Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

So the verdict is to be handed down on 11 September.

How do you think its going to go?

After Nel's arguments today & yesterday, I am leaning more towards the outright murder charge than I was previously.
    Nel: The accused intended to kill a human being. He knew there was a human being in that toilet.

That’s his evidence … He is guilty of murder. There must be consequences for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    So the verdict is to be handed down on 11 September.

How do you think its going to go?

After Nel's arguments today & yesterday, I am leaning more towards the outright murder charge than I was previously.

As an observer if the trial, it is clear to me that he murdered her. As a judge, where I have to only look at evidence presented? Gosh, what evidence can you rely on in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

NipNip wrote: »
    As an observer if the trial, it is clear to me that he murdered her. As a judge, where I have to only look at evidence presented? Gosh, what evidence can you rely on in this case?

The evidence that Nell is an EXTREMELY intelligent man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

To find him innocent you would have to suspend all belief. There is no way that she wouldn't have called out to him that it was her in the bathroom. It's that simple. Man or woman, if you are in the bathroom and your partner starts shouting at the door at an 'intruder', there is no way that you would not identify yourself.

The defence can put forward any argument they choose, but for me the simple question is why would she not identify herself and if she did answer how could he not recognise her voice?

So....Verdict tomorrow.

What are ye expecting?

I think he should be found guilty of murder because as Nel said in the closing arguments, it doesn't matter who was behind the door, he fired to kill whoever was behind it.

But, I don't think they will find him guilty of murder, I think he will get the lesser charge of man slaughter ( or culpable homicide whatever they call it).

Probably guilty on all the weapon charges too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    So....Verdict tomorrow.

What are ye expecting?

I think he should be found guilty of murder because as Nel said in the closing arguments, it doesn't matter who was behind the door, he fired to kill whoever was behind it.

But, I don't think they will find him guilty of murder, I think he will get the lesser charge of man slaughter ( or culpable homicide whatever they call it).

Probably guilty on all the weapon charges too.

I'd agree with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Guilty in my opinion. Not familluar with the RSA justice system but I hope he is put in prison for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Picture of the courtroom ahead of the verdict. There's a bucket on the bench where Oscar will sit!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxK8c2RIIAA9OHz.jpg:large

bajer101 wrote: »
    Picture of the courtroom ahead of the verdict. There's a bucket on the bench where Oscar will sit!

Is it possible that this whole trial has been the longest most elaborate Ice bucket challenge in history

Is it possible that this whole trial has been the longest most elaborate Ice bucket challenge in history

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Bloody ice-bucket challenge gets everywhere.

Given that one of the options open to the judge is to place him under house arrest, possibly at his uncles home, where he's been living since the shooting, I'm leaning towards that as the sentence the judge will give. I think he's guilty as sin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If he gets off, I wonder could his first and second names be abbreviated to OJ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Given that one of the options open to the judge is to place him under house arrest, possibly at his uncles home, where he's been living since the shooting, I'm leaning towards that as the sentence the judge will give. I think he's guilty as sin.

are you serious? as in a lengthy sentence staying at his uncles house? if so that's nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭volchitsa

How would that be a suitable sentence if he is guilty?

(Or if he were found innocent either, mind!)

My own view - I hope he is found guilty of premeditated murder of Reeve Steenkamp, but I suspect the judge will go for homicide of some sort, IOW that she will consider that he intended to kill whoever was behind the door, and was not sufficiently at risk to justify that, but that it may not be proven that he intended to murder Steenkamp.

I hope I'm wrong though, and that she throws the book at him, because I believe he did intend to kill her.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Monty Python once famously said that murder was just an extroverted suicide.

I don't think so. Nor will the judge. He's going down for 20 years minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

He is going down to China Town (I hope)

volchitsa wrote: »

(Or if he were found innocent either, mind!)

My own view - I hope he is found guilty of premeditated murder of Reeve Steenkamp, but I suspect the judge will go for homicide of some sort, IOW that she will consider that he intended to kill whoever was behind the door, and was not sufficiently at risk to justify that, but that it may not be proven that he intended to murder Steenkamp.

I hope I'm wrong though, and that she throws the book at him, because I believe he did intend to kill her.

I agree with you. There was something on Sky news earlier and they were looking at the sentencing options available to the judge, depending on what her verdict is, one of them was serving a sentence under house arrest as opposed to in prison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would be a whole lot cheaper and simpler for the state to deal with than if they had to house him in one of their prisons. They don't want to have to deal with a high profile disabled prisoner. All they need to pay for is to stick a couple of cops on his front gate and tag him. If they lock him up in an over crowded prison he'll just become an expensive and annoying pain in the neck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

robinph wrote: »
    It would be a whole lot cheaper and simpler for the state to deal with than if they had to house him in one of their prisons. They don't want to have to deal with a high profile disabled prisoner. All they need to pay for is to stick a couple of cops on his front gate and tag him. If they lock him up in an over crowded prison he'll just become an expensive and annoying pain in the neck.

What utter nonsense, do you honestly believe a reputable judge would base any part of their judgement on the back of convenience and saving the state a few quid? It may come as a shock to you but the South African prison system may also have measures in place to deal with high profile inmates and disabled inmates...and shock horror, high profile inmates with disabilities.

Your post in the last few months regarding this case have been either laughable and/or borderline trolling but you've now crossed the line into just plain idiotic and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What utter nonsense, do you honestly believe a reputable judge would base any part of their judgement on the back of convenience and saving the state a few quid? It may come as a shock to you but the South African prison system may also have measures in place to deal with high profile inmates and disabled inmates...and shock horror, high profile inmates with disabilities.

I don't think the judge will go for the house arrest option.

Doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a cheaper and easier option to actually administer though.

I don't think the judge will go for the house arrest option.

Doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a cheaper and easier option to actually administer though.

So would giving him a hefty fine and calling him a naughty boy.

Doesn't make that a suitable option, all the same.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What time is the verdict due and will it be on Sky as usual does anyone know please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Merkin wrote: »
    What time is the verdict due and will it be on Sky as usual does anyone know please?

What time is kick off tomorrow? Are Sky showing it in HD, because I've a new TV arriving in the morning?

Merkin wrote: »

There's a South African news station (ENCR?) that's been carrying all the coverage of the trial live on Sky, I'd say they'll be waiting to annouce it as it goes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

I thought it was the usual half 8 (our time) kick off, open to correction though. Also if Milady finds Mr. Pistorious guilty I would imagine his counsel with appeal asap will he be in prison while waiting appeal?

So would giving him a hefty fine and calling him a naughty boy.

Doesn't make that a suitable option, all the same.

Well that isn't an option so don't know why you're talking about it.

Well that isn't an option so don't know why you're talking about it.

Well that's what I mean - just because something is cheaper and easier doesn't make it a suitable punishment. Even when it is on the list of possible sanctions, it may be intended only for the bottom end of the scale of severity of the punishment. For instance if there really had been an intruder, and Steenkamp's death had clearly been accidental.

If you'd just said that in your view it would be excessively cruel to put a rich white disabled man into the hell hole that SA prisons probably are, that would have been closer I think to what you really meant.

(The verdict is just starting now on eNCA on Sky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

This is gonna drag on for days, then will probably be a retrial or something as tedious.

• Advertisement

Possible sentences

Guilty of premeditated murder - minimum term of 25 years
    • Guilty of murder - range from suspended to life
    • Guilty of culpable homicide (manslaughter) - suspended to 15 years
    • Acquitted - Pistorius walks free
    • Other charges (firearms charges) - maximum five years (each)

If he gets Suspended/House Arrest or a fine like some news sites are saying, I will go mad.

Advertisement