Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

Nodin wrote: »
    I knew I recognised that accent - this was all down in Cork, wasn't it.
    I was speaking more about how we whites should be outraged at the police trying to fit him up. It's obviously racism just like when the cops fitted up OJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I agree If this was a overweight unattractive random girl. People would not care as much. It happens all over the world. If a cute little blonde girl goes missing, the media can't get enough of it.

I think white, rather than blonde, in South Africa anyway : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sisonke-msimang/how-race-factors-into-the_b_5325446.html

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

disgraceful decision imo

why is there no jurys in SA?

*if there was a jury would the decision have been different ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

fryup wrote: »

Because it would be very difficult to get a fair jury of your peers that nobody would complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

fryup wrote: »
    disgraceful decision imo

*if there was a jury would the decision have been different ??

No doubt, I cant understand the system they have there. One person(with their counsel/advisers) should not be the final decision makers.

That's why we have democracy instead of dictators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

sully2010 wrote: »
    No doubt, I cant understand the system they have there. One person(with their counsel/advisers) should not be the final decision makers.

That's why we have democracy instead of dictators.

But it is not like a judge is making the decision in private and just saying that they are right and how dare anyone question them. They have to fully explain their decision and how they came to it, which is why we have her reading out a 100 page document. If there is any wrong decisions in there then there is the procedure for her to be overruled.

Seems like a very good way of getting round the problem of juries in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

robinph wrote: »
    But it is not like a judge is making the decision in private and just saying that they are right and how dare anyone question them. They have to fully explain their decision and how they came to it, which is why we have her reading out a 100 page document. If there is any wrong decisions in there then there is the procedure for her to be overruled.

Seems like a very good way of getting round the problem of juries in South Africa.

Fair enough but human nature will always take a like or dislike to other humans for whatever reasons and it can tip their judgement from one side or the other. At least with a Jury you can get the more objective opinion of a group decision.

I think the Judges behaviour was a bid odd today and I think he will be a happy man tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

OP acquitted of one gun charge - firing through open sun roof.

OP guilty of second gun charge, judge rules. Thats the shooting in the restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

He's going to be nailed for the restaurant charge though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Guilty of firing gun in restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

What happened with the manslaughter charge? Is that being left till last?

Judge Masipa: "The state has proved beyond reasonable doubt that the accused contravened section 19, read with other relevant sections of the firearms act, by unlawfully possessing 38 rounds of ammunition at his house, at 286 Bush Willow Street, Silverlake, without any right to possess the said ammunition."

So that's 2 guilty verdicts now. EDIT: Or maybe not. she is still talking about the ammo, so I dunno whats happening here. Might not be guilty at all of this one.

So manslaughter is all that's left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

OK…..this is playing out like Eastenders now! Dealing with the lesser charges and leaving the big reveal till the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

She's recapping now on all charges before leading on to the main verdict......my nerves!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

sadie06 wrote: »
    OK…..this is playing out like Eastenders now! Dealing with the lesser charges and leaving the big reveal till the end!

Not before going to a break....

I don't think he is going to serve a day in a jail at this rate.

I was sure he was going to get found guilty of the ammo charge.

Merkin wrote: »
    She's recapping now on all charges before leading on to the main verdict......my nerves!!!

That you oscer get of boards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

This woman likes the sound of her own voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Jadaol wrote: »
    Not before going to a break....

Lunch anybody??

Alex Crawford from Twitter3m
    #PistoriusTrial The S African newspapers and media coverage this morning is awash with criticism and questions about Judge's ruling y'day

I would be inclined to agree with this. I think she is being far too lenient on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cuplable Homicide confirmed

Guilty culpable homicide

Also guilty on the restaurant shooting, not guilty on the other two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Who is Mr Fresco?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Who is Mr Fresco?

Darren Fresco. He was given indemnity in exchange for giving State evidence.

So he was offered immunity from prosecution if he gave witness testimony? She's now weighing up whether or not the evidence Fresco gave was honest. I guess immunity relies on the witness not making their whole testimony up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

When will he be sentenced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The judge's assertion that he couldn't have "foreseen" the person behind the door being killed still beggars belief, but now that he's been found guilty of culpable homicide, I hope he gets a lengthy prison term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The judge's assertion that he couldn't have "foreseen" the person behind the door being killed still beggars belief, but now that he's been found guilty of culpable homicide, I hope he gets a lengthy prison term.

I was a bit confused about that. She said that for the murder charge, but did she not say the opposite when she was going through the reasonable man part for manslaughter? Or did I pick that up wrong?

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I was sure he was going to get found guilty of the ammo charge.

Missed what was going on earlier. Did he get off the illegal ammo? That is surprising.

The other verdicts have gone as I'd expected by the look of things.

Advertisement