Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Is it unusual to have final arguments so close to the actual sentancing?

If the ruling is to be given a day or so after both the prosecution and defense give their final arguments, surely she would need more time to make her decision? Otherwise you would assume she already has her mind made up making the arguments pointless...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Is every murder trial in South Africa dragged out like this I wonder? Its all a bit farcical at this stage. I feel for Reeva Steenkamps family, this must be hell for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

farce...lock em up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

farce...lock em up
    Why? What will that achieve?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Holsten wrote: »
    Why? What will that achieve?

justice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

What would this thread have been called if we'd found out he was gay, I wonder.

Gay bummer becomes gay gunner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

So today so far from the bits I have heard is:

Don't lock up OP as he is going to create a foundation to help disabled kids and its not something he just came up with something now to avoid jail time :pac: he had planned to launch this ages ago before he killed Reeva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

I can't see him getting much a jail sentence if he even gets to serve any jail time at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what sort of life will he lead from now on??? will he remain in SA?? will he return to athletics?? will he top himself??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

fryup wrote: »
    what sort of life will he lead from now on??? will he remain in SA?? will he return to athletics?? will he top himself??

He doesn't seem like a man who has any remorse what so ever. A year from now he'll be asking 'Reeva who?'. He'll carry on with life and I wouldn't be surprised to see him carry on with athletics, I don't think he's going to let a little thing like murdering his girlfriend get in his way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

mzungu wrote: »
    Is every murder trial in South Africa dragged out like this I wonder? Its all a bit farcical at this stage. I feel for Reeva Steenkamps family, this must be hell for them.

There are 45 murders in South Africa every day, a similar number of attempted murders and about four times that number sexual offences cases:

http://africacheck.org/factsheets/factsheet-south-africas-official-crime-statistics-for-201213/

There would have to be millions of police officers and court officials to put the resources into every case that were put into this (open and shut) case. I think it is safe to say that money buys you 'justice' in SA as it does in a lot of other jurisdictions.

When Perpetrator Impact Statements (PIS for short?) include statements that the poor perpetrator has lost a lot of money because he killed someone I don't think farce is really strong enough a description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The way they describe South African jails you'd nearly feel sorry for him if he had to go there but the defence seem to forget that it's acceptable for all the other poor buggers in there to have to live in those lousy conditions.

Why was he paying 6000 rand to the parents? It works out at 400e a month.

Mr Nel, the "pitbull" prosecutor who has become famous for his style of cross-examination, appears to be approaching the nub of his argument.
    In the latest exchange, he hammered home potential weaknesses is the probation officers recommendation of no prison sentence for Pistorius:

Nel: "Do you have any statistics about disabled persons in prisons?"

Vergeer: "No, my lady"

Nel: "If I put to you that on average in the last 10 years there were 128 disabled prisoners admitted yearly and dealt with by the prisons, you won't be able to deny that?"

Vergeer: "I cannot deny that, my lady."

Nel: "Yet on page 17 [of your report], the last sentence, you wrote 'there is also no facility to cater for the accused disability'.
    "I tell you that is not correct, the correctional facilties can cater for any prisoner with any disability and have been doing for the last ten years."

Vergeer: "I take note, my lady."

More sh1te from the defence, the Judge will still go with them over the states arguments no doubt.

Will be very surprised if OP serves a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Deise Vu wrote: »
    There are 45 murders in South Africa every day,

holy mother of god! and we thought the north was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

fryup wrote: »
    holy mother of god! and we thought the north was bad

There is 54 million or so living there so take that in to consideration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

when in flying f**k is this sentence actually going to be handed down!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

When the ratings begin to drop off. But not without a countdown first, showing each months highlight reel every day and letting us know how many days left until "THE BIG ONE!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Next Tuesday, 21st.

Any prison sentence for him is essentially a death sentence, it will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

He doesn't seem like a man who has any remorse what so ever. A year from now he'll be asking 'Reeva who?'. He'll carry on with life and I wouldn't be surprised to see him carry on with athletics, I don't think he's going to let a little thing like murdering his girlfriend get in his way.

I can't see him getting back into sport in a major way. Who would give him sponsorship now? Everyone in the world bar the judge thinks he's a murderer. It would be a public relations nightmare. He'd be a liability more than anything.

I find this whole business of arguing about what kind of punishment he should get a bit bizarre. The whole thing seems to be more concerned with how difficult certain kinds of punishment would be for him than what is actually a fitting way to hold this guy accountable. Prison isn't supposed to be easy. The punishment should fit the crime and he killed someone, whether it was deliberate or not. House arrest or community service is an insult to the victim and her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

All his life he has fought to show that his disability doesnt make him any different to an able bodied person.

Until it comes to jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

They should take away his fake legs as punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    I can't see him getting back into sport in a major way. Who would give him sponsorship now? Everyone in the world bar the judge thinks he's a murderer. It would be a public relations nightmare. He'd be a liability more than anything.

I find this whole business of arguing about what kind of punishment he should get a bit bizarre. The whole thing seems to be more concerned with how difficult certain kinds of punishment would be for him than what is actually a fitting way to hold this guy accountable. Prison isn't supposed to be easy. The punishment should fit the crime and he killed someone, whether it was deliberate or not. House arrest or community service is an insult to the victim and her family.

Yeah, listening to his lawyer argue that he should be sentenced to house arrest in a relatives mansion and should do something like carrying water as part of a community service programme:eek: How in Hell is that a punishment. It's still all about 'poor Oscar'. I can see him getting a suspended sentence, so essentially getting away with it. As for sponsorship, I'm cynical enough to believe that there are still companies out there who believe the old no publicity is bad publicity line. Maybe some gun manufacturer will use him in their advertising.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I love the 8 bit madness of Circlont 6A, its like Aphex Twin's ode to the Pac Man EP, the dubsteppy madness in the middle and the way he introduces the indie guitar effect at the end, quite a cool track actually.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So what are we betting the sentence will be?
    My money's on something non custodial. House arrest or somesuch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd reckon a couple of years custodial, enough that the number sounds big enough now, but he'll be out on licence at half the term. I think they would stick him in a hospital wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I don't think he'll serve any time in jail.

robinph wrote: »
    I'd reckon a couple of years custodial, enough that the number sounds big enough now, but he'll be out on licence at half the term. I think they would stick him in a hospital wing.

That's what should happen.

But I don't think he will serve a day. Nothing surprises me any more with this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This judge is painful. Suspended suspense or house arrest is all I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

The prosecutors indicated that if the sentence does not include a significant prison sentence, they will be appealing the judge's verdict on unpremeditated murder.

I think the circus is far from over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Judge has ruled out suspended sentence or community service/house arrest

Advertisement