Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

robinph wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned with the daughter/ sister going to live in SA I think. Don't expect I'd be particularly worried about being around Pistouris.

I would be worried about being around anyone that carries a gun on them daily in a non-uniformed role, or has one under the bed.

Bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'd be more concerned with the daughter/ sister going to live in SA I think. Don't expect I'd be particularly worried about being around Pistouris.

I would be worried about being around anyone that carries a gun on them daily in a non-uniformed role, or has one under the bed.

But out straight regardless of his jurisdiction would you be worried about her well being if they were in a relationship together? Honestly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I understand the beyond any reasonable doubt thing, but anyone defending this sentence, please prove to me beyond any reasonable doubt, that he didnt do it :rolleyes: What do they want, him to admit it or have a video recording of it or a diagram of his plot to kill her, something like Stewie would have in family guy?!

the guy doesnt come across as the most stable, but to bring him to this, he must have had news that really sent him off the rails, likely that she was leaving him or had met someone else IMO. They werent married, so I cant see financial motivation.

the burglar thing I could find believable up to a point, but when he didnt check the bed, didnt ask the person in the toilet to identify themselves before shooting when he hadnt checked Reeva was in bed. Then he shoots 4 shots was it? Just going on simple math, its a 25% chance that the first shot wasnt one of the fatal shots, didnt she let out a WOMANS scream when she was hit or did he fire them in so quick that it was too late regardless?

if this is as basic to us non legal professionals, shouldnt the judge know that and take it into account. the whole purpose of courts is to impose justice isnt it? So the justice you get simply depends on how good your lawyers are in general or if they have a good or bad day?

In South Africa someone is considered innocent until proven guilty. I'm pretty sure that they have to be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt too.

Do I think that he murdered Reeva Steenkamp? Yes, I do. I don't believe the burglar story and even if I did, shooting through a door at someone just isn't even vaguely reasonable behaviour IMO.

I don't believe that he should have been convicted of premeditated murder though. There's a higher standard of proof required for convicting someone of this than just thinking that on the balance of probabilities they did it. I happen to believe that this is a good thing even if it means that some people are not found guilty of crimes that they committed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Soups123 wrote: »
    But out straight regardless of his jurisdiction would you be worried about her well being if they were in a relationship together? Honestly?

Nope.

Only concern would be the media circus that would then appear, if you took that out of the equation though there isn't anything to be concerned about with Pistouris.

He is still a bit of a prick though, but I've thought that from before any of this happened.

Nope.

Only concern would be the media circus that would then appear, if you took that out of the equation though there isn't anything to be concerned about with Pistouris.

He is still a bit of a prick though, but I've thought that from before any of this happened.

So your daughter is dating someone who has a temper, has a history of firing guns, one of which killed his last girlfriend and your telling me you would have no concerns whatsoever about the safey of your daughter, really?

I find that hard to believe Robinph

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Soups123 wrote: »
    So your daughter is dating someone who has a temper, has a history of firing guns, one of which killed his last girlfriend and your telling me you would have no concerns whatsoever about the safey of your daughter, really?

I find that hard to believe Robinph

I might not like the guy, but I see no reason to fear him. He's never going to be allowed anywhere near a gun again.

What is there to be scared of?

I might not like the guy, but I see no reason to fear him. He's never going to be allowed anywhere near a gun again.

He's not got a history of adhering to rules. In fact he has a history of breaking and bending them. I wouldn't be confident at all that he wouldn't get near a gun again.

I agree with your points about the conviction Robin but I don't think that time in prison is going to fundamentally change his behaviour. Leopards and spots and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Internet Expert Impact Statement

Each to there own, as a father I don't understand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

About sodding time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Sure what did ye expect? The bloke didn't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sure what did ye expect? The bloke didn't have a leg to stand on.

Nice one, Centurion! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

So...how long do we think it will be before Oscar stages his first failed suicide attempt? Somehow or other I don't think he will actually spend 10 months in prison. I think it's just a matter of time before he's transferred from prison to a psychiatric facility or to house arrest on grounds of mental health problems associated with prison or due to fears for his safety in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

So...how long do we think it will be before Oscar stages his first failed suicide attempt? Somehow or other I don't think he will actually spend 10 months in prison. I think it's just a matter of time before he's transferred from prison to a psychiatric facility or to house arrest on grounds of mental health problems associated with prison or due to fears for his safety in prison.

Don't be at all surprised if he attempts suicide considering what he has been through. His friends lied about him shooting guns out of cars and in restaurants, somebody put illegal ammunition in his gun and into his apartment and he had to experience the sheer terror of his girlfriend going to the bathroom in their locked and barricaded apartment in their secure compound. She deservedly took four bullets for her stupidity. And all this is costing him a fortune! He wouldn't be human if he wasn't feeling the strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is his career over now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Is his career over now?
    I would say so, has he kept up with training since he shot Reeva? Doubt it.

He's locked up now for a min of 10 months, he'll be nearly 29 when he could be possibly released.

He will not be allowed compete for 5 years.

Done and dusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

The real sad thing about this is that Oscar will have no shortage of women throwing themselves at him when he gets out in ten months.
    It's a sick sick world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The South African justice system has been a lesson I'll tell you.

I'm aghast...

I wouldn't be surprised to find it's in the written judgement that the Steenkamps are required to pay for a new bathroom door.

They may aswell go the full hog sher. Shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Is his career over now?

I think it probably is! The IPC have officially confirmed that he will be banned from competing for the full duration of his sentence, so 5 years,unless he appeals and his sentence is reduced, which is not looking likely.

He will be 32 in 2019, so a return to competing at a high level would be impossible, even if he had the will. If I were Reeva's parents, the confirmation of his banning by the sporting body would bring me some added comfort. As others have said, he will probably get a book deal, maybe return to coaching, and be successful with women in the future, but the life he had is gone forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is his career over now?

Just beginning :p he will rake it in from book deals, interviews and reality shows etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The real sad thing about this is that Oscar will have no shortage of women throwing themselves at him when he gets out in ten months.

If it's any small consolation they'll wake him up from his sleep every time they go to the bathroom... just to be sure.

sadie06 wrote: »
    I think it probably is! The IPC have officially confirmed that he will be banned from competing for the full duration of his sentence, so 5 years,unless he appeals and his sentence is reduced, which is not looking likely.

He will be 32 in 2019, so a return to competing at a high level would be impossible, even if he had the will. If I were Reeva's parents, the confirmation of his banning by the sporting body would bring me some added comfort. As others have said, he will probably get a book deal, maybe return to coaching, and be successful with women in the future, but the life he had is gone forever.

He would have no trouble returning to upper echelons of paralympian's unless there's a sea change over the next five years. The number of participants is small and he won't need to be near his peak to be competitive.

The able bodied world is a bit different. The standard is higher and although he was obviously never a serious threat for a medal he wasn't a million miles away and his progress was relatively uneven leaving open the possibility that he would make another leap in performance at some stage.

I'm convinced by the analysis of the Science of Sports guys that he did/does get an unfair advantage over able bodied sports people (primarily due to the low weight of the prosthetic enabling him to reposition his feet faster than somebody with legs can. Given that and that he hadn't trained seriously for long enough to reach his peak I think that there's a chance that he could have run significantly faster than the world record if he had trained diligently for another few years. If my surmises are correct (and obviously I'm just speculating) then being competitive at international level in his mid-thirties even after 5 years out of competition would be very realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Just beginning :p he will rake it in from book deals, interviews and reality shows etc.
    a global boycott to stop him profiting from anything would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Clearlier wrote: »
    He would have no trouble returning to upper echelons of paralympian's unless there's a sea change over the next five years. The number of participants is small and he won't need to be near his peak to be competitive.

The able bodied world is a bit different. The standard is higher and although he was obviously never a serious threat for a medal he wasn't a million miles away and his progress was relatively uneven leaving open the possibility that he would make another leap in performance at some stage.

I'm convinced by the analysis of the Science of Sports guys that he did/does get an unfair advantage over able bodied sports people (primarily due to the low weight of the prosthetic enabling him to reposition his feet faster than somebody with legs can. Given that and that he hadn't trained seriously for long enough to reach his peak I think that there's a chance that he could have run significantly faster than the world record if he had trained diligently for another few years. If my surmises are correct (and obviously I'm just speculating) then being competitive at international level in his mid-thirties even after 5 years out of competition would be very realistic.

Interesting stuff...but I think his anxiety would get in the way of a world record :D what a crock...

I always thought it was a load of bollocks that he was allowed compete with those springs, its also opened up a can of worms, prosthetics are going to become more and more advanced, which is a good thing but its only a matter of time before another competitor comes along with a similar disability shouting "hey, but that other fella was allowed to compete..." and will wipe the floor against regular able bodied athletes, all in the name of political correctness.

You may be right in saying he could in theory compete but I don't think he will, he'd be abused, heckled and ridiculed beyond belief. Although I'd say we'll be seeing plenty of him in the media down through the years, he's a monumental f**k up of a human being and will find trouble easily and ultimately be the cause of his own downfall. He couldn't even get through the trial without getting into a nightclub row, he seems to be thick as pigsh*t also which won't help his plight. Its good that he'll serve some time in prison but his life as he knows it or wants it to be is over in spite of getting away with murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

In theory he might be able to return to sport, but realistically, I don't see it happening. Even if he is fit enough to go back after spending 5 years away from the sport, he'd hardly get any sponsorship. Who'd want to touch him with a barge pole? I could see him getting a book deal or some such though.

For what it's worth, I think ten months is a joke of a prison sentence for killing someone, whether he intended to or not and I have no doubt that if it was a poor black guy who couldn't speak much English who shot his girlfriend through a door, he would have gotten much longer. That said, his life is totally changed over this and I don't expect he'll ever get away from this or the all round degree of suspicion that surrounds him and his story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

He'll get on with life as normal, it didn't affect OJ too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Except OJ is currently serving a very lengthy prison sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping. He's a **** up of epic proportions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    Except OJ is currently serving a very lengthy prison sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping. He's a **** up of epic proportions.

Yes but he seemed quite happy before that crime and who's to say OP isn't a huge **** up in the waiting. He seems to have a real edge to him.

Interesting stuff...but I think his anxiety would get in the way of a world record :D what a crock...

I always thought it was a load of bollocks that he was allowed compete with those springs, its also opened up a can of worms, prosthetics are going to become more and more advanced, which is a good thing but its only a matter of time before another competitor comes along with a similar disability shouting "hey, but that other fella was allowed to compete..." and will wipe the floor against regular able bodied athletes, all in the name of political correctness.

It's worth noting/knowing that only the prosthetics that OP used are eligible for use in able bodied competition. Anybody who wanted to use different prosthetics would have to have these approved. There's some hope that there may be an improved process by then which would remove the advantage offered by these. It would take something extraordinary for his current prosthetics to be banned though given that it went all the way to the CAS.
    You may be right in saying he could in theory compete but I don't think he will, he'd be abused, heckled and ridiculed beyond belief. Although I'd say we'll be seeing plenty of him in the media down through the years, he's a monumental f**k up of a human being and will find trouble easily and ultimately be the cause of his own downfall. He couldn't even get through the trial without getting into a nightclub row, he seems to be thick as pigsh*t also which won't help his plight. Its good that he'll serve some time in prison but his life as he knows it or wants it to be is over in spite of getting away with murder.

Yeah, I agree. I don't see him competing again either. That said, if he really is broke I don't rule out the possibility of some kind of an attempt at a redemptive comeback. I'd hate to see it and I hope it never happens but I can't quite rule it out as a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I'm well aware he's left in a prison van. You know very well what I meant. This sentence will be appealed...

Will it? And will he get a death sentence?

Advertisement