Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Deise Vu wrote: »
    If you think an athlete could function at a low level, let alone olympic level, with a debilitating anxiety disorder you clearly have never been on a starting line waiting for the starters gun to go off.

Oh, I think Robinph is a fairly accomplished runner.

But I do agree with the point that I don't think an Olympic athlete could function with a debilitating anxiety disorder.

As Nel stated, its a fallback position that the defence have introduced as a late stage, because the case really isn't going as well as expected for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you think an athlete could function at a low level, let alone olympic level, with a debilitating anxiety disorder you clearly have never been on a starting line waiting for the starters gun to go off.

The gun going off is not the scary bit about being on the start line of a race, it's getting beaten by everyone else to the finish line that you are worried about. That someone in a silly hat and blazer is pointing an orange cap gun in the air is not of concern for anyone.

They are going to asses him for any psychiatric disorders and then we'll find out if an Olympic athlete could have such a thing. If OP does or not is still up for question, but athletes at that level are definitely wired a bit different to the rest of us just to have got to that position in the first place and OP has certainly had a unusual childhood where there are plenty of things that could have messed him up. They are now going to determine if that is a relevant factor.

Being an Olympic athlete is not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

what a joke, this guy will get away with it ... like all "celebrity" trials ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    As Nel stated, its a fallback position that the defence have introduced as a late stage, because the case really isn't going as well as expected for them.

Surprised that they didn't have it lined up from the start tbh. Would have seemed like a perfectly sensible line to take from the start and is shockingly poor from the defence to have only come up with the idea after things went badly for them earlier.

^ from the little I have read so far, I think the general consensus is that bringing it up at such a late stage was a mistake on the defences part.

I think Nel saw it as a chance to sow some discontent between OP and Roux's team also.

I didn't see any coverage on TV last night, but apparently OP looked like he was fuming in the dock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

robinph wrote: »
    The gun going off is not the scary bit about being on the start line of a race, it's getting beaten by everyone else to the finish line that you are worried about. That someone in a silly hat and blazer is pointing an orange cap gun in the air is not of concern for anyone.

They are going to asses him for any psychiatric disorders and then we'll find out if an Olympic athlete could have such a thing. If OP does or not is still up for question, but athletes at that level are definitely wired a bit different to the rest of us just to have got to that position in the first place and OP has certainly had a unusual childhood where there are plenty of things that could have messed him up. They are now going to determine if that is a relevant factor.

Jesus, you have never been in any sporting contest have you? The scary bit is indeed that you are going to lose or be humiliated by your performance, letting people down etc etc. It is emphatically not the starting gun or the referees whistle that is scary. But waiting for the gun or the whistle is bloody stomach churning. If you are human and the contest is important enough or there is a big crowd you will be semi-sick with nerves. If you are nervous to the point of a disorder, stay at home, you just fall out the blocks not explode out of them. The idea that an olympic athlete has an anxiety disorder is laughable,

Jesus, you have never been in any sporting contest have you? The scary bit is indeed that you are going to lose or be humiliated by your performance, letting people down etc etc. It is emphatically not the starting gun or the referees whistle that is scary. But waiting for the gun or the whistle is bloody stomach churning. If you are human and the contest is important enough or there is a big crowd you will be semi-sick with nerves. If you are nervous to the point of a disorder, stay at home, you just fall out the blocks not explode out of them. The idea that an olympic athlete has an anxiety disorder is laughable,

You are talking rubbish.

Just because someone is scared of one particular situation, such as being attacked in their home, does not mean that they are scared of all situations that might involve a loud bang happening, such as at the start of a race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

You are talking rubbish.

Just because someone is scared of one particular situation, such as being attacked in their home, does not mean that they are scared of all situations that might involve a loud bang happening, such as at the start of a race.
    What is GAD?

Those affected by GAD suffer from excessive, uncontrollable anxiety and worry - which is often irrational. Sufferers can find it difficult to function on a day-to-day basis as they are constantly worrying about everyday things such as health, money, personal relationships and problems at work.

This heightened anxiety may lead to physical symptoms such as fatigue, insomnia, muscle aches, trembling, sweating, nausea, hot flashes, irritability and agitation.

While most of us may experience some form of these symptoms from time to time, people with GAD have them on more days than not. To separate GAD from regular anxiety, these symptoms have to persist for more than six months in order for a person to be diagnosed with the disorder.

In addition, GAD often goes hand-in-hand with other mental illnesses – commonly depression – and thus must be treated accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Merkin wrote: »

Only decision she could make. If there's a conviction it needs to be sustainable and beyond doubt, if there's an acquittal he deserves it to be a proper clearance, not one with questions leaving an assumption of unproven guilt.

• Advertisement

NipNip wrote: »

Useful info on the symptoms, but it is not a checklist of things that the person will definitely be suffering with. It is a set of symptoms that "often", "can" or "may" happen.

Just because someone is suffering from a particular condition does not mean that they cannot get out of bed an appear to the rest of us as if they are functioning normally.

You are talking rubbish.

FFS it has nothing to do with a loud bang. It can be a whistle, a hooter (in swimming) someone saying "Go!". There is a reason sporting icons are considered heroes, they face stressful situations and physical battles and overcome them. For fun.

FFS it has nothing to do with a loud bang. It can be a whistle, a hooter (in swimming) someone saying "Go!". There is a reason sporting icons are considered heroes, they face stressful situations and physical battles and overcome them. For fun.

FFS him being an Olympian has nothing to do with this case...other than that is the reason it is getting the coverage that we are following.

FFS him being an Olympian has nothing to do with this case...other than that is the reason it is getting the coverage that we are following.

His defence is that he is is a coward. A coward could not compete at olympic level. Or any level for that matter. He is a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I had a bad opinion of OP before the shooting, i'm not sure what's on youtube but if you look for a race in which he loses, you can get a good idea of his personality..... ie an absolute c**

His defence is that he is is a coward. A coward could not compete at olympic level. Or any level for that matter. He is a liar.

What you are suggesting is equivalent of saying that because someone is an Olympic athlete they cannot be scared of heights, or of spiders or any other daft comparison you'd care to think up.

What you are suggesting is equivalent of saying that because someone is an Olympic athlete they cannot be scared of heights, or of spiders or any other daft comparison you'd care to think up.

Ehhh...no. But I would confidently expect them to feel safe when locked in their apartment in a secure compound though. Especially if they were lethally armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Ehhh...no. But I would confidently expect them to feel safe when locked in their apartment in a secure compound though. Especially if they were lethally armed.

Would you say the same for the South African rugby player who shot dead his daughter because he thought she was a thief stealing her car?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/may/25/southafrica.rugbyunion

Being a gold medal winning anything does not preclude you from having fears and phobias, rational or irrational.

So exactly the same as you'd expect of anyone else then in that situation. Which then brings us back to them now evaluating him for the anxiety disorder and irrational fears he may have.

You cannot base a psychiatric diagnosis on the number of Olympic medals that someone has though.

• Advertisement

Would you say the same for the South African rugby player who shot dead his daughter because he thought she was stealing his car?

Being a gold medal winning anything does not preclude you from having fears and phobias, rational or irrational.

He shot her because he thought she was someone stealing his car not because he was afraid. There is no parallel with OP's situation.

This is not a phobia that he has. He was diagnosed by this defence psychiatrist after 2 sessions, as having GENERALISED Anxiety Disorder; more than a year after the shooting, and after having given evidence and being cross-examined by the prosecution. You seem to misunderstand the disorder. It is a pervasive, GENERAL anxiety. Basically, you're talking about an extremely nervous nellie. Not really someone who could remain cool, calm and collected under stress of any sort......

Would you say the same for the South African rugby player who shot dead his daughter because he thought she was a thief stealing her car?

He wasn't diagnosed as having GAD..... :rolleyes:

He shot her because he thought she was someone stealing his car not because he was afraid. There is no parallel with OP's situation.

It was her own car, not his. Check these out;

http://mg.co.za/article/2004-05-24-rugby-player-shoots-and-kills-daughter-by-mistake

https://www.google.ie/search?q=rugby+player+shoots+daughter&oq=rug&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0j69i59j0l3.8920j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://in.news.yahoo.com/sa-rugby-player-relives-pistorius-accidental-shooting-daughter-075406399--spt.html

http://www.news.com.au/world/is-there-a-precedent-for-pistorius-in-the-rudi-visagie-case/story-fndir2ev-1226582358690

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/visagie-can-find-some-peace-at-last-1.219358#.U3NcnIFdVWI

I could go on quoting here but I think that's enough.

These cases are absolutely comparable. Pistorius didn't stop to think it might be his girlfriend in the bathroom, Visagie didn't stop to think it might be his daughter in her own car. Both assumed they were intruders and acted out of confusion and fear and on impulse.

It was her own car, not his. Check these out;

http://mg.co.za/article/2004-05-24-rugby-player-shoots-and-kills-daughter-by-mistake

https://www.google.ie/search?q=rugby+player+shoots+daughter&oq=rug&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0j69i59j0l3.8920j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://in.news.yahoo.com/sa-rugby-player-relives-pistorius-accidental-shooting-daughter-075406399--spt.html

http://www.news.com.au/world/is-there-a-precedent-for-pistorius-in-the-rudi-visagie-case/story-fndir2ev-1226582358690

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/visagie-can-find-some-peace-at-last-1.219358#.U3NcnIFdVWI

I could go on quoting here but I think that's enough.

These cases are absolutely comparable. Pistorius didn't stop to think it might be his girlfriend in the bathroom, Visagie didn't stop to think it might be his daughter in her own car. Both assumed they were intruders and acted out of confusion and fear and on impulse.

His car, the daughters car. It doesn't matter. He thought someone was stealing from his family and he deliberately shot the driver who turned out to be his daughter. How does that prove he was scared at the time? The car was driving away, why would anyone be scared?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So people actually believe he shot her by mistake ???

Seriously ???

- I hear noises from the bathroom in my house ... the door is closed - im not gonna check that it's not my wife, im just assume its an intruder and unload the gun through the door !!!

F*ck off !!

The defense is laughable ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Dont most murderers get really anxious after being caught?

His extremely wealthy mining family will be waving their wallets soon enough
    I bet he wont do any time it's a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

123balltv wrote: »
    Dont most murderers get really anxious after being caught?

His extremely wealthy mining family will be waving their wallets soon enough
    I bet he wont do any time it's a disgrace.

At least wait for the verdict/sentence before calling Joe.

His car, the daughters car. It doesn't matter. He thought someone was stealing from his family and he deliberately shot the driver who turned out to be his daughter. How does that prove he was scared at the time? The car was driving away, why would anyone be scared?

And Pistorius says thought some-one had broken into his home and was a threat to himself and Reeva.

Perhaps he wasn't scared but certainly his anxiety and stress levels would have heightened, as Pistorius were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

grizzly wrote: »
    At least wait for the verdict/sentence before calling Joe.

Another 30 days to wait this trial will give me GAD load of balls I
    have real anxiety it effects my social life, career etc Pistorius was on top of
    the world before his fight with Reeva.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

There hasn't been much I've agreed with you with on this but on this I'm 100% with you...anxiety disorder among actors, athletes and performers on the big stage of any kind in general is extremely common. It's when they're up there doing what they're best at is when they feel comfortable, day to day stuff can be the struggle for them.

That said, I don't believe there's anything wrong with him anxiety or otherwise...just a regular narcissistic spoilt gun toting sociopath who f*cked up royally and needs to do time for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it is slightly different, as in he heard his car being driven at 5am...rather than his missus allegedly leaving the room for a sec to have a wee....i say slightly because anyone who shoots a gun without care and kills a loved deserves manslaughter at least...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

ffs...you pull some highly irrelevant cock and bull filled corkers out. this poor trigger happy gobsh*te didn't feel in the least bit threatened, he was looking to tag some would be thief. he would've had to have been steady as a rock with nerves of steel to take those shots from an elevated distance and nail them with pin point precision which he must have seeing as she didn't come out of it too well. he should've packed in rugby and gone straight for the SA Olympic shooting team after that night...poor dumb bas*ard.

What's the story with old Oscar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Trial resumes on Monday.

NipNip wrote: »
    What's the story with old Oscar?

He's under psychiatric observation for the last month to determine if he suffers from Anxiety Disorder.

The trial was postponed pending the results.

I wonder what the result of the observation will be?

Will it have damaged the defence or states case or no impact whatsoever, other than delaying the whole process for a good month, and removing an area that could have been used to appeal any guilty verdict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Looks like yet another delay is possible given that one of the psychiatrists on the assessment team has suffered a heart attack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28060957

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

And we're back..

The psychological report has come back and concluded that Pistorius had NO mental disorder when he killed Reeva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Nail him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

brimal wrote: »
    And we're back..

The psychological report has come back and concluded that Pistorius had NO mental disorder when he killed Reeva.

Trial should conclude pretty quickly then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

Gerrie Nell is a genius

I wonder what the result of the observation will be?

Will it have damaged the defence or states case or no impact whatsoever, other than delaying the whole process for a good month, and removing an area that could have been used to appeal any guilty verdict.

Just a delay and removing the chance for any appeals from either side on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

brimal wrote: »
    And we're back..

But that he is suffering from PTSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Call me Al wrote: »
    But that he is suffering from PTSD.

If the PTSD is as a result of the shooting it's not relavant though .

Old Nel is in top form today!

NickD wrote: »
    Old Nel is in top form today!

What happened?

This last guy seems to be a good witness for the defence in fairness.

What happened?

This last guy seems to be a good witness for the defence in fairness.

Nel tore him apart, he was doing great but Nel wore him down and questioned his expertise, the witness was stuttering and mumbling and trying to be evasive. I don't have a video but have a look at the tweets and analysis here;

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/03/oscar-pistorius-trial-day-37-in-tweets

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/oscar-pistorius-murder-trial-recap-3802367

My favourite bit is
    "Professor Derman is certainly under a lot of pressure now.He is not speaking with the confidence that he was earlier and is muttering and stumbling.
    Nel appears to be enjoying this."

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

I would be wary of going by second and third hand information. People often "see" what they want to see.

Without some actual audio, video or a transcript, there is no way to know if he was a rock star on the stand or a calamity.

• Advertisement

I would be wary of going by second and third hand information. People often "see" what they want to see.

Without some actual audio, video or a transcript, there is no way to know if he was a rock star on the stand or a calamity.

I watched it on Sky News' YouTube, Nel was amazing, I don't think that you can play it back but I'll see if I can get it!

Advertisement