Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

to be fair

someone who seems to be so paranoid and afraid of burglaries would NOT go to bed with a balcony open, and windows open. They would have alarms on, and the place secured.

just because this guy comes from a "good" family does not mean you have to go on what his highly paid defense is saying.

If it were somebody more run of the mill, I;m sure you would be calling for his hanging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Was his balcony open? then why was he getting a fan for? :confused:

robinph wrote: »
    Nope, it is being argued that it wasn't pre-meditated murder.

Nobody is saying that he didn't kill her, and I don't think anybody is saying that he shouldn't be punished.

lol - his defense team are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    He will get away with a light sentence in regard to the crime committed.

Which crime is that now? Surely he'll be given an appropriate sentence for whatever crime he committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

tigger123 wrote: »
    In fairness, that's a fair bit of speculation on your part. What's taken place thus far is a bail hearing, not the actual trial, combined with statements from the families and leaks from the police. Surely the full case has yet to be heard.

Did you read the live tweets from the court today ? The police witness was caught out on numerous points.
    to be fair

someone who seems to be so paranoid and afraid of burglaries would NOT go to bed with a balcony open, and windows open. They would have alarms on, and the place secured.

just because this guy comes from a "good" family does not mean you have to go on what his highly paid defense is saying.

If it were somebody more run of the mill, I;m sure you would be calling for his hanging.

Thats not being fair - thats you projecting your thought processes onto us. We are arguing the evidence - you are the one calling for blood based on circumstance

• Advertisement

lol - his defense team are.

No they aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

ollie1 wrote: »

Do you know how hot and humid it can get in that part of the world? An open window can be completely ineffictive at times.

I can understand a little cynicism but I think this just picking holes where there are none.

No they aren't
    watch and learn they will go for accidental death, with a suspended sentence. and probably will get it too because of who he is. its called justice for the rich.

it won't be so easy to turn back time for the girl he killed tho. she's gone - no second chance for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

to be fair

Pure speculation here but...
    He's probably never been attacked (or had his home attacked) before and therefore leaves the balcony open. Is the window on an upper floor? Only on hearing the sounds did he fear that someone had broken in and given the stories of what goes on in SA, panic quickly set in. As I said, this is speculation and is just one possible explanation.
    ollie1 wrote: »

Speculating again but, I've been in hot/humid countries before. Leaving the window/balcony open only does so much for the heat at night. Nothing like a fan to cool you down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I really don't know what to make of this tbh.

On the one hand it does seem a bit far fetched to think that he could have mistaken his girlfriend for a burgaler or missed that she was not in bed with him.

But then we are all looking at this from the point of view of people living in a country where feeling safe in your own home is probably taken a bit for granted.

From stories I have heard you are not safe in your own bed in some places in South Africa. My great uncle tells me that you could be carjacked as you sit at traffic lights. They will simply walk up to you, shoot you and take the car. A guy in work who was born and reared there says some of his friends have bars across their bedroom doors to prevent intruders getting in and many of them have weapons in the house.

So in another way it doesn't seem completely off base to imagine that if Pistorius woke in the middle of the night in the pitch dark, living where he lived and heard some-one moving around he could have made a tragic mistake.

So it's a hard one to call.

His claim is that he was terrified of being the victim of violent crime and that he reacted the way he did because of that fear. For someone with such a fear it seems he had no problem going out on his balcony in the middle of the night with no alarm on and without his legs on and with ladders outside for any would be intruders to use! Sorry but his story makes no sense on alot of levels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

namloc1980 wrote: »
    His claim is that he was terrified of being the victim of violent crime and that he reacted the way he did because of that fear. For someone with such a fear it seems he had no problem going out on his balcony in the middle of the night with no alarm on and without his legs on and with ladders outside for any would be intruders to use! Sorry but his story makes no sense on alot of levels.

Well until he had heard the noise from the bathroom he had no reason to be scared that night. Unexplained noise, not aware of girlfriend having got out of bed, possibly means there is an intruder.

i agree - anyone with common sense would see the holes in what is being said. anyone who feared for their safety/life would NOT be leaving their houses wide open in the middle of the night. even if it IS in a gated posh community with security. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

it's not beyond the realms of possibility, although a bit of a strange story. My husband regularly wakes up screaming because he thinks there are people in the house, if you were still disoriented for whatever reason I reckon it could happen.

Still mad though.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    it's not beyond the realms of possibility, although a bit of a strange story. My husband regularly wakes up screaming because he thinks there are people in the house, if you were still disoriented for whatever reason I reckon it could happen.

Still mad though.

I'd move. i wouldn't trust him an inch. God knows what he might do one of these nights by accident. :D

As I and others have said there is no possible way you can predict how some-one will react in this kind of situation. Nor can you tell some-one how they should react. In the heat of the moment all bets are off.

The most calm and sane person could lose their mind. Some-one utterly terrified of everything could have a surge of adrenalin and suddenly become a hero. You just don't know.

Judging or convicting some-one based on what you think they should have done or what you would have done is ludocris and unreasonable and thankfully not admissable in court.

Well until he had heard the noise from the bathroom he had no reason to be scared that night. Unexplained noise, not aware of girlfriend having got out of bed, possibly means there is an intruder.

No sorry it makes no sense for him to do what he did and then claim he has always had a fear of being a crime victim.

No sorry it makes no sense for him to do what he did and then claim he has always had a fear of being a crime victim.

Have you ever been afraid for your life ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Jesus the coppers are useless. The investigating officer arrested Pistorius in 2009 for assault. Charges were dropped and Pistorius is currently suing them for wrongful arrest and false claims. Gives scope for defence to claim he has a personal vendetta against Pistorius.

Which bright spark at SAPS decided this guy was the right person to lead the investigation?

As I and others have said there is no possibly you can predict how some-one will react in this kind of situation.

The most calm and sane person could lose their mind. Some utterly terrified could have a surge of adrenalin and suddenly become a
    hero. You just don't know.

Judging or convicting some-one based on what you think they should have done or what you would have done is ludocris and unreasonable and thankfully not admissable in court.

It's his primary defense that he had an overwhelming fear of crime yet he left his balcony open, had no alarm on, went out without legs on, had ladders up against his house,didn't check for the safety of his loved one. All of this is his own admission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'd move. i wouldn't trust him an inch. God knows what he might do one of these nights by accident. :D

It is terrifying - sometimes he leaps out of bed or sometimes he thinks there's spiders all over him and starts batting them away, he gave me a slap once.

The worst part of it all is he goes back to sleep straight away and I'm lying there for hours scared ****less!

Better make sure he never gets a gun!

• Advertisement

It's his primary defense that he had an overwhelming fear of crime yet he left his balcony open, had no alarm on, went out without legs on, had ladders up against his house,didn't check for the safety of his loved one. All of this is his own admission.

Perhaps he thought the compound he was living had enough security that he didn't to lock the window etc.

Again we can't pass judgement based on what we believe is the right course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Rascasse wrote: »
    Jesus the coppers are useless. The investigating officer arrested Pistorius in 2009 for assault. Charges were dropped and Pistorius is currently suing them for wrongful arrest and false claims. Gives scope for defence to claim he has a personal vendetta against Pistorius.

Which bright spark at SAPS decided this guy was the right person to lead the investigation?

it keeps getting better for my prediction... :rolleyes:

any link to that information btw?

davet82 wrote: »
    it keeps getting better for my prediction... :rolleyes:

any link to that information btw?

12.35 here, or scroll through the tweets here.

Perhaps he thought the compound he was living had enough security that he didn't to lock the window etc.

Again we can't pass judgement based on what we believe is the right course of action.

Its his primary defense! If he can't be judged on that might as well leave him off free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It's South Africa. In some upscale parts you can't even get home insurance without having security cameras and registering with a private security firm. And 15ft walls around your house with barbed wire are more common than not.

In other words; fear of being victimised isn't all that uncommon.

Rascasse wrote: »
    12.35 here, or scroll through the tweets here.

at 12.05:
    12.05 The police admit that a spent bullet cartridge, found in the toilet bowl, was missed by their officers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Its his primary defense! If he can't be judged on that might as well leave him off free!

No, his defence is that he thought it was an intruder.

No it's not. His primary defense is that he thought there was an intruder in the house.

His reaction is secondary.

• Advertisement

There is a copy of the floorplan on the article here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21514428

Seachmall wrote: »
    It's South Africa. In some upscale parts you can't even get home insurance without having security cameras and registering with a private security firm. And 15ft walls around your house with barbed wire are more common than not.

In other words; fear of being victimised isn't all that uncommon.

So why leave his balcony open, no alarm on, ladders outside, go out without legs on etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Has bladegunner figured out how he will avoid becomming someones biatch in jail for the next several years then?

He should be more worried about that now,than keeping on with this..."I thought it was a thief" act.

Did he get acting lessons from Enda Kennys coach??

Hes completely fcuked and hasnt got a hope of getting away with it.

Wonder if he does get bail....would he try to do a runner??

Or possibly try to take his own life perhaps??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So why leave his balcony open, no alarm on, ladders outside, go out without legs on etc?

He may have felt that the balcony was secure. If it hangs off the side of the building, then there's no feasibly way of climbing onto it without grappling hook or something.

He was in his house in a secured complex in summer with his girlfriend in the house with him, why wouldn't he do any of those things. Nothing strange at all about any of that.

However, when he gets out of bed to move the fan, leaving girlfriend asleep in bed he then hears a sound in the next room. Now it couldn't be the girlfriend as she's asleep in bed, so therefore someone could have got in through the window that he had just closed, or the other open window in the bathroom. Panic ensues and then all logic goes out that open window as far as claims of what would be the logical course of action.

None of that is proof of his claims, but why is it so hard for people to grasp that the story fits.

What doesn't fit in any way is a claim by the prosecution that it was pre-meditated. They could possibly argue a case around an argument having gone wrong, but not sure that I'd buy the idea of her hiding in the loo if she was trying to get away from him.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Has bladegunner figured out how he will avoid becomming someones biatch in jail for the next several years then?

He should be more worried about that now,than keeping on with this..."I thought it was a thief" act.

Did he get acting lessons from Enda Kennys coach??

Hes completely fcuked and hasnt got a hope of getting away with it.

Wonder if he does get bail....would he try to do a runner??

Or possibly try to take his own life perhaps??
    Have you paid attention to any of the court proceedings so far?

• Advertisement

What doesn't fit in any way is a claim by the prosecution that it was pre-meditated. They could possibly argue a case around an argument having gone wrong, but not sure that I'd buy the idea of her hiding in the loo if she was trying to get away from him.

Particularly not given the empty bladder at autopsy - what she was running away in fear and just decided to sit down and take a pee ?!? Makes no sense

Have you paid attention to any of the court proceedings so far?

Yep watching a good bit of it on Sky News.

The chief prossecutor seems to think he is acting and he is guilty of murder.

Needles and steroids aswell.

Not looking good for mr golden legs at the moment.

Particularly not given the empty bladder at autopsy - what she was running away in fear and just decided to sit down and take a pee ?!? Makes no sense

Oscar Pistorius should hire you, you nearly have me convinced :p

an empty bladder - unusual if you spent the whole night in bed asleep. a bit more unusual if you were up all night shouting.

the prosecution I hope, are just biding time until the oust this guy for what he is. They seem to be extremely lax at the minute.

the guy is guilty as sin. let's see what SA justice is like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Empty bladders are not unusual in really scared people...

• Advertisement

Thats stike two :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Well that is his job.
    He's an athlete, surely nobody's surprised by this?
    The Guardian summary reads like the defense are demolishing the prosecution. The cops seem to be coming out of it like bumbling buffoons.
    But you'd expect to find pee on the floor or on them, you wouldn't expect someone to sit down on the toilet while a gunman waits patiently outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

the guy is guilty as sin.
    You seem fairly certain of that. Why aren't you down there assisting the prosecution with your evidence?

Yep watching a good bit of it on Sky News.

You clearly missed the bit where he corrected himself seconds later and said testosterone, and then had to admit again later that he didn't actually read what the drug was and that it was actually a herbal remedy and in no way any kind of illegal or performance enhancing drug.

The investigating officer seems to be an incompetent fool.

davet82 wrote: »
    Thats stike two :D

very true David. and of course the prosecution would know this too - which makes me wonder why they are rolling over at this point. It could be a tactic on their part to feign defeat now which buys them time to prove what happened.

A wet floor or clothes would be in that case though.

on a serious note, there would be evidence of what you are suggesting i suspect

seamus wrote: »
    You seem fairly certain of that. Why aren't you down there assisting the prosecution with your evidence?

are you saying he's not guilty? The dogs on the street knows he's guilty as sin. the only thing that is bothering him and his team now are how to come up with a story that will get him off.

the guy is guilty as sin.

How do you know that ? What are you basing that judgement on ?

The police officer in charge himself admitted on cross examination that this was consistent with just having gone to the toilet. He did not say 'oh well we found a puddle of pee on the floor'

You clearly missed the bit where he corrected himself seconds later and said testosterone, and then had to admit again later that he didn't actually read what the drug was and that it was actually a herbal remedy and in no way any kind of illegal or performance enhancing drug.

The investigating officer seems to be an incompetent fool.

And bladegunner????:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement