Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Leasehold Question

Options
  • 14-02-2013 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Long Leasehold. The property is held on a long lease for a term of 999 years from 1st June 1997 (thus having approximately 984 years unexpired) at a current ground rent of €1 per annum.

Can someone tell me how this works exactly? You never officially own the property I presume, but who pays any property taxes and repairs any damage as are you technically only a tenant? I presume not or the rent would be a lot higher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leasehold_estate

Where the lease is longer than 20 years, the tenant will be responsible for paying the property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

thebuzz wrote: »

Can someone tell me how this works exactly? You never officially own the property I presume, but who pays any property taxes and repairs any damage as are you technically only a tenant? I presume not or the rent would be a lot higher.
    You can buy the freehold out. Of course you are responsible for repairs and damage. The vast majority of our older housing, Victorian and Georgian have leases like this.

Advertisement