Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

batch server

Options
  • 14-02-2013 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

guys

anyone make a recommendation for a batch server? I haven't the first clue where to start. basically I have a bunch of *.bat files that run a couple of times a day using windows task scheduler but its not the best solution in the world and when theres an issue its hard to track down. Also we'll be most probably increasing the numbers of jobs running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

What do the .bat files do?

You can put error checking and logging into them but it is probably best to re-write then in PowerShell or Python.

As par a Server to run .bat files, how about MS DOS 3.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

What do the .bat files do?

You can put error checking and logging into them but it is probably best to re-write then in PowerShell or Python.

As par a Server to run .bat files, how about MS DOS 3.2?

From what I know they zip and copy multiple files a couple of times a day maybe some FTP too honestly I'm not involved in the process and haven't much knowledge on the bat files or what they do I've just been asked to look for different solution

Basically we have a bunch of bat files that copy move and zip one will run then call another that calls another etc there's hundreds of the buggers that run multiple times aday and to me it's sloppy and hard to trace if there's an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

With out know what it's doing can give you options.

I have a few scripts with logging and error checking in work that stop services, 7z the data including the DB then copies them over to a remote server.

I can dig out a copy but from the sound of it somebody need to sit out and work out the business logic of what your company needs and re-build it from scratch.

But Auto-IT, Power Shell, BATCH Files and Python are your friends.

Also PSTools and a few other tools.
    Faolchu wrote: »
    From what I know they zip and copy multiple files a couple of times a day maybe some FTP too honestly I'm not involved in the process and haven't much knowledge on the bat files or what they do I've just been asked to look for different solution

Basically we have a bunch of bat files that copy move and zip one will run then call another that calls another etc there's hundreds of the buggers that run multiple times aday and to me it's sloppy and hard to trace if there's an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Faolchu wrote: »

Somebody should be responsible for what those batch files do. The person or team should document exactly what those batch files are doing - the same person or team can then specify what they want changed.

It might well be the case that the whole process can be simplified and replaced with something more modern and easier to support.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zip and copy

zip
    if the files are all different consider NTFS compression - it's transparent
    if space is an issue the consider 7zip (7za at command line)
    TBH unless you are emailing or have some good reason to compress hard drive storage is cheap
    if the files are very similar then zip them with NO compression and then a second pass to compress the whole lot (can't remember the 7za command line for doing all files as a block in one step)

copy
    there are umpteen file replication utilities out there - with scheculing or even event drives - so replicated as and when new files arrive
    robocopy is good as it only copies changed stuff
    rcopy is good as it only copies the parts of files that have changed

instsrv / http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192
    to setup a batch file as a service ( use cmd to run it ) - this is handy as you can set it to auto restart

If you must have a command line

Other option is to install cygwin and add it to the Dos Path , you then get lots of linux command line utils too. One of the advantages of this is that the synthax and default actions of the commands doesn't change as often as for DOS

• Advertisement
Advertisement