Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Handbag Exchange [Solved]

Options
  • 14-02-2013 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

I can't find a similar thread so starting a new one.
    [UPDATED]
    My sister in law gave my mother a gift of a handbag with tags still on it and the price removed at Christmas saying she could exchange it if she didn't like it. When she brought it in after New Years they said "we don't accept exchanges on accessories, it's written on you receipt", we don't have the receipt and it doesn't say on the website either.
    Are they allowed to pick and choose what you're allowed to return? They accept clothing returns but not handbags [answered below - thanks!]
    I've never heard of something like this before.
    Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

They don't have to take anything back. Also, if they had a policy for exchanges you would bet that it was 28 days limit after purchase, Christmas was nearly 2 months ago at this stage, the fact you've only gone back now is taken the mick. The fact that you don't have a receipt weakens your argument further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Zhane wrote: »
    They don't have to take anything back. Also, if they had a policy for exchanges you would bet that it was 28 days limit after purchase, Christmas was nearly 2 months ago at this stage, the fact you've only gone back now is taken the mick. The fact that you don't have a receipt weakens your argument further.
    We had tried after New Year to return it (forgot to mention), I just wanted to know were they allowed to only take returns on certain items. Thanks for the answer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Why did your sister-in-law say that the bag could be exchanged? She might have been mistaken, but it is possible that she had an agreement with whoever sold the bag to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Of course they are, do you want do buy knickers, earrings and tights after someone has worn them and got a refund? Hairbands and hair accessories are the 'acessories' items they would have an issue with, looks like they have a blanket ban though.

Nobody is entitled to a goodwill refund or exchange. Especially without a receipt. You may not think it, but they all have issues with people bringing back robbed stock for refunds, and plenty of shops sell the same stock so they need to know it's definitely theirs.

do you want do buy knickers, earrings and tights after someone has worn them and got a refund? Nobody is entitled to a goodwill refund or exchange. Especially without a receipt.
    I don't expect to be able to return anything where there's hygiene issues with knickers, tights, ect that wouldn't be the same as a bag. I've exchanged with tags and no receipt before to several shops, which is why I asked in the first place, I've never heard of no exchanges on handbags - and know I know (and knowing is half the battle)
    plenty of shops sell the same stock so they need to know it's definitely theirs.
    It still has the tags (which I've realized I've left out of the OP, will edit it but I guess it wouldn't matter) from the shop so they know it's theirs but I am aware of people stealing things to bring them back.
    Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement

Why did your sister-in-law say that the bag could be exchanged?
    I would assume she thought the same as me and never heard of not being able to exchange a handbag with tags, I've done it before just not in that shop. Perhaps the returns policy may have changed between her buying the bag and January, honestly have no idea, but I got my answer so am happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Sera wrote: »
    I don't expect to be able to return anything where there's hygiene issues with knickers, tights, ect that wouldn't be the same as a bag. I've exchanged with tags and no receipt before to several shops, which is why I asked in the first place, I've never heard of no exchanges on handbags - and know I know (and knowing is half the battle)
    It still has the tags (which I've realized I've left out of the OP, will edit it but I guess it wouldn't matter) from the shop so they know it's theirs but I am aware of people stealing things to bring them back.
    Thanks for the reply

That was moreso directed at your question about whether shops are allowed exclude items from their policy. I know you don't have the receipt but exceptions are printed on them. I agree the bag would be an unusual item to exclude, they must just be blanket banning accessories because of hair ands etc.

If the bag was branded there would often be no indication of what shop it was bought in. That's more of a general thing too about the importance of receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Stores here have a lot to learn from the U.S. A friend of mine works in the states 2 weeks in 4, and buys stuff on a whim knowing that there will be no issue returning it if she decides she doesn't like it the next day ! This attitude promotes good will and continued loyalty to a store. As long as you have a receipt for the purchase (barring underwear for obvious reasons) then there isn't an issue.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the item is faulty or defective, then the shop have to offer you a refund, replacement or repair.

When it's a change of mind scenario, it's completely at the shop's discretion. They can refuse to exchange anything, or only exchange some items. They can impose time limits or other conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ZENER wrote: »
    Stores here have a lot to learn from the U.S. A friend of mine works in the states 2 weeks in 4, and buys stuff on a whim knowing that there will be no issue returning it if she decides she doesn't like it the next day ! This attitude promotes good will and continued loyalty to a store. As long as you have a receipt for the purchase (barring underwear for obvious reasons) then there isn't an issue.

Ken

And in fairness the US Stores could learn a lot from European stores with regard to payment security.

I signed one bill 'Mickey Mouse' and they didn't bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement