Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked by two Alsatians and gardai say nothing they can do about it????

• 14-02-2013 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

A friend I know has early work shifts every day leaving his place at 5.30 am every morning to cycle to work and in around his area there is this *owner* of two alsatian dogs that lets his dogs run around without muzzles or leashes and sometimes this so called *owner* could be around the corner not knowing how far his dogs have gone without him or what could they be up to for about 5 minutes untill he catches up on them.

Sometimes these dogs would chase my friend playfully for a bit untill they give up and few weeks ago he approached the owner telling him he should keep a close eye on his dogs just in case considering the dogs are very playfull and who knows how somebody could react to being chased by two alsatians to which my friend got "Mind your own ****ing business!" and the *dog owner* swung few leashes at my friend afterwards (this in my opinion is not the person that owns dogs) and for the record the owner at this point was wayy behind his dogs just in a next estate that the dogs were running in so that day my friend just minded his own business and continued to cycle to work ,but today he was'nt even out the door 10 minutes when these dogs attacked him and ruined his bicycle thankfully he wasn't hurt ,but it left him in a bit of a shakey side and with a damaged bicycle that he needs to get to work and the owner just screamed abuse at him that my friend was a ****ing idiot and is making it up that his dogs attacked him.

When he got back home to call a taxi to pick him up as he was late for work he had time to call local garda station about this and they said there is nothing they can do about it because its a "civil matter".So I'm just wondering are they ****ing kidding if it wasn't just any dog,but two adult alsatians without leashes on or muzzles are roaming the streets with their owner not caring that his dogs could hurt someone is there really nothing a person can do about it?

Like fair enough its not even 6am most people would be asleep at this hour,but this owner obviously knows that there is someone who cycles to work at such ridiculous o'clock and this *owners* dogs do go for his bicycle could he not be more carefull with his dogs because first it starts off with the bicycle and then they might hospitalise someone and what then hes going to throw abuse at them too and say its their fault too??I just feel like this owner should be having his dogs taken off him for mistreatment and providing danger to his neighbours,but is there anything that could be done about this if the owner does not want to cooperate and instead tries to intimidate someone when they approach him on the subject??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

This happened to me when I was about 12 a doberman pinned me to the ground was barking/snapping at my face like that *the owner* didnt give a s**t and the guards didnt do anything took a long time for me to trust dogs again.

Now where I live a neighbour has a black alsatian and lets it run free it just smells when you wlk by but still my kids are terriffied and I get nervous because hes huge.

Im not one of these dog nazis just because of there name I have a staffie myself hes so friendly but i wouldnt let him off any dog can turn.

The guards saying to your friend there not going to do anything about it so its going to be until they bite or rip a child or adult apart before they will its just ridiculous, Id get him to ring the dog warden or the local council where he lives wondering does he even have liscences for these dogs!?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Tell him to ring the dog warden. Alsatians are on the restricted breed list and regardless of the time of day, they should be muzzled and on lead when out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NeonAddict

@Hollster2 me personally I believe any dog can be trained to be a lovely pet no matter what their breed is if they're treated right and showed whats good and bad any dog breed can be a perfect pet and really tame ,but in this case it feels like its more owners fault than anything elsehe just lets his dogs do whatever they want without caring what damage they can cause and I will surely pass on a message to my friend to ask him to contact county council and dog warden in his area to see has this owner actually got the licence for the dogs or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think this could well be a case of the police not wanting to get involved.

The officer could have had at least a word with the owner...... if he/she wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

yes me to neon believe that like that I think your right its intimidation from this owner these dogs still should be on a lead hope it goes well and he gets it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

When you say attack? What exactly happened and what did they do to him? Did they bite him, break the skin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Control of dogs act, 1986. Download it.
    Go to dog warden and guards, quote act if getting no satisfaction

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

andreac wrote: »
    When you say attack? What exactly happened and what did they do to him? Did they bite him, break the skin?

In this case, does it really matter? It's hardly the point. The man's bike is damaged, as a result of the owner of two RB dogs allowing them run loose in a public place, illegally. It doesn't make any difference, legally, whether there was any damage done to the man in this case.
    It is not just a civil matter OP, the owner was breaking the law... If you're going to allow your RB dogs run around loose, you best make damn sure they don't annoy anybody. The dog warden is definitely the person to call. Some are better than others county-wise, I know if that happened here, the owner of the two dogs would automatically get a fine.

as far as I know they went for his bike and he fell off it that's as much information as I have on it up-to this point.Will post more information if I know any more details

just got to talk to my friend apparantly the dogs ran into his bicycle and bent forks in his bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Talk to the Dog Warden, but if these dogs were attacking, they would have physically bitten/hurt him, which they didnt.

The dog warden is the best person to talk to and if the person wants to contact the owners of the dog for compensation for damages to his bike then he needs to speak to the owner or a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

as above, talk to the dog warden. I think the gardai will only get involved if a person has been actually bitten ( in my experiences anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

If the desk garda does not want to deal with ask for a higher rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Innovate

Your friend should go into Gardai Station and report it. Get name of Gardai he reported it to and just say to them that these dogs are running around and have attacked him and that he is only reporting it because someone will get hurt. The Gardai will pay him a visit then as they have been offically informed of it and if a child does get hurt it will come back to them. Id make sure to mention this too. Make sure to get Gardai name or number even if they say its a civil matter and nothing to do with them as gives them the reponsability of being informed.

Also report it to Dog Wardon.

This worked for my OH when one dog was roaming free every morning in their local area.

Advertisement