Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL Last 32, 1st Leg: Zenith St. Petersburg vs Liverpool

• 14-02-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭

Kickoff 17:00

Media preview for those of you who like that stuff:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21448058

Could be -4 or so come kickoff.

This is Liverpool's season now, and it could be effectively over at 19:00 this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It'll be foolish for Bren not to go for this competition but it would be even more foolish for him to sacrifice the league to try win it.

Strong team for pool maybe just Steven G and Carra rested but they'll lose.

2-0 zenit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oranage2 wrote: »
    sacrifice the league

What do you mean by this?

Sacrifice what league?

Liverpool are currently in 9th position, and showing absolutely nothing that says they'll finish any higher than 7th, having not beaten a team above them this season.

There would be no sacrifice, so Liverpool should definitely go all out to win the EL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

It'll be foolish for Bren not to go for this competition but it would be even more foolish for him to sacrifice the league to try win it.

sacrifice what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

League position I meant, they'll need a strong finish even if its just 6th or 7th, and Bren knows this as it was effectively what cost kenny his job well that and the catastrophic transfer saga.

On a side note I think kenny is the better manager tactical anyway and he defended the players no matter what, I thought his team played better football and he'll probably finish higher then Bren will finish, but Bren some how spoofed his was through the season, he'll slate the players one week then say they gave it their all the next. I don't see what he really has done for pool fans to say he's made progress TBH and his transfers are worse than what ken bought.

"The league" was Doni's nickname.

He was sacrificed for the good of the club.

Rip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pool players will walk off if there's any racism apparently according to the news, UEFA will love that I'm sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Pool players will walk off if there's any racism apparently according to the news, UEFA will love that I'm sure.

I sincerely hope so.
    We could have 3 black players tonight, why should they put up with that sort of behaviour WHEN it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Melion wrote: »
    I sincerely hope so.
    We could have 3 black players tonight, why should they put up with that sort of behaviour WHEN it happens.

Agreed, but what did UEFA say after that Milan game when Boteang walked off? Something along the lines of "it's not the solution", but I'd love to see them try and sanction us if a walk off does happen tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This is the one time I'm hoping for some Racism in a game, just to see what UEFA would do to Zenit in the coming days if Racism forced Liverpool off the field.

In true UEFA fashion theyed probably hand the tie to Zenit and sweep it under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I sincerely hope Liverpool walk off the pitch tonight if they are subjected to racial abuse. The first step was Milan ... but that was friendly. This is a competitive fixture on a huge European stage - time to force the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm sure the jokes re Liverpool and Suarez would be just hilarious if indeed there is a racism issue tonight...

Also, the thing is, with a crowd like that tonight there more than likely will be racial abuse from certain sections, its just a matter of whether its picked up on and becomes a big deal.

Hopefully not, although I get what GavRedKing is saying. Some short term pain now could benefit the game in the long run if FIFA/UEFA act accordingly. I just can't see that happening however.

Hopefully these games are decided on purely footballing matters, as it does have the potential to be quite a good two legged tie.

Edit: Just as I post this, Leftist starts with the Suarez 'jokes' already... Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As cold in Liverpool as St Petersburg recently so I don't think weather will be any issue (Zenit have been sunning themselves in southern Turkey so will feel the cold more I'd say).

It'll be interesting to know which Hulk turns up today, he's scored just a few goals this season and seems to be picking up a handy pay cheque rather than being much interested in playing football. In fact the club like Liverpool only has one real goal scorer - Kerzhakov. Keep him quiet and a draw or even a narrow win is certainly possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

They've been advised NOT to walk off the pitch
    Liverpool have since written to both Zenit and Uefa to "express concern" about the incident, but have advised players not to walk off the pitch in protest at abuse from the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Feels very wrong saying it but yeah I'd hope there will be something racist that happens and the players do walk off. Force UEFA to act.
    Odd that it could be Liverpool to force the issue after the debacle of last season but it could be exactly the right kind of spin they need to put the Suarez saga behind them.
    Think I'll leave this one out of any accumulator just in case it ends early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Unfortunately it is going to take a team walking off for UEFA to address the issue properly, but personally I hope Sterling and Sturridge get the winning goals in both legs and UEFA have their hand forced some other time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

With the second leg at home and no game the following weekend we are nicely set up for this tie, we stitched ourselves up agreeing to moving the swansea game to this sunday because now thats in the back of our minds tonight aswell

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is going to take a team walking off for UEFA to address the issue properly, but personally I hope Sterling and Sturridge get the winning goals in both legs and UEFA have their hand forced some other time.

Cup tied, why don't people to know this? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

klose wrote: »
    With the second leg at home and no game the following weekend we are nicely set up for this tie, we stitched ourselves up agreeing to moving the swansea game to this sunday because now thats in the back of our minds tonight aswell

No choice to move the Swansea game since the game at the end of the month clashed with them getting to the Capital One final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

mike65 wrote: »
    Cup tied, why don't people to know this? :confused:

Forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I mean this in the nicest possible way & not understating how important the issue of racism is but the players should not get distracted by anything off the football pitch. Go there and with a professional attitude get the job done. Don't react to the crowd and let the authorities deal with Zenit and their fans.

We have more than enough to get a result here. I just hope with attack with purpose & take any chances that come our way. These guys are not anything special

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

FU Lloyd for your spelling mistake in the thread title. Can you or a mod please remove the 'h' from 'Zenith' please? Not being spelling nazi like, but a mistake like that in a thread title should be fixed on sight imo.

Pretty please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Any radio stations I can listen to this on. Wont be finished work to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    FU Lloyd for your spelling mistake in the thread title. Can you or a mod please remove the 'h' from 'Zenith' please? Not being spelling nazi like, but a mistake like that in a thread title should be fixed on sight imo.

Pretty please.

I'd make the font larger if I could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Start a new thread and spell every word wrong...really piss him off:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Phoenix wrote: »
    Do ye feel confident of turning Zenit over?

Not really.

We don't have Sturridge so there will more than likely be a lot of faffing about the opponents box with no one in there to gamble on mistakes or the odd ball in.

We havent a hope in this competition imo.

Its the first leg of the tie so Zenit cannot be turned over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd be extremely disappointed if we did not tbh.

I know they have some great players, but they're not playing well as team at all this year as far as I know, and Danny will be a huge loss for them also.

Also, the Russian League is on a break at the moment so Zenit haven't played a competitive game since December.

Our players should be up for this as well, no excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Unfortunately there's not much to sacrifice any more after that WBA defeat.

I suppose it's still reasonable to suggest we could finish ahead of Everton in 6th, which possibly (correct me if I'm wrong) could be a Europa League spot if the FA Cup final is contested by 2 of the top teams already qualified for Europe.

But in general I would agree that Europa League is priority.

Scary to think our season could be all but over after tonight.

No idea what to expect as I don't really know how could Zenit are, but hopefully we can come away with a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is the game on 3e or the likes?

Yes and ITV4 (which is what you'll watch if you can!)

I will be out when this game is on and I'm not even going to bother recording it. Just hope this is a happy thread when I see it later! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Melion was right about you all along. I'll have my revenge somehow. Yes, you heard me.

Somehow.

Despite Zenit not having played a competitive game in over 2 months I have a bad feeling about tonight. Hopefully there will be no Valentine's Day Massacre type headlines (unless it is Liverpool doing the massacring, unlikely as that probably is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

#LFC team v Zenit: Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Carragher, Skrtel, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Downing, Suarez.

LFC subs v Zenit: Jones, Coates, Lucas, Borini, Shelvey, Suso, Wisdom.

Strong team. Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

#LFC team v Zenit: Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Carragher, Skrtel, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Downing, Suarez.

LFC subs v Zenit: Jones, Coates, Lucas, Borini, Shelvey, Suso, Wisdom.

Will Skrtel get a good reception? I'm interested to see what the atmosphere will be like as a whole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool should walk off at the first sight of a racist... resisting Suarez related punch line...

It's tough to call this game, knowing Liverpool's bipolar form it could be a 4-0 win or a 4-0 loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Malafeev ; Anyukov, Lombaerts, Neto, Hubocan ; Witsel, Denisov, Shirokov ; Hulk, Kerzhakov, Danny

Hubocan's not in his favoured position, he's the one who should be got at. Would personally play Downing on left, Sterling right in this one.

• Advertisement

Young bench for Liverpool. About average age of 20 I'd say once Jones is discounted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

mike65 wrote: »
    Young bench for Liverpool. About average age of 20 I'd say once Jones is discounted
    It mightbe mentioned so apologies , but is the game on itv or other channels ?

cjmc wrote: »

ITV4 + 3e

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ITV4 and 3e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

on 3e

ITV4 not showing in it here(ireland)

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    on 3e

ITV4 not showing in it here(ireland)

They are if you have Sky. That's where I'm watching it. UPC not showing it on ITV4 though as they are blocking it.

5starpool wrote: »
    They are if you have Sky. That's where I'm watching it. UPC not showing it on ITV4 though as they are blocking it.

Maybe they have a Film On instead?

Cripes, dodgy start there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Good save Pepe one minute into the match :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

give lots of updates folks, some of us still in work :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement