Actually im waiting for them to bring out a premade oxadised mesh and coil:-) im sure its gonna happen soon, if vaping has any chance of overtaking smoking it has to. All smokers cant be expected to have to build their own coils and wicks.

• Advertisement

Actually im waiting for them to bring out a premade oxadised mesh and coil:-) im sure its gonna happen soon, if vaping has any chance of overtaking smoking it has to. All smokers cant be expected to have to build their own coils and wicks.
    I could send you on a few oxidised wicks if you'd like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pre-made silica coils & wicks are happening already.
    Mesh is too sensitive to be pre-made hassle-free.
    Most cartos already use silica as well. Bottom-coils are set-up just like a standard clearo and the vertical coils are stuck to a silica tube.
    The burnt, plasticky, rubberry taste from a clearo is from burnt plasticky rubber.

If ceramic mesh ever takes off and gets mass produced, that'll be the ticket. All our dreams will come to pass.

If that doesn't happen, maybe we could have little stalls in shopping centres where the vaping equivalent of a cobbler makes the wick and coil to spec in 10-20 mins and costs €5-10?
    Not a bad price for a setup that's not gonna need changing for a few weeks at least.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I could send you on a few oxidised wicks if you'd like?
    Thanks pmc, thats really sound of ya but tbh im good with my cartos atm, if I start rebuilding I will have plenty of questions for ya!!

grindle wrote: »

Pre-made silica coils & wicks are happening already.
    Mesh is too sensitive to be pre-made hassle-free.
    Most cartos already use silica as well. Bottom-coils are set-up just like a standard clearo and the vertical coils are stuck to a silica tube.
    The burnt, plasticky, rubberry taste from a clearo is from burnt plasticky rubber.

If ceramic mesh ever takes off and gets mass produced, that'll be the ticket. All our dreams will come to pass.

If that doesn't happen, maybe we could have little stalls in shopping centres where the vaping equivalent of a cobbler makes the wick and coil to spec in 10-20 mins and costs €5-10?
    Not a bad price for a setup that's not gonna need changing for a few weeks at least.
    I meant mesh wicks, from what I can gather ceramic wicks are very delicate and can be broken easily. The cobbler thing is a good idea but you would need one in every town in the land. What im talking about is something that a virgin vapor can pick up and get perfect vapour, th and flavour straight away without any hassle, wishful thinking I know but look how much vaping has come on in the last year or 2 so you never know. Then again this all depends on this stupid f****** proposed juice ban!!!

Advertisement