Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronics store that allow part payment or finance

Options
  • 14-02-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey

Does anyone know is there electronic store that provides finance to allow you to buy pricey electronics and pay for them over time?

Specifically I want to buy the TV below (available from power city) but AFAIK they dont provide finance. Harvey Norman do provide finance, but they dont stock this model of TV

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-37LM620&pages=1&prod=37LM620&brands=LG&image=

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do Argos still do it?

I think PC World/Currys are offering it now. Saw a flyer for it in their carrickmines store on Monday.

HM do flexi rent/lease as well

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah Harvey Norman's do that flexi rent stuff,

OP, its very likely that you'd be better off getting a credit union loan and paying the item outright, its likely alot cheaper then any store finance setup that you'll be offered,

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Thanks guys, I will have a look into Argos/PC World/Currys.

As you say Cabaal I would really be better getting a loan and pay for it outright. ITs a far higher quality of TV available from PowerCity for similar money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah Harvey Horman's do that flexi rent stuff,

OP, its very likely that you'd be better off getting a credit union loan and paying the item outright, its likely alot cheaper then any store finance setup that you'll be offered,

Not necessarily, some of them have, or had, interest free options of up to a year. Once the year is up the interest rate will be quite high but pay it off before then and you're grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you had cash you wouldn't need a payment plan.

The cost of the item is the same if you're paying in cash, card or one of their payment plans, there's no difference. Where they make the money is when people don't pay it off after the interest free year is up. I'm not necessarily talking about Littlewoods here but for a long time Harvey Norman had such a plan, the price you pay in cash is the price you paid on their plan, as long as you paid in full before the year was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

If you went in with cash you could negotiate a better price than if you were making "interest free" payments.

I don't get this whole "cash" is better than any other option opinion? Is that still true? It would be really weird with a company like HN, or even DID or PowerCity. I can't see how it suits the company better, the only possible gain is what, 1-3% in the missed banking fees?

( Unless when other posters mean "cash" they just mean an option other than the loans. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I don't get this whole "cash" is better than any other option opinion? Is that still true? It would be really weird with a company like HN, or even DID or PowerCity. I can't see how it suits the company better, the only possible gain is what, 1-3% in the missed banking fees?

( Unless when other posters mean "cash" they just mean an option other than the loans. :) )

Yeah don't think they really care about cash price.

Most of those stores get payed in full by the third party money lender.

Consumer is signing the payment contract with the the money lender, not Harvey Norman etc.

Harvey are getting payed either way and probably get kick backs from the money lenders and extra's if they catch people.

I reckon they prefer credit based payment, more money in the long run, they can add in insurance and all that extra crap for just a few euro extra a month :D

Advertisement