Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there standard/expectation for a staff room.

Options
  • 14-02-2013 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

No idea if this is the correct place to post this, if not, please do move it.

I'm looking for a little information.
    I work in health care and my position involves doing shift work, as well as sleep overs. Now, we do have an allocated staff/sleep over room, which doubles as many other things, and it seems is now being used as a office during the day.
    So, just wondering, are staff entitled to have a room that is designated solely for the use of staff who are sleeping over, they do a dull shift prior to sleeping and are back on the floor again the following morning, so should we have a room that allows for, when possible, a staff to have a decent night sleep, frequently this doesn't happen due to being needed on the floor.
    Can anyone tell me, if there is an outline of requirements of this someplace???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Neadine wrote: »

I work in health care and my position involves doing shift work, as well as sleep overs. Now, we do have an allocated staff/sleep over room, which doubles as many other things, and it seems is now being used as a office during the day.
    So, just wondering, are staff entitled to have a room that is designated solely for the use of staff who are sleeping over, they do a dull shift prior to sleeping and are back on the floor again the following morning, so should we have a room that allows for, when possible, a staff to have a decent night sleep, frequently this doesn't happen due to being needed on the floor.

Is the issue it is used by others during the day? There is a designated room there. I am confused by your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Boombastic wrote: »
    Is the issue it is used by others during the day? There is a designated room there. I am confused by your question.

The concern isn't so much that it is being used during the day, and more what it is being used for.
    General staff do not have a place to go for breaks and stuff during the day. This room is being used as an office and also as a store room, so there are boxes stacked around the room and who knows what else is in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Neadine wrote: »

The 2005 Health & Safety Act puts an obligation on employers to provide & maintain facilities for the well-being of the employees welfare, to paraphrase the above Act. However read and make yourself aware of the Act, as under H&S at work You also have obligations.

As someone who was a H&S rep in another time, I am sure that I could make a forceful argument that would not allow for a rest space to double as an office, regardless of it being day or night.

Secondly, with regard to getting proper rest periods, there are many different agreements covering many different employments, however the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 covers these.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/index.html
    or else get in touch with NERA.

As an aside, although the Unions do have some questions to answer regarding their recent past history, it should always be remembered that most if not all of this employment protection would not be in existence were it not for the same Unions, a point that is often too easily forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    The 2005 Health & Safety Act puts an obligation on employers to provide & maintain facilities for the well-being of the employees welfare, to paraphrase the above Act. However read and make yourself aware of the Act, as under H&S at work You also have obligations.

As someone who was a H&S rep in another time, I am sure that I could make a forceful argument that would not allow for a rest space to double as an office, regardless of it being day or night.

Secondly, with regard to getting proper rest periods, there are many different agreements covering many different employments, however the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 covers these.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/index.html
    or else get in touch with NERA.

As an aside, although the Unions do have some questions to answer regarding their recent past history, it should always be remembered that most if not all of this employment protection would not be in existence were it not for the same Unions, a point that is often too easily forgotten.

Thanks so much, that is pretty much the information I was looking for but wasn't really sure where to find it. Really appreciate your help.

Advertisement