Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was thinking manslaughter, which wouldn't result in him being locked up by default. All the sillyness with the case and such like had me forgetting they were trying to claim the pre-meditated murder charge. I think he would be out on bail in the UK though just because the murder charge wouldn't have been claimed on the evidence so far.

The ANC Womens League really are bandwagon jumping as there is also nothing to suggest this is a case about a battered woman being abused. It just happens that the victim was female.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

robinph wrote: »
    I was thinking manslaughter, which wouldn't result in him being locked up by default. All the sillyness with the case and such like had me forgetting they were trying to claim the pre-meditated murder charge. I think he would be out on bail in the UK though just because the murder charge wouldn't have been claimed on the evidence so far.

The ANC Womens League really are bandwagon jumping as there is also nothing to suggest this is a case about a battered woman being abused. It just happens that the victim was female.

Robinph, aside from the question of sponsors and organisers, do you really think OP is actually going to take part in any sporting events while out on bail? I just think the public outrage would be immeasurable. It would be a PR catastrophe for him.

Any travelling he does will be in the interests of R&R somewhere away from the media spotlight, IMHO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

TwoBirds wrote: »
    Robinph, aside from the question of sponsors and organisers, do you really think OP is actually going to take part in any sporting events while out on bail? I just think the public outrage would be immeasurable. It would be a PR catastrophe for him.

Any travelling he does will be in the interests of R&R somewhere away from the media spotlight, IMHO.

I think it would be a big mistake for him to compete, I do think promoters would be happy to have him run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

So, his agent hinting he may be aiming for World Championships in Moscow

From the Telegraph
    Pistorius' agent, Peet van Zyl, said soon after the ruling that Pistorius could even run at the world championships in Moscow in August - if he wanted to and if he qualified.

"Based on this (judge's decision), and if he is up for it and qualifies, the world championships will definitely be on the radar," Van Zy said.

Rascasse wrote: »

From the Telegraph

Ah...I'll believe it when I see it. Considering he's his agent, Van Zyl seems to be a bit of a loose cannon in terms of PR; quotes like these ones undermine the contrite, grief-stricken image that OP's team have tried to convey.

If anyone on Team Plausible has an ounce of media savvy, they'll keep OP tucked away until the trial materializes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Crazy that he got his passport back, what a joke considering your average African citizen probably wouldn't stand a chance of getting that sort of treatment if they were in his situation. It seems obvious to me what is going to happen. Whatever country he manages to get himself into he will hire some lawyer to claim his life will be in danger if he returns to Africa and make a claim under some human rights thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

seamus wrote: »
    Pistorious has won his application to be allowed to leave South Africa

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/317230011318931456

:eek:

Twill be interesting to see what he does on his first trip. Or rather what he does after he gets out of SA...

Don't see a problem with this tbh.

At the moment he is innocent unless and until proven guilty.

No need to treat him like a criminal.

The real question is this - why would she not turn on the bathroom light? If it's so pitch-dark, and this is not her home, why would she fumble around trying to get to the toilet without putting on a light?

That's not at all unusual to be honest.

I never turn the lights if I have to use the toilet during the night.

It's too jarring and it's never so dark that I need it on.

Jesus wept:

"His friend Mike Azzie says the star is a "broken man", and his state of mind has worsened since he had to sell his racehorses to raise money to pay his rising legal fees."

A girl is dead at his hands and he wants to leave the country and is depressed further by selling a few horses??? (not for one minute downplaying you can get attached to pets/animals but FFS the girl is still dead)

It's not unheard for people to tell different things to different people about the same event or person or feeling.

He have more comfortable telling his friend the truth than his family.

I wouldn't use this to hang him tbh.

Wow...looking at the posts I quoted and other posts in this thread....it's as if people are searching for reasons to convict him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Don't see a problem with this tbh.

At the moment he is innocent unless and until proven guilty.

No need to treat him like a criminal.

What? WHAT?

• Advertisement

markesmith wrote: »
    What? WHAT?

I just meant there's no need to shut him away in his house when he is not yet charged with any criminal offence.

I don't the issue with him being allowed to travel when he is for now a free and innocent man.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I just meant there's no need to shut him away in his house when he is not yet charged with any criminal offence.

I don't the issue with him being allowed to travel when he is for now a free and innocent man.

He is charged. Not yet convicted.

So do you believe that anyone who is awaiting trial should be free to travel? There is a reason that restriction to travel is a condition for many while on bail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

There is a reason that restriction to travel is a condition for many while on bail

There is. And presumably there's a reason why that restriction has not been applied to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Rascasse wrote: »

From the Telegraph

I'm sure it's on a long list of places with no extradition treaties with South Africa that he's considering competing......

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Seachmall wrote: »
    There is. And presumably there's a reason why that restriction has not been applied to him.

I totally accept that. Personally I'm undecided but leaning more towards the he should be allowed travel side. I do think there is still a small risk of him trying to run though.

My issue was with Audrey's implication that he should be allowed travel JUST because he hasn't been convicted yet because then anyone awaiting trial should be the same and we all know that there are plenty out there who shouldn't be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If he did shoot her intentionally, what would have been his motive? I know there were rumours she was seeing someone else but to shoot her dead for that seems very ott.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

aidan24326 wrote: »
    If he did shoot her intentionally, what would have been his motive? I know there were rumours she was seeing someone else but to shoot her dead for that seems very ott.

Yeah, it's not like that's ever happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm sure it's on a long list of places with no extradition treaties with South Africa that he's considering competing......

Funnily enough Russia is one of 73 countries with no extradition treaty with South Africa.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

karma_ wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not like that's ever happened before.

I know it happens, I watch ID Channel! :)

Still just seems a very extreme reaction if that was the case. Most of us would just dump her.

Still just seems a very extreme reaction if that was the case. Most of us would just dump her.

lol this girl was a peach i wouldn't be dumping her (or shooting her).

People with tempers don't exactly need a pre-planned motive to grab their gun and shoot someone up.

It may have been as simple as an argument, he gets pissed off, says come out of that bathroom right now it's my house, gets his gun shoots up the door.

Still counted as "premeditated" though, as in case law premeditation can be a matter of seconds before a crime is committed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I know mate, and most of the time, that's what happens. Unfortunately sometimes it does not and I'm of the opinion that is what's happened in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

That's not at all unusual to be honest.

I never turn the lights if I have to use the toilet during the night.

It's too jarring and it's never so dark that I need it on.

It was dark enough though that OP couldn't see Reeva was in the bed, even when he was standing right beside it to get his gun.

Sky News this morning showing images of the bathroom scene post-shooting, including the bullet holes in the door.

(I would link but they're easily accessible for those who want to view them. Graphic and a bit distasteful, tbh.)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Chloe29

I just read that they are using a letter Reeva wrote about the fear of burglaries in SA-http://www.chillingcrimes.com/uncategorised/will-reevas-letter-save-oscar-pistorius/

seems she was as afraid as Oscar was....really want to see what phone records say

To be fair, the bullet holes in the doors are very low. I'm no trajectory expert but this would tend to support his version of events.

All thread i've believed he's guilty but that piece of evidence may be enough to sway me (and a Judge) that he's not a premeditated murderer, just a trigger happy gun nut.

He still needs the inside of a prison cell for what he did though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/reeva-steenkamps-parents-suing-oscar-2013447

The lastest chapter in this story - Reeva Steenkamp's parents are going to sue Pistorius for financial losses resulting from her death. They say she helped them pay their bills and her death has left them nearly penniless.

Not sure how to feel on this tbh.

I completely understand their thinking of course, but I also have a thing about the whole idea of 'Compo Culture'.

Of course these parents have lost their daughter in a horrific way and so I suppose the correct way to feel is that they should take him for all he has.

Tragic case all round though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/reeva-steenkamps-parents-suing-oscar-2013447

The lastest chapter in this story - Reeva Steenkamp's parents are going to sue Pistorius for financial losses resulting from her death. They say she helped them pay their bills and her death has left them nearly penniless.

Not sure how to feel on this tbh.

I completely understand their thinking of course, but I also have a thing about the whole idea of 'Compo Culture'.

Of course these parents have lost their daughter in a horrific way and so I suppose the correct way to feel is that they should take him for all he has.

Tragic case all round though.

That case has to get laughed out of court. It's probably just being brought in order to keep the overall case up top in the news headlines as Mandela news will be top headline at the moment I'd expect. What would they have done if their daughter had decided to just stop sending them her cash because her modelling career dried up, or she just couldn't be bothered to send them money anymore? Pistouris is absolutely not responsible for their personal financial woes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So many forensics experts in this thread I see! Didn't know there was so many around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

callaway92 wrote: »
    So many forensics experts in this thread I see! Didn't know there was so many around!

We've all seen at least one episode of CSI, it's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i reckon it'll pan out like the OJ simpson case and he'll get off the hook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hard to know. A lot of the evidence seems to point against him and she was really well liked too. I guess it depends how good his lawyers are!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

SkyNews going all out on this.
    You'd think that they were a SouthAfrican tv station with live broadcasts and anchors from Pretoria

The states case is not a good one when their opening statement is that their evidence is entirely circumstantial.

• Advertisement

This prosecution witness seems to be giving good defence evidence?!?!?
    Heard female screams, then male screams, then gun shots. That backs up Pistouris version of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

definitely he'll get off.

Always these "celeb" trials are distracted by the character, and the crime
    itself isn't whats on trial.

Like the OJ case, the real trial was "Racism in the LAPD" - This will be police incompetence etc..

Prosecution: Can we have an early lunch so I can read through my notes?
    Judge: Any objection?
    Defence: I don't think it will help him.
    Court: lol :D

Some good cross-examining there...witness has difficulty answering the questions multiple times

The interpreter is pretty useless, and I don't mean her interpreting, I mean she is not required. Why isn't the witness answering in English, she's having to correct the interpreter and then explain some other confusions in English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Not watching , but some of the trial is in Africaans ?

Now she's giving evidence in English because trying to get the point across through a translator is stupid. Just a political reason for her speaking in Afrikaans I expect.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Not watching , but some of the trial is in Africaans ?
    Yeah.
    The witness was speaking in Afrikaans and just now has stated that she is willing to speak in English, no in Afrikaans, no in English, no.... :D

Okay she wants it in Afrikaans...for now

Is she just dumb :confused:

The witness should be charged for being difficult and messing about with insisting on a translator.

All in English now.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I thought the defense lawyer was being a dick!

Asking about her husbands testimony! She is there to give her testimony!

cowlove wrote: »
    I thought the defense lawyer was being a dick!

Asking about her husbands testimony! She is there to give her testimony!

But if she can't agree with her husbands testimony then it is relavant for how valid both of their statements are. That is the defence lawyers job, to question their testimony.

Translator just run out of court due to a coughing fit.

robinph wrote: »
    Translator just run out of court due to a coughing fit.
    Choking on words?

• Advertisement
Advertisement