Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The judge's assertion that he couldn't have "foreseen" the person behind the door being killed still beggars belief, but now that he's been found guilty of culpable homicide, I hope he gets a lengthy prison term.

Totally agree with ya. It's a joke.

I don't think he will see a day in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

snubbleste wrote: »
    Who is Mr Fresco?

Al?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Poor Chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robinph wrote: »
    Missed what was going on earlier. Did he get off the illegal ammo? That is surprising.

The other verdicts have gone as I'd expected by the look of things.
    Yeah, I missed her reading the details of the judgement, but he was acquitted of that charge. The State obviously overlooked something. I would have thought they'd be meticulous about that one as a "consolation prize" if the murder charge didn't go through as it potentially carries a lot of jail time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was a bit confused about that. She said that for the murder charge, but did she not say the opposite when she was going through the reasonable man part for manslaughter? Or did I pick that up wrong?

I've only seen text updates so didn't hear the "reasonable man" part, but it does also seem at odds with talk of negligence and the small cramped toilet cubicle, which suggests there was nowhere else for the victim to be behind the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Sky saying it could be another 6 weeks before sentencing, to allow court supervision applications to be processed if a non-custodial sentence is passed.

He's going to get away with this! That poor girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was a bit confused about that. She said that for the murder charge, but did she not say the opposite when she was going through the reasonable man part for manslaughter? Or did I pick that up wrong?
    The difference between murder, manslaughter and accident is ridiculously subtle.

Murder is firing with the intent to kill. That is, shooting through the door with the intention of killing the person behind it. You can make the argument that you don't shoot through a door without intending to kill what's behind it, but that's kind of moot. You need to prove that the accused had this intention, you can't infer intent from your own opinion.

Manslaughter is when a "reasonable man" would be able to realise that their actions would or could result in death, but without intending to cause death went ahead with them anyway. In other words, it's negligence causing death, where death is a reasonably forseeable end result of that negligence.
    That's the "reasonable man" test.

Accident is where a "reasonable man" would not think that their actions could result in death, and without intending to cause death, went ahead with them. Like giving peanut butter to a child you don't know has an acute peanut allergy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, I missed her reading the details of the judgement, but he was acquitted of that charge. The State obviously overlooked something. I would have thought they'd be meticulous about that one as a "consolation prize" if the murder charge didn't go through as it potentially carries a lot of jail time.

Maybe that his dad never gave evidence was actually in the defences favour on this charge, as that then made it impossible for the prosecution to prove that he wasn't looking after the ammo legally. Must be some technicality hidden in the depths of that particular firearms law that the prosecution didn't check up on.

That is a big miss for Nel as it was surely the easiest charge to nail down after the restaurant shooting incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The sentencing could be a mini-trial with possib of runner being called to give evidence again and maybe Steenkamp family

This never ends.

Why even bother with the sentencing now. Just let him off, that's all that would happen at the end of it anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

This is a disgrace, it's looking like he won't see the inside of a prison. How could they not prove he had illegal ammunition in his house........ when there was illegal ammunition in his house?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

NickD wrote: »
    This is a disgrace, it's looking like he won't see the inside of a prison. How could they not prove he had illegal ammunition in his house........ when there was illegal ammunition in his house?!?

His grandad owns a diamond mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Maybe that his dad never gave evidence was actually in the defences favour on this charge, as that then made it impossible for the prosecution to prove that he wasn't looking after the ammo legally. Must be some technicality hidden in the depths of that particular firearms law that the prosecution didn't check up on.

That is a big miss for Nel as it was surely the easiest charge to nail down after the restaurant shooting incident.
    I was a bit confused over her reasoning on that one as she was referring to an armed robbery case. The long & short of it was that the state failed to prove that it was OP's intention to possess the ammunition & that the fact that his father refused to confirm that it was his in itself wasn't a good enough reason to convict on that charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

Tigger wrote: »
    His grandad owns a diamond mine

Of course, I forgot!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nel is struggling to come up with reasons for custody before sentencing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Nel is struggling to come up with reasons for custody before sentencing now.

It's was a bit hard to watch :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

sadie06 wrote: »
    He's going to get away with this! That poor girl.

It looks possible that he won't see the inside of a prison. I am shocked, I have to say.
    NickD wrote: »
    How could they not prove he had illegal ammunition in his house........ when there was illegal ammunition in his house?!?

By overlooking a minor detail when making their case. Back again at 12.30.

Well now we all know his address if we want to send him a congratulations card…..or a valentine's card!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

So if you want to off your partner take them to south africa,

Is a blindfold and a shotgun ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

eeepaulo wrote: »
    So if you want to off your partner take them to south africa,

Is a blindfold and a shotgun ok?
    Bad advice - that would be premeditated murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Is this blonde lady annoying anyone else? Annika I think her name is.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

May i ask a stupid question?

Obviously this trial is high profile as Oscar is famous etc.

If this was a normal trial with a normal person who wasn't in the limelight then would it of took as long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Well now we all know his address if we want to send him a congratulations card…..or a valentine's card!

Yeah i was wondering why the judge didn't stop that being called out for all to hear, like surely its in the files or whatever so no need to announce it to the world

Tasden wrote: »
    Yeah i was wondering why the judge didn't stop that being called out for all to hear, like surely its in the files or whatever so no need to announce it to the world

I presumed we were on a ten second time delay and that would be blocked out. A bit strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This also happens here. If you are convicted, your address is read out in court and it is in the newspaper as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Because he has been convicted. It's the same here. Take a look at the paper and you will see Joe Bloggs of *address* or Joe Bloggs of no fixed abode, if the person has no abode.

Berserker wrote: »
    Because he has been convicted. It's the same here. Take a look at the paper and you will see Joe Bloggs of *address* or Joe Bloggs of no fixed abode, if the person has no abode.

Yes, but most people don't give a **** about Joe Bloggs. His uncle's postman is going to have a busy year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Killed her by mistake ???

yeah sure ...

"I'm just gonna ASSUME it's an intruder behind the door and fire away - I won't bother checking if my girlfriend is asleep in bed"

Absolute bs.

Guy is a murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Yes, but most people don't give a **** about Joe Bloggs. His uncle's postman is going to have a busy year!

Yeah this is what my thought was, like the media attention has been commented on by her a number of times so I would've thought she wouldn't have allowed it. But yeah i hadn't really considered that it is the done thing anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

the_monkey wrote: »
    Guy is a murderer.

At least you now have the option of sending him a "nice" letter telling him that.

If you go ahead with it, a pinch of anthrax wouldn't go amiss.

Advertisement